Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Phoenix area, east valley Raptor owners, please read! A plea for help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2001, 06:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Raptech. Thanks for all your help. Yes, the last time I took the carbs apart, I removed the needle and seat and blew out the passages. I also thought that it may be clogged. No problems found. See why I'm so frustrated? This is the damndest problem! Are you sure you'd be OK with temporarilly sending me your CDI to try out? I would be grateful to say the least. I give you my word that it would be taken well care of and sent immediately back to you ASAP. Let me know for sure. I'll be glad to pay all your shipping costs and slip you a $20 on the side for the kindness. What is your e-mail address? Let me know. Thanks.

Old 07-06-2001, 01:29 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the kind words, RedReconRider and Quad1man. It's nice to see some big-hearted people are out there. Maybe soon with someone's help I can test out my theory and lay this "bug" to rest. I am anxious to post the results, so that if any of the rest of you Raptor owners run into this problem, you'll know what to do instead of wasting lots of time and money like I did. That's how we all learn! (Beats taking it to the dealer and getting screwed, too!)

Old 07-09-2001, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Raptech! Are you still willing to make good on your offer to loan me your CDI? I need to put this problem to rest. Please be assured that I will be trustworthy of your generousity. Please let me know ASAP. Awaiting your reply, one way or another. Thanks. P.S. I'd be glad to e-mail you, but I don't know your address.

Old 07-15-2001, 02:02 AM
Pro Rider

WHY is this such a difficult request?

Old 07-15-2001, 11:15 AM
Pro Rider

Hey, i might be buying a Raptor in the next couple of days. If I get it I'll schedule a day to drive down to Gilbert.

Old 07-16-2001, 07:10 AM
Range Rover

Scottd if you want to come to vegas id be willing to give up the cdi for your test? I cant believe nobody in your area is willing. Come on guys help a brother out!! Jay

Old 07-16-2001, 01:06 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Scottd,
Sorry nobody is helpin you out. I just had one thought. Have you tried disconnecting the Clutch lever starter lockout switch and Parking brake switch. These maybe shorting out due to vibration at higher rpm.

Old 07-17-2001, 12:17 AM
Range Rover

Scott, I've been waiting to hear from you. I sent you a preivate message to get your address but no reply. Maybe I sent it to the wrong address. Anyway, I've got my CDI unit on hand, just let me know your home address (privately if prefered) and I'll send it ASAP.

Old 07-17-2001, 02:52 AM
Pro Rider

Raptech! I've been wanting to contact you, but I don't know your e-mail address! I never got that private message you said you sent me, sorry. Just send me an e-mail at dunaticdana@cs.com. I appreciate everyone's sudden willingness to help, and there are a couple of local guys around here that have offered. I'll check that out first and let you know. But please e-mail me so I know how to contact you in the future. With everyone's assistance, I'll get this problem solved and post the cause of it on the forum, so you all know how to deal with it if it happens to you. That's the way we all learn, and avoid paying the dealer's high prices. Oh, and YamaGod, thanks for the added tip...I thought about those switches, but haven't tried disconnecting them yet. Do I just simply disconnect them from the lever perch and nothing else? Thanks, everyone, and keep those tips coming in! Hopefully, I'll be a HAPPY Raptor owner again here real soon!

Old 07-19-2001, 10:52 PM
Range Rover

Scott, do you have a modified intake system like airbox top, filter, etc? A friend of mine had a same symptom after modifying the inlet system because the stock CV carbs are tuned to the airbox pressure to control the slide diaphrams and spring for proper opening based on throttle opening. If the airbox pressure is interrupted, the set calibration will be way off.

If it has been modified, try setting it back to see if you can isolate the cause. As far as CDI box, I'm still willing to help but first, let's not chase our tails.

Quick Reply: Phoenix area, east valley Raptor owners, please read! A plea for help!