Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Tranny Theory

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2001, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I have been watching a lot of this going on and I heard that it is not a serial thing, and I heard they didn't up grade the gears secretly, it is problems with the riders, etc.....

How about this twist............

Can anyone that had their tranny fixed say that they broke it for the second time? I have so far not seen this posted. If this holds true then there could have been a bad batch and they may correspond to serial numbers, especially lower numbers but also not every lower serial number machine may have gotten a bad gear.

Just a theory..........

Old 06-27-2001, 11:10 PM
Trailblazer

Hi 01Raptor660R,

I've seen several posts from people claiming that they have had the transmission fail more than once. Do a little searching.

Old 06-28-2001, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider

since my quad is out of waranty ive been holding off on tearing the trans down.i dont want to have to do it a second time.ct racing said they talked to someone that repaired his trans three times,ct repaired the trans in two of their raptors twice.my buddie just took his in(under warranty)our dealer(the owner of the shop is the head mechanic wth a macheinist background) tore it down and told me he could not beleive yamaha built something like that,saterday im going to go get a look for myself.he said the way it is designed and machined that 2nd would sometimes engage good and sometimes wouldnt.he doesnt think theres anything wrong with the design of the gears themself and said with about 4 hours worth of machine work he can cure the problem.ct said they beleive also that the gears are not fully engaging and said that they are not shimmed properly.this is just more proof that yamaha should recall all 01 raptors before one causes someone to be hurt

Old 06-29-2001, 10:58 AM
Trailblazer

I agree with you on the fact that someone may get hurt. I wonder if there is some sort of watch dog group we can contact that can get this baall rolling with the dealer. A consumer report or a national saftey group or something like that, that can look into this.

Old 06-29-2001, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

i was thinking the same thing.then again look at how many people had to die before they forced ford and firestone to recall tires.i still think a hundred or so raptor owners need to get together and call yamaha customer service all on the same day and make their ears bleed!i have the number.i called,stated my case and the info i had and the lady said "yamaha does not beleive there is a wide spred transmission problem"and thats about all she would say.you could tell she herd my complaint many time before.