Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Think about it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What we're saying is Yamaha had to make a 660 to compete with a 400. Thats BS. They should just have had to release a 400 that was good, but it would have sucked like the warrior does.

<< This only applies to those such as samhonda and bermbanger who refuse to acknowledge any other brand than what they own. >>

Come on dude think about it......you yammie guys can't get it thru your heads. Who wants to pay $6000 + for a craptor that may have the speed, but hey no relaibility whatsoever...trannies....axles....carbs...a arms..see what I'm saying?? When Honda comes out with the newest quad that out does The raptor and has the reliability all you little babies will be buying it cuz you can't stand to get beat by a Honda. Honda knows what they are doing. Think..250r..think new 450 dirtbike?? Think, it won't be long till Tim Farr is riding the new Honda 450 in his frame instead of the YZ. Dude I'm not the type that won't ride anything but a Honda, I've owned Suzuki's too. The last time I went to the track...2 400ex's were winning.....one flipped...other got passed on last lap by a raptor. Both bikes were stok except the raptor had a pipe. The raptor has 260cc advantage which is more than half the size of the 400ex's engine, and the 400ex is still an awesome contender. Given equal engine sizes and designs the 400ex wins.

Old 06-28-2001, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

OK now lets think for a second a 400 VS 660 well i should hope to god that a 660 would beat a 400 thats 260 more cc! the 400ex cant go as fast or accelerate but they handle AWESOME ! all th power in the world is no good if you cant handle it . if you like tipping over then ya the raptor is your machine . but if you like good handling , not loosing second gear , and arent to lazy to turn it around then hell ya 400Ex also the raptor cost a hell of alot more and to me i dont think $2000 roughly is worth the little big more speed the raptor will give you . and also Maxima
The only way that 400 can wven stay with a raptor is on the track.
actualy stock for stock the 400ex will completely kill the raptor ! sorry to by the one to tell you but the raptor is 2nd best at one thing , DRAG racing .

Old 06-28-2001, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

Ok i usually dont like to get into the bashing crap but this one has alot of people who dont know what they are talking about. The raptors handling is as good as the 400ex with just the addition of a set a wheelspacers. The raptor is a 660 and does only put out about 10 more hp than the 400ex but to those of you who know a big single cylinder engine doesnt put out alot more HP. Mostly just big gains in the torque department. Just like hondas xr600 only has 3 more HP than the XR400 but twice the torque. its the way it works. If the raptor was a twin it would be suicide. were talking 60+ hp stock! Another example is the LT500 and the banshee. The banshee has more stock HP and is only a 350. But the lt500 is a torque monster. In the woods and track they are a close match as long as there isnt any long straights because you cant use all the power the raptor has in the woods or track. This is the same as the 440ex and a stock 400ex. The 400ex is as fast(WITH SAME SUSPENSION AND WIDTH) as the 440ex cause the 440 cant use all the power it has. If honda puts the 650 motor in there quad it will be just like the raptor. What will you honda guys think when you 400ex's will keep up with the new 650ex on the track and in the woods??? And to all you honda guys who will still try to argue with me......... IGNORANCE IS BLISS!!!!

Old 06-28-2001, 12:34 AM
Trailblazer

CC'S ALWAYS WINS- BEEN A PROVEN FACT FOR YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THE BIKE DIDNT LOSE YOU DID!!!!!!

660 RAPTOR WILL BE THE WINNER IN A FLAT DRAG!!

I DONT EVEN LIKE THE RAPTOR ESPECIALLY. BUT HANDS DOWN THE CC'S WILL ALWAYS COME OUT ON TOP. THE RIDER IS 99.9% THE REASON THE RAPTOR LOST.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-28-2001, 01:19 AM
Trailblazer

A raptor lost a drag to a 400ex? Was the raptor rider on crack? I ride with a bunch of guys that have 400ex's. They are pretty good bikes, but they're weak plain and simple.

Old 06-28-2001, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

<< they're weak plain and simple >>

Yeah your right. My 400ex is so weak I am worrying all the time when i am riding that my a-arms are going to brake, carbs will pop off, or my transmission will blow, or bend my axle. I wish i could have spent 1000 dollars more for 6 more horsepower and a reverse gear that goes 30 mph.

If yamaha made a 426 it would kill the banshee and there sales would fall.

Old 06-28-2001, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

I say BRING IT ON! We could be looking at all these quads in a couple of years. A Racer-Raptor with a YZ426 just for under 500cc racing,,, and somebody that wants a quad with a little ...Edge..
How about a 2-wheel drive 660 desert racer Grizzly?
How about a 450 EX AND a 650 EX? How about a Dual-sport 650 Quad with reverse and a 6-speed? Cannondale says it's coming out with 4 new versions of their quad, how about a desert racer with I.R.S.?
The Utilities have all come out with hot new models, Was it the Rubicon that woke them up? The Raptor certainly has gotten a lot of attention, and revitalized the sport quad market, something the 400 EX did, but it's done.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img] at least stick the 450 motor in it. That would be easy, and way hot.

Old 06-28-2001, 09:47 AM
Pro Rider

<< If honda puts the 650 motor in there quad it will be just like the raptor >>

Thats not the only choice they have.....think...new 450 dirbike.

<< The raptors handling is as good as the 400ex with just the addition of a set a wheelspacers >>

Yeah go out pay $6200 + and then have to buy wheelspacers.

<< The banshee has more stock HP and is only a 350 >>

Its a twin cylinder.

<< What will you honda guys think when you 400ex's will keep up with the new 650ex on the track and in the woods??? >>

We won't think a thing about it.......I can take my 300 and keep up with a 400 IN THE WOODS. I can't beat it but I can't come close to it anywhere else tho.

Old 06-28-2001, 10:26 AM
Pro Rider

Another thing you 400ex guys are failing to realize is the raptor is seriously DETUNED for litigation reasons. Yamaha had to put a restirctor plate in the airbox to get the ponies down enought to release this thing to the masses. You know, restictor plates, like they use at daytona in nascar to SLOW things down.

Honda, it runs pretty much full tilt with it's 400cc engine.

Now, remove the restrictor plate, jet the carbs correctly, and put a real pipe on this and you're talking 50+ horse, from a stock 38. Total Cost, under $600 dollars. No taking apart the engine, no head work, no big bore, just a pipe and a razor blade to cut out the restictor plate, install time less than 1 hour.

How much does it cost to get a honda 400ex to over 50 horse power?

And anyone who can't honestly admit that horsepower veruses weight is what really matters when it comes to acceleration, needs not even reply, cause you're just flat wrong.

Now the 400ex handles better, I'll give ya that, the honda is a nice bike, but lets not start comparing it to the 1987 warrior, I mean the 400ex was first realeasd in what, 98? wow, 11 years after the warrior.

The warrior for its day was a great quad. 350ccs of 4 stroke power that pretty much last forever, reverse, and electric start. Way ahead of it's time for 1987, but in 2001 it's an old design, but still a very popular vehicle, will your 400ex still be produced in 2012? Will it be consider an old design that doesn't keep up in 2012?

I'm sure in time honda will release a bigger cc thumper at some point. (instead of leaving us all laughing like last year when HA HA HA honda put out a 250cc!). I'm sure the new thumper will be a nice quad, and yes it might even be better than a raptor, then you can come on back and we'll have a real talk about quads.

Now can we please stop this BS whining and go ride and have fun?

Old 06-28-2001, 12:28 PM
Pro Rider

Seriously detuned? Yeah I bet you gain 10mph when you take that restrictor plate out in the airbox. Whatever......