Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Transmission Testemonials!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2001, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have noticed that more and more people are reporting the broken tranny on thier Raptors. Here's an idea for all of us Raptor owners--> If you have had trouble with the transmission or even the carb boot popping off, write it here. That way if one of our fellow riders has to go to the dealer, they will have some backup. We could print out the different testemonials just in case... and show them if need be!

I am definately getting a three-year garantee but this could be beneficail in showing the dealers that there is a real possible problem and not just isolated incidents. It would make it harder for them to brush you all off and make you pay for the repairs! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Just an idea...

Old 06-06-2001, 06:09 PM
Range Rover

That sounds good to me. Come on guys, post away.

Old 06-07-2001, 06:52 PM
Pro Rider

I have had the tranny and carb problems with mine. The tanny gears where replaced under warrenty with the same part number but was suspose to be a new desighn, ( two dealers have told me this) The carbs blowing off Yamaha knows about and will fix under warrenty if you ask about it. They will put on new boots and clamps and have a new ( diffrent then originaly ) setting for the icle circut.
That is a good idea about printing out the reports of peoples problems, thats what I did to convince my dealer to look into the problems I was having, and to show him it wasnt just me!!

Old 06-07-2001, 09:21 PM
Weekend Warrior

Got mine last Sept. last 6 digits of the VIN# 004805. Problems I've encountered.

1. Rear Shock leaked first week (dealer replaced, no problems since).
2. Carbs blew off 3 times the first 2 months (warranty fix, ok since).
3. Getting false neutrals (shift to 2nd but falls to neutral, NOT GOOD)
I hope I didn't jinks it by talking about it but, so far it's still
intacked and the neutral are very infrequent. (Man, I'd like to get
a count of how many 2nd's have gone so far)
4. Can anyone say extended warranty!

The bike has been stock up till now and has about 60 hours on it.
Hope this helps our cause...(This is a great forum)

Parts waiting to be put on as soon as I can find time.

2001 Blue
GYT-R A-ARMS
GYT-R ENGINE SKID
GYT-R SWING ARM SKID
GYT-R SHOCK COVERS
GYT-R FRONT GRAB BAR
GRAYDON NERFS
WHITE BROS E SERIES
DYNOJET KIT (150/155 & 27.5)????
RENTHAL BANSHEE BARS (Gel Grips)
PRO FLOW FILTER kit

Need to order 12t front sprocket (I hear this does wonders) and PRM desert rear grab bar.

Old 06-08-2001, 12:26 AM
Range Rover

I went back to the forum and searched for all tranny related posts. Here are the results to the best of my searching ability. Please note "my friend's cousin's buddy's Raptor tranny broke" doesn't count. These are actually forum members who have posted their tranny related experiences.

Gear Replaced:
2StrokeDieHard
swytak
DuneJammer
Bandit99
ZebraTrailer
BigitE1

rough shifting
bash

false neutrals
BlueReptile (me)
raptorron
jwranger
xtreme65

Non-specific
Bajadog

Conclusion
Is the problem real? Yes. Will yours develope the same problem? Only time will tell. Is it a wide-spread problem? You make the call. I too experienced false neutrals and hopefully it's not an indication of problems to come. But during the meantime I'm gonna stop worrying about it and enjoy my ride. Just paraphrasing here: "Ride it like you stole it!"

My two cents!

Old 06-08-2001, 12:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

Boot problems here. One has a rip in it and there on backorder and the other one is coming off. Now what I'm I to do not ride untill Yamaha gets me a new boot. I here that they changed those boots and now have new ones to solve the problem.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2001, 12:55 AM
Pro Rider

You must have missed me. I have posted about my trans problems. I have had my trans go, carb boots, bent axle and the only one i havent had happen yet is the clutch going. If the dealers dont believe you tell them to check the dirtwheels where it says that the raptor is a great bike besides its questionable reliability issues. That shuold get the point across. I am doing my tranny work myself so i will let you guys know if they are actaully making a better gear or if they are just giving everyone a false sense of security saying its better. If mine isnt better its going down the road. Maybe its just time to quit going fast and go play in the mud.

Old 06-08-2001, 01:18 AM
Pro Rider

I myself have hit those false neutrals a few times in the past month. I thought it was just me that didn't shift far enough between 1st and 2nd... I bought this quad coming off of Polaris. I thought I would have piece of mind. Looks like piece of mind will cost me 1000$(canadian) for the 3 year garantee...and it doesn't even cover the carbs!

Old 06-08-2001, 02:08 AM
Trailblazer

I have not yet had the tranny problem.....but something just doesn't seem right. I know that is pretty vague, maybe I am just paranoid, but every now and then I will hear a sound I don't like coming from the general area of the tranny that I don't like. I am only a couple hours away from my valve adjustment and am hoping to get the dealer to inspect the tranny at the same time. I have blown the left boot off once at approximately 17 hrs.

Old 06-08-2001, 07:35 AM
Range Rover

Looks like ive been spoken for already, all of you that are experiencing false neutrals wear a helmet and get ready to go over the bars. It will only miss shift so many times till you aint in kansas anymore. All of the dammage to my plastic and bars are from a 40+ mph tranny lockup. Broke some ribs. When the tranny let go, it took out every rotating part in the tranny and engine including piston rod and crank... Good luck and may the force be with you.

Quick Reply: Raptor Transmission Testemonials!