Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Transmission Testemonials!

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2003, 11:02 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Raptor Transmission Testemonials!

Just to add to this, my friend has an 01 Raptor with around 150-200 hours. Problems with it:

- Stator Plate - Went out twice, about once a year - Warrenty Fixed
- Front shocks blown - Could be from inverting them - His Problem to fix
- Axle bearing chewed up - Warrenty Fixed
- Popping carbs off - Running low octain(sp?), 87 and put on better hose clamps. Haven't poped off since running lower octain fuel.

Tranny was making noise, but stopped using reverse and haven't hand any more noise or issues.

Old 05-28-2003, 11:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ProXPredator
Just to add to this, my friend has an 01 Raptor with around 150-200 hours. Problems with it:- Stator Plate - Went out twice, about once a year - Warrenty Fixed- Front shocks blown - Could be from inverting them - His Problem to fix- Axle bearing chewed up - Warrenty Fixed- Popping carbs off - Running low octain(sp?), 87 and put on better hose clamps. Haven't poped off since running lower octain fuel.Tranny was making noise, but stopped using reverse and haven't hand any more noise or issues.
No doubt that the 01 Rap has problems and Yamaha does'nt care.....but you may want too go out and clean up that headpipe before it rusts away on you...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img].

Old 05-29-2003, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

Were you refering to the Raptor? I believe he is having it 'jet hot' coated or something? I don't know much about that, he read it somewhere. Susposed to keep it cooler and last longer than having it chromed? Not sure.

Old 06-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Range Rover

I agree, talk about kicking a dead horse. I've worked on few 01 trannys and most of problem have been 2nd gear dogs breaking off (maybe from hitting neutral when shifting to 2nd and then banging the dogs). Anyway, other than that, I haven't seen trendy problems with other gears.

I'm not sure what RaptorJay is talking about when he said Raptors have many manufacturing mistakes??? If used for racing, yes it needs a lot of mods and aftermarket parts to keep it competative but so do theres. I don't think Yamaha market the Rapter as race machine. If that was the case, it would come with YZ warranty and Cannondale price tag.

My 02 Raptor is still going strong. I geared it down (1 tooth smaller front sprocket, 2 up on rear) and it is sweet.

By the way, anyone put money down on the new YFZ450? My ddealer told me that it will smoke the Predator and weighs 60 lbs or so less. 350 lb bike, thats sweet. I heard that it will out run the Raptor until it hits top speed. Look out ATV Racing, all others will be crying the BLUEs.