Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

RAPTOR OIL TANK

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2001, 02:01 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the Pingry tank! I just got one yesterday and installed it last night. It is very nice. The one I got is for the 400EX but the one for the Raptor looks even nicer. Installation was fairly easy, the mounting holes and hose connections all line up perfectly. I only had one concern- the leading edge of the drain plug threads were rolled over onto the adjacent thread. I thought I would cross thread it if I put the drain plug bolt in. I called Pingry's to find out what the thread size was so I could get a tap and clean up the threads. I talked with Bill, who is very nice, and he gave me the info and quickly offered to send me a new one. I didn't want to wait over the weekend, so I didn't ask for a new one. Well, it turned out that I didn't even need to clean the threads up. The drain plug went right in there with no cross threading. It was expensive, but compared to what the 400EX tank costs ($180) it looks like a better deal. It has so much better constuction. You would strip all the threads out before you even came close to breaking the thick welds. When you see how much work must go into these tanks, you might even wonder how they can sell them for $275 and still make money.

Old 07-13-2001, 02:10 PM
Pro Rider

So how much additional oil (over stock) does the Pingry hold?

Any idea how much or how little it adds additional cooling by holding more oil and having the cooling holes that go thru the tank?

I'm considering one since getting my 416 and other motor mods. All that much more performance over stock has got to generate a lot more damaging heat...

Old 07-13-2001, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

Well lets see here, I have a product flyer from Pingry's that list their products and makes some claims regarding capacity and temperatures. They say "The PPD large-capacity oil tank for the Honda 400EX and Yamaha Raptor increases oil cooling capacity by a full quart, lowering operating temperature by 12 degrees."