Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Raptor Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2001, 11:39 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok... last year when the raptor was bein advertised, i reserved one like 3 months in advance, told the dealer i wanted black and white color the salesman/owner said i was number three on the list of reservations... after waiting a month and a half after the expected eta i get a blue one. just so you know, this is after they had sold about FIVE.. the owners son tells me that they had canceled the black and white colors and woudlnt be getting any. so this is fine, i didnt mind a whole lot, i mean they were canceled, nothing they can do. a week later, i come in to pick up some paperwork and what is on the show room floor, well its a black and white raptor! and guess whos it is... the owners son's! now this guy is a real "rear end opening" he says the dealership traided a 22k dollar harley for this 6k raptor... i just let it go, im happy to have my raptor...

little did i know this is just the start of my problems.... since that incident, i have had,

1. fouled out spark plugs (understandable, it happens)
2. stuck floats
3. some slide in the carb was bound up
4. mud in the carb <dont ask me how, i run an unmodified air box and filter>
5. fubared battery
6. shifting problems
7. clutch is now slipping

who else thinks this sux??
can you buy an extended warranty if your warranty is already expiered?
anyone have a suggestion if i were to sell this on what to get? i really liked the power this had, i dont really want a 2 stroke, but i would if it came down to it.. would like something that has plenty of aftermarket parts out for it for later on, but if its good enuf to not need them, well, it dont need them

thanks for the input

Old 07-08-2001, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider

I really don't think the color has near as much to do with it as the name on the side of the machine[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Fouled out plugs shouldn't happen on a four stroke. I would be more pissed with Yamaha than the dealer. I think you have to purchase the extended warranty before the original expires.

Old 07-08-2001, 01:06 AM
Weekend Warrior

i know color doesnt effect the performance, but for the dealer to straight out lie to me... that irritates me...

btw, i forgot to mention, ive only got like 30 to 40 hours on my quad...

Old 07-08-2001, 01:29 AM
Trailblazer

I didn't have much luck finding an extended warranty after the factory warranty ran out. I was led to believe Yamaha was similar to HONDA reliability. From my experience so far it isn't even close with all the problems that are showing up from the people I talk with. I haven't had any sign of trans. problems yet but the right carb was sticking causing it to stick with the thottle open.

I often consider trading my Raptor in for a 400EX. I just wish the 400 had reverse. I am trying to hold off until Honda comes out w/ something new to compete w/ the Raptor/DS650.

Goodluck with your RAPTOR. Any good riding spots out your way? I usually ride at Silver Lake Sand Dunes & Baldwin, MI with an occasional trip to the Badlands in Attica, IN

Old 07-08-2001, 09:36 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah I was just busting your chops a little there, I would be pissed at the dealer too. There is no excuse for crap like that.

Old 07-08-2001, 03:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

there are no places around here close to ride, i just went to the badlands yesterday (still recovering), just wish they didnt put all those whoops everywhere...me and some friends are thinkin bout takin a weekend to go to silver lake. but there are no "legal" places to ride around here less you get some farmers permission, which you never can..

anyone know how i go about getting a service manual so i can replace this clutch and/or whatever else might help this so that i dont have to replace it after another 40 hours

also, anyone have a reccomendation for a clutch, and ive heard that a different basket will better lube the clutch plates and make them last longer

Please help, as my name states, this is my first 4 wheeler and ive never worked on one before. any advice would be appreciated

Old 07-14-2001, 04:57 AM
Range Rover

If I was you and they canceld the order for black and white Raptors I would have gon somwere else. Like my parents always say dont seddel for what they got settel for what you want!!!