Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Local ride nightmare, but still fun!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2001, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this is a little long, but I thought I'd tell ya about our weekend.
This weekend was a nightmare...Saturday we went to Susquehannock...the trails weren't too bad and the little bit of mud they had was great! The nightmare started on our ride home in our POS F-150. It decided to start knocking (hubby's thinkin it's a rod bearing), so we're worried all the way home that this thing is going to blow the heck up. But it did make it home, thank God. We decided we were going to go riding Sunday morning around here. To start our lovely Sunday morning, hubby decided to go through the mudhole at the bottom of Big Murph. Now, there's two mudholes side by side there. He tried the little one with his stock tires, and couldn't get out going forward cuz of the ruts, but he got out in reverse. Well, I guess he decided to really try out those 589 M/Ts and go through the other one that the pick-up trucks go through. Needless to say, he got stuck. He had to get off the Sportsman and get into this mud just to get the chain hooked. But my Kodiak did pull him out. So now, he's all muddy and wet.

We decide to go over to what is called the "devils playground" and play in the mudhole over there. So here's my hubby and his brother (in his 2001 Kodiak 2WD) just wreakin havoc in this mudhole. I went through it, and then decided to play in the shallow watery part. I guess I played a little too much, and got water in my belt housing. So here I am, trying to climb back up this hill, and I'm not going anywhere. So I get pi$$ed and get off the bike, wanting to kick the heck out of it. They ended up having to take off the air thing under the rear of the bike, take it halfway up the hill, and tilt it up to get the water out. So, all that is done and the bike is doin ok now. Not slipping.

So we find a place to do a cookout, and all is going well. When we left, Brian decided to take a different way out and ended up trying to go up a hill that was packed at the bottom and loose at the top. Mike and I are waiting at the cross road for him. When I look back, there's Brian, stuck about 3 feet from the top of this hill, leaning over his handlebars with a death grip on the brakes, yelling for us to come help. We had to hook the chain to his Kodiak (without touching it ) and pull him the rest of the way up the hill. He said when he finally let go of the brakes, his arms were shaking like jello.

So we decide to go to Burger Hut for ice cream. We go, get out ice cream, and on the way back, there's this pit. I don't know what kind of pit it was, but it looked like most of it was dried up (Kinda looked like a big dried up pond). This pit is in the middle of the strippins (should have been warning #1). We all decide we're gonna go down there and play around. One end of this pit all dried up, the other end looked like there was a little bit of mud. I'm playing around at the shallow end of the pit, having fun slinging this muddy looking stuff around...Hubby is going in deeper than I would, but he's having fun...Brother-in-law (Brian) is playing around near me. I'm starting to feel like I'm going to get stuck, so I quit (one of us had to be smart). So, I go back to where it's sorta dried up, and I'm watching them. Mike (Hubby) decided to do a figure eight through this thing. Brian is starting to follow Mike's tracks, and get mud in his eye...so he STOPS! When Brian starts to go again, guess what?!?! He's STUCK! His wheels aren't going anywhere, they're just caking up with this mud/clay junk. Self-cleaning tires my a$$! About 2 seconds after we realize Brian got stuck....Mike's STUCK! But Mike is really stuck. We only saw about 2 inches of his back tires. So here I am, pi$$ed beyond belief, wondering how the heck I'm gonna get these guys out of this mess with my little ole Kodiak. So we get out the chain and hook it up to Brian's Kodiak. As I start pulling, I start sinking. Well, he's not going anywhere. This stuff is like a quicksand version of clay. You stand on it, you sink to your thighs. Scary chit! Well, Mike is stuck about 20 feet from shore, and the only shore is a hill. I ain't pulling nobody out on a hill. So we finally realize that we're screwed! Mike had to take the Kodiak (leaving me and Brian there) go get Brian's truck, get to the house to get more chains and cable, and of course, the trusty 4 ton ***-a-long. While he's gone, we notice big bear tracks and small bear tracks in this clay crap. I made Brian go back to his Kodiak and get his 9mm. I wasn't hanging around this place without it. It's about 7pm when Mike gets back with all the stuff. We hook up the chains and the ***-a-long and get Brian out. Then it's Mike's turn. After about an hour of cranking on this ***-a-long, his Sportsman had only moved about 10 feet (if that!). We were getting no where quick. We decided to try to hook the chains and the cumalong to Brians truck to see if we could pull him out that way. Well, we finally got him out with the help of Brians truck. I swear there was about 300 lbs of clay/mud on these bikes! There was so much on the Sportsmans fenders that they were hanging down almost touching the tires.

Oh, I forgot, while Mike was getting Brian's truck, he had to get EMS for these two kids. One was on a dirtbike and one was on a three wheeler, and I guess they collided. The one kid was laying on the ground out cold twitching like a fish out of water.

SHould there have been some kind of sign telling us we shouldn't have went riding Sunday?
Nightmare pics are up!!

Old 06-17-2001, 10:37 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well your first mistake was thinking a 9mm would protect you from a bear attack. better trade that in for a .454 casull.