Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Need more top end?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2001, 02:39 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put the Big Gun exhaust on and went riding this weekend and noticed a nice increase in performance. I went with a 150 main jet and I'm at 500 ft. elevation. I was hoping the exhaust would extent the usable RPM but the quad still feels like it just stops pulling at the top of the revs(but still seams like it could pull a little longer). How can you tell if you hit the rev limiter? Does the quad cut out like a car would? I thought I might be running a little rich but when I pulled the plug I thought it looked lean so I took it to the YAMAHA dealer and they said it was OK. I don't think that the slip on Big Gun exhaust and the Pro Flow Filter kit would require going up more than two jet sizes. Would venting the air box help the quad pull longer or just harder?

Old 07-16-2001, 02:55 PM
Trailblazer

I have a banshee and the stock jets are 200... I was told from yamaha that when I added a exhaust system I needed to go up 50.. and then 10 for air filter, 10 more for rad valves 10 more for removing the goose neck and 10 more for boysen reeds. so i am up to 290. I don't think that would cause your warrior to bog out. Does the warrior come with the speed limiter? not the rev limiter but the actual screw that you can adjust for speed? check on that.

Old 07-16-2001, 03:07 PM
Range Rover

The warrior does come with a speed limiter. The quad doesn't bog down in the higher RPM's it just seams like it should keep pulling a little longer. I don't have anyway of checking the RPM's, I will check on the screw, I've heard that you should not remove the screw so how do you know that you have it backed out far enough that it's not limiting the throtle?

Old 07-16-2001, 04:18 PM
Pro Rider

To check the Throttle travel limiter screw...Take the top off your thumb throttle and push the throttle all the way in. You can see the screw with the cover off.
You want to try to avoid a situation where you can open the throttle too much causing binding. That's why they say not to totally remove the screw. It helps to check and see if the slide in the carb is at full open when you depress the thumb throttle...then set the screw accordingly.
If the throttle stop screw is out too far, you can possibly stretch a cable or bind the spring under the carb top.

Old 07-16-2001, 09:25 PM
Trailblazer

I would vent the Air box and if our looking for top end try changing the rear sproket down 1 or 2 teeth.

Old 07-17-2001, 09:39 AM
Range Rover

SpdRcr,

Old 07-17-2001, 09:47 AM
Range Rover

SpdRcr
I noticed you live in Dallas, where do you ride in the DFW area? I go out to Lavon alot because its the best local place I've found. My brother and I go to Red River about twice a month and we like it, we tried Rocky Ridge but as the name says it's to rocky for my liking. I prefer fast paced trail riding or racing and jumping. We've been looking for more people in the DFW area that ride, it always seems more fun with a group of people to chase through the trails. Also what main jet did you end up with after installing the Big Gun exhaust?

Old 07-17-2001, 10:06 AM
Trailblazer

I am probably going to regret telling you this but oh well. I like it when no one is there but I would like to see more quad's out there. I live in the Plano area and drive to sherman about 3 to 4 times a week to ride at a mx track called Jack Barnett. It has an mx track that is well maintained and watered very frequently. It also has alot of fast paced trails and ways to make your own. It is open everyday till dark and it cost 8 dollars to ride all day. Everyone out there is really cool by taking turns on the track. You take 75 north to sherman exit 691 turn right go until it dead ends turn left onto 91 and it is your fisrt right be carful there is no sign its right before lucky stop. See you out there. I only go to 78 when it is muddy