Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Scary Wood Riding Stories.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 04:09 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FMF...Good to hear that you were not held responsible...you should'nt be. I'm not saying it's correct, but sometimes the landowner winds up paying for other peoples ignorance.
On the other hand, if the landowner is clearly trying to potentially hurt someone, then thats a different story.

Old 07-10-2001, 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

I can understand that. And yes..I've seen situations (even here in NY) were the landowner gets the bum rap for someone elses ignorance.
Man I never had these problems growing up. When I was 13 I had a quad....we rode up and down the road all day long. Nobody seemed to care all that much. Now..all you have to do is start the engine and the police are on your doorstep.
Now it's a different story....being that I do not have kids yet....I planned ahead and bought a house with enough land for me to tool around on. (about 20 acres) but I have a fairly good trail system that I am forced to keep closed to the outside world because people will not respect it. I wish I could just let people use the land when they want. I tried that route...thats when the parties started and people started getting careless. If you give them an inch...they take a mile.
It's hard when the rest of my neighbors see trails....and I can't let them use them. I have people knock on my door with a quad in the truck asking if they can ride on the property...sometimes I say yes. Sometimes no. I even looked into having a waiver drawn up. My lawyer told me they do not hold up in court.
I was probably lucky with the tree house thing...being that they were trespassing and they built a structure on my land. If somebody gets hurt on a quad....I'll probably take the heat. So for now...the trails do not connect for outside access. Everyone has to enter my property through my back yard. Unless they plan on bushwacking through thistles...(which I did not put there ) But my neighbor also has quads and land. If we connect the trails....I feel that's when the trouble will start. We have thought about this hard. He has much more than 20 acres. (more like 200)
Oh well....someday people will learn to respect. It comes with time..like anything else

Old 07-10-2001, 07:53 PM
Trailblazer

I am not talking about property owners puting fences up.I am talking about people who go out on public riding areas and string a single strand of wire across a atv trail about head height so that when someone comes flying down the trail it will either hurt them very seriosly or take there heads off.I don't have a problem if a property owner puts fencing up on there property.It is a sickening thing to even think about.Where i live here i have heard of a guy who got his head taken off bye such a thing.

Old 07-10-2001, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

i dont agree with the wire strung up across trails but think about it.
the coal company says yes to letting people ride there. all of a sudden someone gets hurt. knowing the coal company makes some bucks plus has good insurance the law suits fly just to make a buck because people are to lazy to goto work. and everyone knows big companys settle out of court usually.

Old 07-10-2001, 09:42 PM
Trailblazer

Up the road from my house a guy put barb wire and boards with nails along the trail and covered them up for you couldn't see them. After a while some people turned him in and he got in trouble. And you have to people a really cruel person to string wire and other dangerous stuff across paths.

Old 07-10-2001, 10:55 PM
Range Rover

Could you get in trouble if the people warn you? I saw a place where they warned you. it said "tire flatening devices in use".

Old 07-11-2001, 01:07 AM
Trailblazer

People now a days think they can sue over everything. I just want to go out and beat some sense into them. My parents just got sued by this womans husband cause one of our drivers hit her car and it took away the enjoyment of life. HOw fudging stupid........ I think they should do something different after the first person got hurt, especially the second. HOw many people do they want to kill? anyways some people bite the fat one.

Old 07-11-2001, 01:34 AM
Trailblazer

Do you know who we have to thank for all this bullsh$%, F&*KING GREEDY LAWYERS. It is such crap that if someone is riding on your property and gets hurt you pay for their stupidity. But I guess that is the American way now always someone elses fault never yours.

Old 07-11-2001, 03:23 AM
Pro Rider

Now wait a minute, last summer I broke my shoulder riding my dirtbike in this field. I live in town so if im looking for somewhere to burn a half hour, i go to this field. It is an area that if we ever get alot of rain at one time, all of it goes there, so in the summer, it is relatively dry. Well, I was just ramping on this little hill and when I landed, my front wheel actually hit a nice sized rock and flipped me over the handle bars, and i broke my left shoulder.

So now that you got the story, I could have sued the owner of that field because of MY negligents in riding MY dirtbike on a field that was not meant for anything but to hold water? Thats crazy.

That is just like that woman that sued mcdonalds because her coffee was hot. How retarded.

Old 07-12-2001, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

<< People now a days think they can sue over everything. I just want to go out and beat some sense into them. My parents just got sued by this womans husband cause one of our drivers hit her car and it took away the enjoyment of life. HOw fudging stupid........ I think they should do something different after the first person got hurt, especially the second. HOw many people do they want to kill? anyways some people bite the fat one. >>

atv69rider

I was wondering if you could get me the name of the attorney the people used to sue your parents. My jobs has taken away the &quot;enjoyment of living&quot; and I think I might have a good case for him. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] Accually I am sorry to hear that. It is a shame that people would do such a thing. I really hope these people do not sleep easy at night knowing that they have just stolen for your family. People like that are what make our insurance rates go up because people want something for free. Now if your driver was drunk and she ended up paralized I might understand. But if she is taking care of things the same way she did before the accident than there should be no money involved.

Quick Reply: Scary Wood Riding Stories.