Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

VIDEO sport400 polaris spankin banshee

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2001, 05:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok man you can all calm down and chill. seems to me like your bragging, and i could careless about a polaris, even if it beat a banshee raptor whatever else by 100yards, cause in my mind they still suckass, and dont say "oh because you own a banshee and i can beat you and your mad that a polaris passed you out". no im not at all, i just dont care for polaris, as many other people feel. just my opinion, take it as you wish, im not trying to start anything here im just giving my opinion which i am allowed to do. have fun.

Old 07-12-2001, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer

Would you beat me at the track if your bike was stock? Like mine?

Old 07-12-2001, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

MrCO1400EX,

Where I come from, its "Run what you Brung"!.......as alot of other people will agree. Dont talk "SMACK" if your gonna make excuses. You either do or you dont; you will or you wont? Although Rob may have gotten a bit carried away w/ his post, You cant dissagree that when you win and you're not supposed to, it gives you a pride booster. Building a fast Polaris is a tough job and I know by what he has done that it will smoke.......I have a very similar setup.

H300F,

Although our opinions differ, You have my respect by voicing your opinion in a respectful way. Besides, I'm a "future" Banshee owner anyway............ See you on the Shee boards.

Thanks Fellas,

EC

Old 07-12-2001, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

What difference does it make? He's got less cash into his than if he were to buy a 400ex.

Why do you keep avoiding all of the things that have been said so far? You say something, someone replies, and then you drop the subject.

You were saying how fast your EX could be if you spent the same ammount of money on yours as he did on his. Since his is still less than a 400ex with his current mods then I guess you can't put much into yours for that price. BUT, let's just say you could put...hmmmm...$800 into your EX, what would you buy?

I'm not saying the 400ex is a bad quad...personally I think that they look good, and I have heard wonderful things about the handling. A lot of times I would rather have the EX than my Polaris, but it goes the other way too.

The thing that get's me is you come on here talking that Polaris' are just junk and the automatic is worthless and all of this crap but you won't back it up. Dude, the guy told you he would race you. Prove that what you say is true.

Again, I'm not dissing the EX or praising the Sport, they are both good quads (just good at different things). My problem is with the people come on here claiming that there opinion is fact and then don't have the b@lls to back it up.

But then again, wouldn't it be better if we could all just get along? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

-Josh

Old 07-12-2001, 08:17 PM
Pro Rider

You know, I feel the need to give the devil his due here! I used to hate the "auto" tranny compared to a manual, or a manual shift auto. The auto just doesn't hook up and go as well as a manual. However, experience has taught me that there are area's where the auto is superior. Hill climbing, and mudding! Since in this comparison mudding is really a non-issue. When it comes to long steep hill climbs, the manual tranny guys had a lot of problems getting to the top without killing their motor, or getting messed up half way up with a botched down shift. No matter what the hill, I just put'er in low and went. I made it everytime in one try. None of the Raptors, 400EX's, or 'Shee's could say the same! Of course I'm not talking about a big sand dune, but a long, steep, rutted, rocky, root infested hill. In that area the auto is far superoir to a manual! This has been true whether I'm in 4WD or 2WD, the auto is just better at it!
In the dunes, the manuals kill me easy, at everything! Thats where they rule.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Rick

Old 07-13-2001, 12:32 AM
Range Rover

No H300f,I dont feel Iam bragging read my frist post I said the banshee in the video beat me at comp hill.But on the other hand I will not let some geek with a stock 400ex talk smack,this guys mouth is faster then his quad!
yes I have had this polaris at the track,and no it wont handle the jumps like a 400ex but it has such a advantage in the acceleration dept. it makes up for that..in my book forget how it handles I dont care thats not my thing.
And beleave me I like banshees they are a kick to rip on..but Iam not a little guy and the banshee just dosnt have the bottom end power for me.I get to ride that banshee in the video all the time,and the banshee owner rides our 400L's and he cant beleave how a polaris can be made to run so fast,I have to fight to get my quad back sometimes.
And trust me I will never brag about my sport400 being fast when there are guys like Dennis Shotwell and Eric Bellinger out there,now they have FAST polaris sport 400's(see my web page for there Quads)
Will I buy another polaris? most likely no but I will not sell mine,my next quad will most likely be a 660R or if honda makes a 650 or 450 that runs maybe that,see I dont hate hondas..I just feel the 400EX is WAY overrated...dont beleave every thing you read in dirtwheels and before I got my polaris I was going to buy a 400ex but thank god I got to ride it frist I said to my self..the wifes polaris is faster than this thing(the 99 sport was hers back then)so I got her a new polaris and I took hers and the rest is history
Later!

Old 07-13-2001, 12:48 AM
Trailblazer

Just to add, my 400EX wasnt nearly as quick when it was brand new.
(NOT saying it would touch your polaris, just facts)

Now that its loosed up and broken in, it is noticably faster.
(I can stay right with my buddies Honda XR650L untill 4th gear on pavement)

The mags might have overrated the 400EX when it was brand new because of the hype. However, If you ask ANYONE how they like their 400EX, I would bet every one of them would say they love it.

(ps. I didnt say the PVT was CRAP. I just said that I thought it would be boring.)

Old 07-13-2001, 01:31 AM
Pro Rider

Wow!! this post started from almost objective to a stupid 10 year old like arguing...
THIS BEING SAID,

the banshee rider is really bad...I don't know if ever hit the powerband!!! and if he indeed id ported, then he missed it completely (ported engines are more peaky).

If "we" manual riders find excuses, it's because missing a race is MUCH easier than it is on a Sport. Last time, we were racing on a very unequal surface, sometimes rough and grippy, and 2 feet further, sandy and loose...well, out of 5 races, I missed 4 starts. Excuses? Yeah!! I couldn't spin enough to take off properly and not bury myself in sand, or I would give it too much gas, and it'd wheely on the grippy section, what gear to start in? how do I clutch it? smooth, and grippy? hard and spinny?

On an automatic, you can't really do many things wrong...just smash the gas and you're off!

I'm not an automatic fan either...I just like shifting, feeling the direct link between the throttle and the tires, I know what's happening exactly, without any delay.

Now with the excuse thing being clarified...when you're in front, excuse or not, you won...and basically, that's the only important thing...isn't it??

Oh yeah...you're fast indeed...my buddy (Xplor) has a similarly fast 400 scrambler...hey...teach him how to jet the 39mm carb...

I was also wondering why a 10 year old on his 400EX doggy is bothering trying to convince everyone his machine is the best and we are all morons because the price of our machines + mods is what he'd have paid he mommy had gotten him a 440 that would dust the whole world in the woods,when the conditions are perfect for him....

Old 07-13-2001, 02:19 AM
Pro Rider

One thing I'd like to add. People who badmouth the automatics don't understand how much tuning is involved to make the auto run correctly. There are thousands of spring, weight, helix and tension combinations. It takes some practice and skill to tune one right.

Old 07-13-2001, 03:09 AM
Trailblazer

So what you might tune some polaris right,but man you just wasted your time tuning a peice of crap.

Quick Reply: VIDEO sport400 polaris spankin banshee