Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

warrrior missing after warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2001, 11:02 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey all! New to the forum, thought maybe somebody out there could help me out. I have a 92 warrior with about 50 hours on it. I bought it from an older gentleman and it is in basicly new condition. I rode it for a few days and it ran great. I deciced to wash it and did a thorough job. Now, after the bike warms up, it misses and stalls. Do you think this could be the coil? I am opened to suggestions here and would appreciate the input. Thanks guys[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2001, 11:32 AM
Trailblazer

maby you just got water in your gas....

Old 06-17-2001, 11:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply. The big idles fine and runs at 1/2 throttle, then it shuts off, maybe reverse switch or e brake switch????

Old 06-17-2001, 01:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

switches neede to be checked also check the neutral wire under the shifter! any who it really sounds as if you got some crudola in your float bowl and main jet. easy fix take carb off take float bowl off then clean it out! check the main jet for doodley poop take it out ( screws out) look through it too see. Also make sure the carb vent tube is obstruction free, comprende' amigo? lemme know if this works
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-17-2001, 04:28 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks a lot for the info. Just got back from a ride and the thing ran great for the first 5 minutes. Then it started to bog real bad. If you stopped and pulled the clutch in you could rev it up and it was smooth. It was just trying to build speed after it seems to warm up that it wants to bog down. It always starts right back up though. HELP!!!

Old 06-17-2001, 11:13 PM
Weekend Warrior

I,ve got an 88 warrior that had exactly the same problem when I got it. It would start up and idle fine and run fine until it got warmed up(maybe 4 or 5 minutes), then it would still idle fine but would miss/bog if you tried to take off and ride. However it would still idle fine and would start back up ok if it died. After a post on this board, I tried a couple things. First I replaced the coil and plug, following the advice of a local mech. This didn't help. You might try to use someone elses coil if you know someone with a similar year warrior. The coils are different on some models.
Next I tried the things suggested by people on the board. I drained and cleaned the tank. I removed, dissasembled, and cleaned the carb thoroughly. And finally, (and I think the thing that fixed it) I checked and consequently adjusted the valve clearances. The exhaust valve on mine was way out of adjustment. The pilot air was set incorrectly on mine as well, but I suspect the previous owner adjusted it trying to fix the miss/bog/die problem.
If I were you I would check the valve clearance first, because one of the people that responded to my post had the same problem and that worked on his as well. Also, valve clearances, are just something you should check every so often anyway. The correct valve clearance for your model will be in a Clymer manual. If you don't have a Clymer manual for your warrior, you might consider buying one. 25 or 30 bucks is a good deal for everything that's in there.

Good Luck

Diggler

Old 06-17-2001, 11:33 PM
Pro Rider

Check your ground wire that goes to the revers lever. try grounding it to something and see if it runs good then. I have herd of this problem on warriors were the wire breads or pinchs and after that it runs like crap. Try it see what happens.

Old 06-18-2001, 12:09 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks diggler, that is exactly what is happening to mine. It starts and runs great at idle then it subsequently shuts down as if you pulled the key off. It does start right back up though, you just can't give it any fuel. ordered my clymer book today from ebay for 29$. I got a great deal on this warrior. It is a 92 and still has the original tires and looks new. When I first got it it ran great with a little valve noise, the guy I bought it from said that he never took in for the service because he never rode it. Are the valves easy to adjst? Thanks for all the great info!

Old 06-19-2001, 12:45 AM
Pro Rider

but if it runs fine when you pull in the clutch and rev it then the valves cant be your problem. it has to be some kind of switch or something along those lines like metioned before.