Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Permanent Raptor tranny fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2001, 05:09 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JS660R, It's good to see there are still idiots among us...makes us realize how lucky we are to be intelligent.(spell that right?!?!) Thank-you for your great words of wisdom. What could we expect from an ex-Honda rider. The day you are allowed to open your mouth to give us opinions on "our" quads is the day you own one and know what your talking about.

I happen to ride one of those crappy so-called Polaris sportquads along with my Raptor. I must be a "mindless weekend warrior" as you put it. I love all my ATV's and I do know how to shift. Not bad for a "mindless weekend warrior" hehehe...

Have a nice day! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-21-2001, 05:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

Ya know I didn't say there wasn't a place for a Polaris. I saw one with a ton of chains on top of the cargo racks. It was on the front of a U.S. battle-ship. I think they drive them off the front for an anchor.

I think I need a box of Puffs for all of these sob stories. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

JS

Old 06-21-2001, 06:33 PM
Trailblazer

Ok js660r that last post was good!

I sat on a Scrambler earlier this week. You have to be bow-legged as a cowboy to swing a leg over one. Also, what do they weigh? 600lbs.?
This isn't a sport machine. It's a....well a ....Boat Anchor!
Polaris makes great utility quads. They just can't expect to throw different plastic on one and call it a sport quad.

Regarding the PVT: Anyone who knows anything about sleds knows how to make a belt clutch destroy a manual clutch machine!
Have you ever seen a 500lb. sled stand straight up on the rear boggie wheels? I have, more than once. When set up correctly, you can't shift faster than a belt clutch.

I don't think Polaris has a problem with reliabilty, it's the girth of the machine that's the problem.

Old 06-21-2001, 10:06 PM
Pro Rider

js660r,
Hmm... you know, its funny. You say that because I ride a Polaris, I don't know how to shift. Because ANYONE rides a Polaris, they don't know how to shift.
I own a Polaris Xplorer. I don't seem to have any trouble shifting my friend's Warrior, or my uncle's CBR600 F4i, or my brother's Ford Ranger, for that matter.
My uncle owns a Polaris Sportsman. He never seems to have any problem shifting his F4i, either.
My friend owns a Polaris Xpedition, do you REALLY think he's got any problem shifting that?

Now, since you've proven yourself to be judgemental and rather annoying, does that mean that ALL Yamaha riders are judgemental and annoying?
According to your line of reasoning, they MUST!

I know better. I really hope you do, too.

Old 06-21-2001, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider

Hehehe Campy! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Don't worry, ignorance isn't brand oriented. Look at me for instance! One year ago I was all Polaris 100% until trying different brands and I learned that they all have there advantages and disadvantages. There are still barands I would not touch but thats just personal preference. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] Me smarter now...

The Raptor is worth every penny and every "possible" problem that it "could" have.

Old 06-22-2001, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

I thought this subject was about a Raptor transmission?

Old 06-24-2001, 08:55 PM
Trailblazer

Guys!!,
I didn't mean to start a fight here. I just made a simple statement that a polaris is not a race bike, period. If anyone has beef with that, just look at any race standings and you will see a polaris where? nowhere!! unless it posts everyone and someone showed up to a MX when they thought it was a mud bog. get real, a 550 lb quad is a tank, might as well mount a gun turret as well. As far as the tranny goes, I did some research and the 2002 gears wont be out till september, BUT CT should have some soon so call them and bug em a little to speed things up. No settle down polaris owners, grab a beer, and if you still think your bike is a race bike, come out to the MX track and get whipped on some cause I think everyone who does have a race bike is getting tired of listening to the nonsense.
Have a nice day
Josh

Old 06-24-2001, 10:39 PM
Pro Rider

can you see a 600 pound quadgoing up a nice sized camel back jump that a raptor can take very easily? didn't think so, looks to me that would get the point across to you polaris riders what we mean by polaris isnt our prefrance. BTY you never see them in MX standings anywhere except in the Polaris divisions, I mean women have dewvesions, and 90cc quads have their own divisions, shouldnt polaris riders just ride with one of them? and even though they make nice utility quads, myself i ahvent seen them in utility race standings either, but i may have overlooked that. Two words say what i just said, "PVT" and "Tank"

Old 06-24-2001, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

OH HOW I LOVE TO READ these good posts like this one. As a Raptor owner that has had the tranny problem I thought raptor18's post was very informative, and a little funny with the knock on Polaris. It seems for a Yamaha forum there is an awful lot of Polaris riders in here worrying about the Raptor and seem to know a lot about them for not owning one!! I don't have a Polaris, don't care for them, BUT don't bash anyone for owning them ether. I have never been in the Polaris forum and never plan go in, and don't really understand why there are polaris people so interested in the Raptor post but yet say they hate them. I can understand the occasional bash or slam on a Raptor in the Polaris forum but to do it in this forum makes absolutely no sense to me!!! If you plane on bashing me for my thoughts save your fingers as i will not reply or most likely not even read this post again!!!

Old 06-25-2001, 10:08 AM
Pro Rider

Raptor18
I never said that a Polaris would make a good quad for racing. I KNOW that they wouldn't, because I know first hand just how heavy a 600lb. quad really is! But you know what? I don't care how heavy it is, I LIKE MY ATV!

Also, I'm not stupid enough to take it to an MX track, because I know that 760lbs. on the suspension would kill it over some of those jumps, even with the preload jacked way up. Besides... why would you want to take a sport-utility ATV MXing, anyway?

Also, for those of you who are surprized to see an excess amount of Polaris owners here on the Yamaha forums, I just check in here to see what's going on with Yamaha. I've got a few friends that own Yamahas, and if there's a major problem with them (Raptor tranny, carb boots... stuff like that), usually I'll tell them about it. Also, what fun would it be to ONLY look at one forum? I think its fun to "get out", if you will, from the brand that you own and take a look at the other brands' forums (I check into Honda and occasionally Bombardier, Suzuki, and Arctic Cat, as well).

2strokeDiehard, there is a surprizingly small amount of bashing that goes on in the Polaris forum. Most of the threads are people who want advice with clutching, piping, etc... The only real time we get nasty is when others come in there and purposefully start something (Hi Raptor18, lol).

To conclude, I don't hate Yamaha. Not one bit. A friend of mine recently purchased a Warrior, and I love that little thing. One of my other friends just bought a Raptor, and I must say, I'm rather jealous! I can't wait to try this thing out. HOWEVER, just because I like Yamaha, doesn't mean I like all Yamaha owners (which I'm sure is true across all the boards)... but despite this, I am going to continue to visit this message board... and keep posting as much as I have (which, if you'll look back, is almost never, aside from this thread).
Remember, we're all on these forums because we enjoy ATVing. So let's enjoy it, and at least TRY not to brand-bash...

Whew, okay, I'm done..... my fingers hurt, lol...