Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2001, 10:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After I have been riding, i shut down my engine. When i go to re-start, i have it in 1st. and i pull the clutch in, when it starts, it jumps forward a bit. What causes this? i woulden't figure a worn clutch would do this? Also, when it's sitting in the garage, i put it in 1st, and pull in the clutch and try to move it, and it won't ..very hard to move. I have my clutch adjusted with correct freeplay, do i need new clutch plates? if yes, what kind? please help man

Old 07-03-2001, 12:17 PM
Pro Rider

I would not be concerned about this. My new 400ex does the same thing and every motorcycle I have ever owned did it to. I think whats happening is that the clutches in these are wet disk type. Which meens the engine oil lubricats them. After you leave it set for a while the oil runs off of the cluth plates and they grab until you restart the engine.

Old 07-04-2001, 12:58 PM
Range Rover

Have you had the clutch rebuilt before? Reason I ask, the first clutch plate (most inner) has a spring washer inside to release the pack when the lever is pulled to prevent what you're describing.

If the clutch was rebuilt prior, the spring may have been left out. The other thing that can cause this is broke clutch plate. If one of the plate cracks, it can bind when lever is pulled causing the clutch to drag.

If you're not a mechanic, you should let the dealer or good mechanic do the job (inspecting/rebuilding clutch) because it can get tricky.

Old 07-05-2001, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

no, this was the first time i pulled it apart. Also, i just took it apart, and would like to know if i need a new clutch basket because it is grooved a little. also, how do i put my clutch plate back in?

Old 07-06-2001, 12:32 AM
Range Rover

Reverse disassembly procedure!

U R funny.

At least, get a service manual. There's so much to screw up, if u don't have confidence, take it to a dealer or someone who know how.

Basket is fine with little gooves. If steel plates are blue-black (burnt), replace all of the plates. 2 friction plates are different from the rest. They have bigger inside diameter. First, this fiction plate goes on with spring washer inside its circumference. Then alternate steel - friction, so on. The last friction plate is the one with larger ID. The pressure plate fingers fits inside of it.

Good luck.