Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New to shifting...couple questions??

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2001, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting used to shifting my Raptor but I am curious about one thing. So far I shift like you would on an auto-clutch.(Newby style) I gas it, let off, clutch, shift, then hit the gas again...not the sportiest but still very fun. I tried shifting with the throttle on but noticed it didn't "feel" right. Seemed rough. Am I missing something? Everyone says to hit the gas, leave the gas, clutch and shift under throttle... Can this harm the clutch? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

I edited this to make it a bit clearer...

Old 06-01-2001, 09:15 PM
Pro Rider

Use the clutch! Just pull it in and shift and let it out, if you shift without using the clutch or letting off the throttle you can mess up gears real easy..

Old 06-01-2001, 10:08 PM
Pro Rider

BrokemyBanshee, I forgot to state that in the first post. I do use the clutch (how could I have forgoten to say that?!?!) but it's keeping the throttle pinned while clutching/shifting that "feels" rough. Thats what I meant to say. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2001, 10:31 PM
Range Rover

I used to shift like that in a drag race, and didn't understand why I was not winning. Finally one of my riding buddies gave me the pointer: keep the throttle pinned while you shfit with clutch/shifter. At first it was ackward, but after a few practices, I managed to win a few races. A few times I hit false neutral between 1st and 2nd which frustrated the !@#$ out of me...

Old 06-01-2001, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

You could do it the "hard" way...like most MXers (and me) do.
Stay wide open, slightly slip the clutch while pushing the gear in...but it causes a short overevv. That's absolutely no problem on 2 strokes (it's very short), but on 4 strokes...overevv = valve bouncing = valve and piston meet = big repairs. For your safety, you can add a "maybe" with the "=". If the rev limiter is restrictive, then it could be pretty safe...
Otherwise, you can "powershift"...I think that's how it's called. You don't touch the clutc, butlet off the gas enough to "destress" the gears and gear will slip in. That works, but you have to pay attention to it.

Old 06-02-2001, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

He's back!!

Old 06-02-2001, 12:47 AM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Zorro. I have been power shifting for years, if you get good at it you can beat Polarises with the right machine. The only problem with it is if you are on a hill, it's harder to get the stress off the gears, and then I use the clutch. I also use the clutch to down shift, you are slowing down anyway so it don't hurt. The only time I pull in the clutch while staying on the gas is if the engine is bogging down in the mud, and then I watch to not let it over rev. I also found a new trick you can do if you get good at power shifting, if you are reving out in a wheelie you can up shift and keep going, this takes a lot of practice.