Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor pipes onthe dyno

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 06:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Ok Big Gun full system vs stock headpipes and HMF slip on.

HMF hands down................ guess what I'm buying.......

http://www.geocities.com/kiwi_craig/raptor_mods.htm

Kiwi

Old 06-18-2001, 09:32 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great info Craig!

Did you have a chance to compare a full HMF pipe or was it not available? Do you think it will perform even better than the slip on?

Also, what kind of dyno was this (is it the kind where you keep both wheels on the rollers?) and what kind of tires were used?

Side by side, is there a big difference in the sound/volume?

Thanks for any more of the finer details that you can give.

Old 06-18-2001, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

Who did the test? Was it HMF? Lets see CT and Graydon says a 17 hp gain w/ their pipe and proflow kit and K&N jet kit. Well I bought the Graydon after my Big Gun and my brother bought a DMC, all three full systems. Guess what, the BG beats them both. No dyno, just seat in the pants experience and numerous drag races. I don't believe ads for a minute. I sold my Graydon and ate a sh*t sandwich. My brother wishes he wasn't so quick and sold his BG before really testing the DMC. A slip on beat a full exhaust, on a 400ex maybe, but not a quad that has so much restrictive air flow and wants to breath fire. Nice website by the way!!! My brother is thinking of an HMF slip on. He has money to burn. We'll see.

Old 06-19-2001, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

SadGod you are saying you get +5 by just flipping the front wheels.

Old 06-19-2001, 03:54 AM
Pro Rider

Dyno runs were done by Mobile dyno on a customers quad with the complete big gun system allready on. Eric at mobiledyno had gotten the HMF in for me, the Raptor owner asked if i'd be interested in running it up on his quad, YOU BET, we all wanted to see the results. The HMF will not fit the Big Gun head pipes so it was only up on the the standard headers. I'd hate to think how much better the top end would be with the HMF front pipes.

The HMF torque curve is also WAY better, in a drag race my money would be on the HMF system.

Kiwi

Old 06-19-2001, 04:05 AM
Pro Rider

Dyno runs were carried out on a fully computerised DYNOJET quad dyno. Raptor was fitted with rear slicks to get the torque down onto the drums. I don't believe the CT and similar "advertised" gains either. HMF advertised dyno curves on their site seem totally believeable on the other hand and quite similair to what we measured. The airbox mods on the Raptor tested seemed beneficial.

http://www.hmfengineering.com/catalo...or/raptor.html

I chose the HMF system based on web based recommendations from several guys who ran BG's back to back with the HMF, with the HMF winning everytime. The dyno backs that up !

Kiwi