Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Crash Storys!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2001, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to hear if any one has any storys to tell about there carshes as for me nothing (Never crashed yet!)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2001, 04:20 AM
Range Rover

Coming over a hill in 4th gear without knowing that it was a cliff. Bailed; with cosmetic damage worth about 2Grand.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

j/t
01 Raptor ( In rehab.)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2001, 11:14 AM
Range Rover

Samething happened to me Maxima. Plus one time I jump I jump and just went full throttle and didn't know there was a tree right ahead of me and crashed into it in the air.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2001, 12:07 PM
Pro Rider

Going real fast. Brakes lock up slide ohhhh 50-60 feet( on concrete), go sideways ,lean off the back to not wreck the quad(2 week old Raptor) and regain control, fall off, Raptor--No Damage
Me he he 2 Broken Ribs and a whole lot of shaking.

Old 06-19-2001, 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

Hmmm...crash stories...I went over 10 years without ever "really" stuffing it, sure I had my share of "get offs" but not a real crash until last summer. I was racing a buddy through a twisty sand wash (like a dry river bed full of sand) on our normal Sunday ride. I've been through that wash a million times at speed with no problem. This time the sand had built up some water bars and I got out of shape and concentrated (for a split second) on the ground immediately in front of me instead of the walled corner approaching fast. I got too heavy on the front corner and high sided, flipping over the right corner of the quad. The quad followed me over and balled up against the rock wall. In the process of going over I straight legged the ground and the weight of the quad broke my hip (very top of the femur)clean through. I also separated my shoulder in the process. I was wearing full gear and that probably saved me from lots more damage.

Emergency surgery, 8 days in the hospital, 7 months on crutches, 9 months till I could ride again, 10 weeks out of work $$, Lots of other hassles. When it's cold out I still feel it and probably always will.

I'm finally back to riding 100% (over a year later) and recently rewarded myself with a new Raptor. Moral of the story - crashing can be "funny" till it really hits the fan. Don't ride it like ya stole it or all that other BS - Wear good gear, ride heads up, go responsibly fast but in your envelope - otherwise, it's really not worth the potential trouble.

Been there, done that !

PS - if anybody reading this has had hip replacement surgery send me a private message - I'm curious about it and I'm sure I'll need it someday....

Old 06-19-2001, 12:52 PM
Elite Pro Rider

I have one for ya...One Sunday evening me and my bro were racing through the woods and a deer blindsided me. The deer wound up on my lap, I was threw to the left. The Raptor then flopped over on it's side. This is where things get VERY interesting.....it's laying on it's side and the carbs blow off (just partially) and it hangs WIDE OPEN! What happens next? It's wide open in 3rd gear spinning around on it's side and it somehow gets back up on all 4 tires! It tears up the side of an almost straight up hill and endo's 3 times back down. Is it over now? Nope. Now it tears up a 200 foot straight (almost like a rider was piloting), rolls a few times and goes back up the hill on the right again. Then it rails around a tree, endo's 4 more times and stops as pretty-as-you-please in the middle of the trail.

The damage....all new plastic, tires were all blown and rims bent, handlebars, and 1 broken tailbone[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img].

I have since adjusted the carbs with a flexible screwdriver while the Raptor was running.....so the carbs should not blow off anymore + added a kill switch just in case.

After seeing what happenned I honestly can't believe the a-arms, frame, and rear axle were not destroyed. The alignment is perfect!

Another one? Oh yea! I had a go-cart as a boy and installed a CR 250 engine. Rigged a linkage up to shift, added a set of tractor tires and life was good. Pulling the front wheels in 5th was a breeze. I slid off of a dirt rode pinned in 5th....needless to say...the BIG crash destroyed my toy and messed me up pretty good too. Lotsa fun up 'till that point though.

Old 06-19-2001, 01:46 PM
Range Rover

The funny thing about my Raptor is when I rolled over it landed with the headlights directly in front of me. Felt like this machine just proved to me who's in charge!!! My Raptor by far....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

j/t
01 Raptor[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2001, 02:57 PM
Range Rover

That's funny Maxima.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 06-19-2001, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

This is the result when you crash with no helmet.

IF YOU HAVE A WEAK STOMACH OR DO NOT LIKE GROTESQUE PICTURES OR WILL BE OFFENDED BY ANY TYPE OF GROSS CONTENT DO NOT GO TO THIS SITE. I AM NOT HELD RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING!!!! PLEASE BE AWARE.

f'd_up_face

Old 06-19-2001, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer

thats f**kin sick man

Quick Reply: Crash Storys!!