Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Scary Wood Riding Stories.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2001, 01:26 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard of some realy freaky stories about guys that ride in woods that come across wire strung between two trees or something like that and they get hurt or killed.Have you guys heard of any instances like this.If i ever caught somebody stringing wire across atv trails i would beat the living s#*t out of them and then take them to the police or something like that.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 07-10-2001, 01:40 AM
Pro Rider

Well I personaly have came across 4 foot deep trenches dug right in my trails. But there is a coal company near me where everyone rides. Well they but up big wires and gates to keep peaple out. Well when some unknowing person goes flying out the road he has a rude awakening. There have been 4 accidents here in the last 2 years. 1 person dies and the other 3 had to be life flighted. Yet the coal company still srtings big wires across trails and roads to keep us out when we arent even harming anything. Maybe they think that they are actually going to keep atvers out but it is never going to happpen. These trails have been here for years and peaple will always ride them. Damn stupid coal companies why cant they just be nice and let us rie there instead of trying to kill us.

Old 07-10-2001, 02:04 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds to me like the coal companies should be taken to court. If someone puts up wires like that it is a criminal act. They intend to harm someone. Where I come from that sounds illegal even it it is your own private property.

Old 07-10-2001, 02:08 AM
Range Rover

yea they do put those up but theyre ussually on big orange poles or something and u can always see them. but i think hes talkin about thin wire like barbed wire or the such. somethin that will cut limbs off. if i ever came across someone settin up a wire like that id beat em till they couldnt see like yamaracer5 said. theres no sense in that. they KNOW that has potential to kill someone. its as bad as murder. but ive never once came across a wire like that.

Old 07-10-2001, 02:25 AM
Pro Rider

It's called malicious intent. "Til someone gets hurt!!!

Old 07-10-2001, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

Whether it is right or wrong in our eyes.

<< Sounds to me like the coal companies should be taken to court. If someone puts up wires like that it is a criminal act. They intend to harm someone. Where I come from that sounds illegal even it it is your own private property. >>

If it is there property...they can hang whatever kind of fence they want. Posted signs do not work. Or do they hold up in court. You will not get away with saying you did not see a sign. You are trespassing, regardless of the situation.
Think of it in a different way...should the land owner have to spend all kinds of their hard earned money putting big stockade fences up...just to keep you out?
Most of the time, that is why they resort to cheaper fence methods.
If they are putting the fences up in a malicious manner....then what was done to tick them off in the first place? Over my years of riding, I have seen all the situations that are described. We may not agree....But just because we are on a quad, It does not give us a free pass to tear up someone elses land. Regardless if it is a strip mine or not. It's funny...I own a bunch of quads. And live in the country with fields all over the place. But the young guys up the road insist on riding through my back field. Some of it gets wet...and it looks like crap. All rutted up and muddy. It may not seem to be a big deal to them. But my dog goes out back there and rolls in the mud. It's no fun giving a dog a bath when your trying to leave for work. Theres other things, like beer bottles and fire pits all over the place.
When confronted, what do the guys do? The cool thing of course. Give me the finger and run away. Too cool for me.
anyway....thats my story.

Old 07-10-2001, 12:16 PM
Trailblazer

I grew up on a dairy farm with 300 acres.Lots of area to ride,right?Well it is hard to get in some peoples head that just becuse you let them ride with you once and awhile that they don't have open access to your land.They bring thier friends who didn't understand the part about riding of the edge of crops and not through the middle of the field.Also you ask them not to climb hills when they are wet(most farms are in soil conservation plans nowadays)but when your not there what do they do?Then they get pissed because you tell them that they are not allowed there anymore.Finally these people are only looking out for themselves when they put up fences because they can be sued if you ride on thier land and hurt yourself.Besides why would'nt you check the trail before flying out it unless you knew you weren't supposed to be there?

Old 07-10-2001, 01:03 PM
Pro Rider

First of all, I can't say that I agree w/ you riding on property that you don't have permission to ride on, but that's your business not mine.
Secondly the chances of these guys getting in trouble for hanging steel cables across trails is slim to none... and as long as he is making them fairly visible, I personally can't blame the guy either.
Around here I have heard stories of people finding 50+ pound test fishing line across trails. That would flat out decapitate someone and those guys could get hammered hard, but someone like you spoke of could possibly be charged w/ involuntary manslaughter (if the person died... and chances are those charges wouldn't stick) or more likely, gross negligence. That just says that he blocked the trail know that someone could get hurt, without caring a whole lot if the did or not.

Old 07-10-2001, 03:32 PM
Elite Pro Rider

If the company has a wire across the road that was previously passable, they should be held responsible for their actions when people are hurt/killed.
You can hang no tresspassing signs all over your property...what happens when someone walks across, trips, and breaks a leg? You are still responsible. You are responsible for what happens on your property.

Old 07-10-2001, 03:45 PM
Pro Rider

GaryC:

I will not argue..and the statues may be different from state to state.... I just went through a case very similar here in NY....I was not held liable. (being the property owner) The people were trespassing. If they tresspass and get hurt...it's on them. Trust me. This was not quad related either. I did not hang a fence or the like.
Some kids built a tree house on the backside of my property...one fell out and broke an ankle. I did not push him. But his parents were at my front door for sure.
Guess who won. And yes it did come down to court.
about the only thing that I did not win...was the fact that I had to spend half a Saturday tearing the little fort down. That was on me.

Quick Reply: Scary Wood Riding Stories.