Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Crash Storys!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2001, 04:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey.. I guess the worst crash I've ever had was one night.. Sunday night, almost dark, I was play racing with a friend on a 300EX. I was going VERY fast.. actaully kicking his butt.. We went around a left corner, hit a straight away.. My left grip came off, I jerked the bars right, ran off the track, hit a berm.. Gets nasty here.. The bike went into the air, flipped completely on it's back.. while i'm still hanging on.. then I let go.. The Banshee comes down, buries the cross bar in my back, and pins my leg under the grab bar..The guy on the EX turned around, came back .. he was like.. man, are you alive? are you alive?? I thought.. d*mn, that would've been funny if it wasn't happening to me! I got up, spit up some sand.. went to the hospital the next day. Slipped growth plate, 3 cracked vertebrae, 15 strained muscles and 25 stitches.. it's all good!! The moral of the story is.. Don't be a dumby.. Ride safe, and to your ability. You will never get better if you get killed

Old 06-19-2001, 11:03 PM
Pro Rider

doing a jump that you up a 30yard hill climb and jump the top. on my banshee when i first got it. did it several times, but this time i hit 4th gear and i had to go the extra height for the video camera. get pretty lot of air and then it just nose dives to hell and i just kinda blacked out and just remember hitting the ground and sliding. i look at the tape and i flipped head over heals about 4 times, and in one of them my feet hit my helmet in back. was pretty funny. i didnt get hurt to bad but i busted my lip in one spot pretty damn bad. it still has a bump and darker spot there a year later.

well i guese that is one way you learn that a banshee is heavier in the front!

Old 06-20-2001, 03:37 AM
Pro Rider

One day when I was 13, I was ridingwith a friend on his 95'Timberwolf, and all the sudden the pin that holds the right front tire comes off, and it buckles underneath the 4-wheeler.It slings me off, and it holds onto him and rolls on him.So I hop up and run over there to him , and push the 4-wheeler off of him, and we were both pretty bruised up and cut up=)Also about 3 months ago I was riding a friends old 86 2504trx pegged in 4th, and hit a little bump that I allways hit wide open on my trailblazer.So knowing the suspension on them old 4trxs the damn thing starts shaking and bouncing about 3 foot off the ground, and Im holding on by my left hand trying to get it under control...but needless to say I cant doing about 45mph so I let go and do about 3 flips and slide about 15ft(you can actually see the place I slid on the ground [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ).It does 1 flip and lands on its side.No damage to it except broke the latic holding case for the light(it was dry rotted anyway).I had some scrathes and thats all.The worst thing I saw happen was to a frind not me.My friend and I had been ridding all day in some strip pits by out house, we're on his 3004trx and we go exploring on a hillside with 3-4ft deep gullies every so often.I get off so he can jump across them to find a place to be able to get back up.Well Im in front of him looking for gullies so I cna tell him where they are.He gets a head of me for a lil bit and he finds a gullie before I did...the grass is real tall here and he cant see it.Oh by the way this hillside is about a 50° hillside.So he hits this gully and it starts rolling he falls off, but he falls off the way its rolling...It rolls about 6 times and him on his back kicking at it all the wya down.I finally catch up with it and grab holt of it so I can stop it from rolling...didnt do a thing to the ol' Honda..but thats about all my stories....for now=)

Old 06-20-2001, 02:05 PM
Range Rover

Me and my friend were riding, climbing some hills, he was on a foreman 400 and i was on my 250ex, i was watching him climb a hill when he got to the top it went into false neutral and started rolling backward hits a tree the foreman flys up in the air about 10 feet he kicks it off of him in midair
he lands and slides about 15 feet and the foreman lands about 20 feet away from him. he only suffered scratches and bruises the foreman lost part of the speedometer.

Old 06-20-2001, 03:44 PM
Pro Rider

oh yeah forgot. when i had the utility honda 4trax 300 1996, i was riding with blasters. they would go up a dike and make a U. i did this and one time my super swamper vampires caught while spinning the 180 and it flipped up hill on 2 wheels then came back onto its 4wheels but the steepness of the hill and the force of it coming back on 4 wheels caused it to roll again, but this time much worse, downward. i jumped and to my horror i jumped so that it was coming for me. i started running and didnt look back. i made it to the bottom in safety and fell over in exhuastion. it rolled many times and at the bottom hit a bolder and stopped it.

all in all nothing happened to me but the honda was pretty bad. killed the handlebars, dented the metal gas tank in 2 spots pretty good, bent the back rack bad and the front one slightly, killed a wheel, broke some plastic.

after that happened i fixed it and sold it so that i wouldnt be driving a utility like a sport quad and hurting myself and the quad. i then bought my banshee.

Old 06-20-2001, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah...we all crash from time to time.

good crash...about 1 in the morning one summer night...on my own property...Out in the back woods with a bon fire and the wheelers. Heard my truck alarm going off...hopped on the wheeler and headed for the truck. Hit a kid on a mountain bike head on. Broke his frame in half...it looked like a pretzel. Ended up with a bent rim on the banshee and a broken finger. The other guy on the bike broke his leg. Sad situation...but he was trespassing. Said he leaned on my truck...the alarm only goes off if you lift the handle or reach inside. anyways....that was about 5 years ago now.
Second best...following a friend on his blaster. We were riding on a trail we did not know very well. Speed had to be low 30's or pretty close to that. I came around a turn..there he was parked across the trail...again smashed right into the side of him.Both of us went flying. I destroyed the front end of a 300ex. His nerfs saved his bike with the exception of a bent front rim. He got out with 3 broken ribs. I was lucky enough to have a fairly soft but shaken up landing. Luckily he stopped though...the trail was a dead end into a good sized gully. That would have been a mess.
My best crash...did not involve a quad. about 11pm one night...I headed out on my zx7r...took off from a stop light...woke up a day later in the hospital with a full upper body cast...I never saw it coming...and was only doing about 15-20mph. Some kids hung a clothsline across the road (just for the fun of it they said) I broke my neck that time. (this was back in 1991) Ended up finding out who they were...sued there parents and bought a house and new banshee. I healed and got the green light to still ride moto cross...someday, I'm sure I will be in pain...But for now, I still feel 18...even though that age was ten years ago. Thats why you see that I chime in on the posts about a 16 year old wanting the fastest sport bike out there. My opinion is that they should be banned for street use. I used to race in new hampshire in the 600cc class...It got expensive...the only place these bikes belong is on the track. Nobody needs a bike capable of 140-160+ mph for the street. I still ride a bike on the road...But it is a dual sport...less temptation for getting into trouble. Someday I'll get a cruiser..but not yet.
I want to say that none of these little accidents were caused from drinking/ drugs or even unsafe riding...they were things that just happened. I have not had a bad crash like that in about 4 years now. And hope not to anytime soon.
Also...I'm not sure how good a post is that talks about crashes to the extreme....The right people get a hold of these stories and we all get a bad rap...regardless of how it happened. People in general do not like atv's..Not unless they own one or have tried one. My mom, to this day, hates my hobbies. (dirt bikes/ quads. And my most recent ultralight project) And I moved out of the house about ten years ago now. (I'm 28 at the moment) I can't wait to see the look on her face when I actually fly over her house and land in the field. I've already warned her the days coming. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-21-2001, 09:05 AM
Pro Rider

For street bike crashes check out http://www.twistedgrip.com

Old 06-21-2001, 09:39 AM
Trailblazer

My worst crash, even though it was on two wheeler, happened 20 years ago, I had a 1980 420 Husquvarna that I raced enduros with, I had modified the 6 speeds so that 1st through 3rd was close ratio from their MX model for tight woods riding, and 4th through 6th was from the WR model for more speed. I was having a party at my parents house while they were on vacation, from what I remember we(the party) were on about the 5th or 6th keg. I decided to give a wheelie demo on my race bike. So, sporting only jean shorts and sandals, no shirt, no helmet, no brains, I set off doing some short 2nd and 3rd gear wheelies. Now when I was straight I was able to wheelie down the road for miles it I wanted. Well I thought I was really gonna impress all these friends of mine by doing a high speed 80 mph wheelie in 6th gear. I went down the road about 1/2 mile and started off, brought the front up, started going through the gears, excelerating all the while, got it into 6th, I was flying, I wanted to flash everyone the peace sign as I went by the house, this means taking one hand off the bars, just as I got the peace sign up, I went over backwards, I did a 80 mph gravel slide on my back, shorts filled with gravel, back was getting sanded down with gravel, bike went another 300 feet hit someones car, they took me to the emergency room to extract the gravel out of my skin. I did make it back to the party later, with some help of pain meds they had me on. Bike had no damage. Funny is my dad heard about it when he returned to work after their vacation. He wasnt too happy, more so about me having the beer bash at his house than anything.

Old 06-21-2001, 11:35 AM
Pro Rider

That picture is sick. I am never not going to wear my helmet again!