Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grabbing neurtal instead of 2nd!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2001, 09:48 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was riding this weekend and hit neutral many time when shifting from 1st to 2nd. It always seams to happen when I'm hauling a** or trying to get a fast start. If I don't rev 1st gear very high it always shifts to 2nd but when I'm getting on it I seam to find neutral alot. It feels like it shifted into 2nd but when I release the clutch and gas it NOTHING but REVVVVVVV. Anyone have any Ideal what could cause this? The clutch is adjusted properly. Thanks for any info.

Old 06-25-2001, 09:58 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Try changing your oil.

Old 06-25-2001, 11:32 AM
Trailblazer

dude, i'm not trying to make ya paranoid, but...

the symptoms you are talking about have been ASSOCIATED w/ the 2nd gear fiasco. some guyz ( i won't use the term "many guyz" ) have experienced this thing as a precursor to eventially blowing 2nd gear. hey, wish it wasn't true, but it's in the threads. This being said, it may simply be isolate and coincidental events OR similarities in RIDING styles and tranny usage patterns that link the two together. who knows? however, ya may want to go REAL easy w/ reverse and keep an eye on second gear. if you are in 2nd and strat to feel what people describe as "it seems like the chain is slipping", then BEWARE. zebratrailer in AZ had this and had it pinned when it suddenly locked up and shot him over the bars like a cannon ball!

be cautious and be warned. good luck.

Old 06-25-2001, 12:06 PM
Pro Rider

Looks like your riding a warrior by your sig, not a rpator. There isn't a problem in the warrior tranny, never has been, those things are rock solid. The problem trublue speaks of is ONLY the raptor.

OK, so now to your problem: Change your oil, good place to start. Are you using the clutch to shift gears? (You don't have to with a warrior after it's rolling, not that I suggest it) Are you slamming up on the shift lever with a good bit of force? My banshee use to miss gears unless I snapped it pretty hard a full bore acceleration. You're not slipping the clutch out early are you? So many possibilities.. Either that or if it's new it just might not be broke in all the way yet.. give it a little time.

Brad

Old 06-25-2001, 03:08 PM
Range Rover

I changed the oil before riding this weekend, I'm running Yamalube 20w40 (I live in Texas HOT!). The quad will go into every other gear very easy (except neutral when you stop and your looking for it HA HA HA). The quad is broke in but I did buy it used but it was in very good shape. I don't feel like I'm slamming it in 2nd but when it grabs neutral I usually do pull up hard to get it in gear. No I don't believe I'm slipping the clutch out early but I will take notice of the things listed above the next time we go riding. (I'm a maintenance nut, I don't wait for the oil to get black to change it.)

Old 06-25-2001, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

Shift HARD all the way up when shifting from first to second, I use to hit neutral sometimes, now I just shift it hard and feel/hear it click into gear. Banshees, warriors, and blasters all seem to have notchy shifting.. At least every one I've ever ridden. Its even better when you pull to a stop in 6th and have to jump around to get it to downshift.. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2001, 12:49 AM
Trailblazer

dude,
don't i feel like a bonehead!!! ya, guess i should read the signature. it's just that w/ all this tranny hype around the raptor, i sorta jumped to....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 06-26-2001, 05:17 AM
Trailblazer

Just a typical Yamaha tranny. NOT RIPPING ON ANYONE. My Blasters did that under hard accel and riding a Raptor it feels notchy too. Never ridden a Warrior, but to make an assumption I would say it is typical.

Old 06-26-2001, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

Trublu,
That's the symptoms I've had but I thought I needed heavy duty clutch plates and springs. It only happens in second, I shift from first then punch it and it takes a "little" while to catch and go it seems like the clutch is slipping or wheels are spinning but there not. What should I do? I heard that it was all because a spring is properly push the gear in.

Old 06-26-2001, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

My Warrior did the very same thing, and usuall at the most inopportune times! Like being 3/4 of the way up a VERY steep wall with no way to back down, or running the bowls in the dunes, etc. It always did it to me with a load on it - I don't know if that's true for you or not. (I always hit neutral when downshifting) I had a brand new one, maybe it wasn't broke in - maybe my chain was loose....I don't know. But what a pain! Otherwise I liked my Warrior alot.

Quick Reply: Grabbing neurtal instead of 2nd!!!