Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Help i hope i'm not the only one!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2001, 02:35 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been having problems with my raptor, its got less than 40 hours on it, but it has an intake malfunction. I'm in no way bashing the machine because i love every minute i'm on it. my problem doesn't have to do with the lousy air box, but between the carbs and top-end, it pops the carbs off when i ride it, i'm not the only one in my area that has the problem. there is at least 3 more riders that go to the same shop i do that have the same problem i do. My service manager says that it is a design flaw and i am trying to get my problem fixed. yamaha calls it a low fuel to air backfire at low rpm's from lugging in too high of a gear, or going downhills with the throttle closed. The service manager said that there is a new modified intake from yamaha but that doesn't work either being that anothe 660 owner already had the mod done and was climbing a hill and the carbs poped off, well he ended up getting pretty bruised up. so it is no longer a mechanical issue but a safety issue as well.

I am 20 years old and i have been riding for 8 years now. i'm not an expert and my 660r is stock. I rlive and ride in Pennsylvania. thank you and I will update as I go through the process of getting this fixed.

thank you for your time please post more messages if your having the same problem or are making more progress with yamaha and contact me at Probe_one_canobe@yahoo.com

Old 07-21-2001, 03:58 PM
Range Rover

Do a search on "Carb" in this forum. You will find many posts pertaining to the carb boots problem already posted. Old news...

Old 07-22-2001, 12:49 AM
Pro Rider

Well, I know 2 people here in Quebec (2 out of 3!!) who have this same problem...my riding buddy, doesn't, but 2 other Raptor ownrs we talked to, had the carbs popping off, the engine stalling when wheelying (all have this problem), one has had everything but it lookedlike he was being VERY rough with his machine (bent axle, AArms, tie rods, 3 oil tanks broken, no more starter, carbs popped off), but again, he seemed to be rough with is Raptor...
Have you tie the richer pilot jets? That's what some peope rcomend, and i thin theysaid i worked fine...might as well give it a try