Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Has anyone tried a Cobra exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 10:15 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone tried any of the Cobra exhaust pipes on their quad? Their prices are really good compared to other exhaust companies, but I've never read any tests on them.
Any feedback on this would be great, cause I want to get a pipe, but I don't want to throw my money away.

Old 07-24-2001, 10:47 AM
Range Rover

Alot of people in here will tell you there junk. Of coarse most have never tried them, they have had a friend that saw one once that said they were junk, and thats all. I have tried alot of different pipes on modded Warriors and found that they all help over the stock pipe. The only way a person could ever really tell is to put them on a dyno, but I would bet that it would be a very minimal difference. I did see some text result of some of the leading "expensive" pipes and was very shocked. On a brand new Woverine that was rejetted for each pipe, the best that these pipes made was 1 more hp than stock. And that was for the best one! I really feel that if your on a budget, like I am, that the Cobra's are a very good choice. I also feel that for $200-$300 plus rejetting cost, you really should get more than a nice shinning, expensive, name brand, everyone gawk at, pipe! This is just a dumb plow boy's opinion, but it is one based on experience.

Old 07-24-2001, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

Cobra exhausts, One word - LOUD

Old 07-24-2001, 02:36 PM
Trailblazer

Does cobra make a pipe for Raptors? If so how much and where can you get one.

Old 07-24-2001, 03:37 PM
Pro Rider

asfastasu is right, and so is 92LT. Most people in here have never tried one, so they don't know. If you want my honest opinion, I would spend the money to get something better. 92LT is exactly right, Cobra is nothing but noise. I had a 2000 Warrior, that came with a Cobra, and the stocker. When I asked around about Cobra, I heard that they were loud, and not a good pipe. I thought.. how loud could it be.. the answer? VERY. Personally, I could not tell any difference running the cobra, and then putting the stocker back on, and taking the baffle out. Power wise, an unbaffled stocker, and a cobra are almost exactly alike. I took my cobra apart, then took my stocker apart.. When you remove the baffle, you have a Cobra pipe. They are nothing but a megaphone. If you want the same power as a cobra, take your baffle out. But I have to warn you, It's going to be LOUD!

Old 07-24-2001, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

I had a cobra on the 300ex. As posted- L O U D...very loud. Not fun to follow someone with a cobra exhaust.
As far as performance...yes it helped alot. We pulled the airbox lid..added an outerwear to the filter. Bolted up the cobra and rejetted. It will make a noticable improvement over stock.
I did try to run the bike without rejetting...though the sound changed...the performance gain was not much at all.
For the price, I would say they are worth it...that's if you ride in an area where sound does not matter.

Old 07-24-2001, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

Ahh, SaYiT_FmF is probably right, I didn't mention the bike was not rejetted.. Yes, a K&N, outerwears, and no airbox lid would definately help. But like he said, it all depends on where you are riding! It is so loud, I had to cut my friend off just to get around it!

Trending Topics

Old 07-24-2001, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks guys, for your input. I have actually already removed my baffle, drilled my airbox and rejeted. If a Cobra is only as loud as the stocker with no baffle, then that's not too bad. No, I can't sneak out for a ride with out the wife knowing that I'm leaving, but it's not real obnoxious.
Maybe I'll give the Cobra a try.

Old 06-23-2004, 02:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Has anyone tried a Cobra exhaust?

dont give cobra a try i personly have a cobra utility siers pipe on my 1996 Warrior for a stock replacement it not bad but i got no power gain at all. its just a real little bit lounder then my stock pipe but not nearly enough that the neigbors are going to notice. i have spent alot of time rejeting my carb to get it so that it would compete with a stock warrior, in a drag the winner is detemined by who ever is luckyer. but adding all the time that i spent rejetting it was not worth it. and o by the way a FMF power core pipe adds alot more the 1 horse. if you want power that is the way to go. befor i put a huge dent in my FMF power core pipe, i had enought power to compete with a 400ex if not i could beet them. the dent is the reason i got a stuiped cobra hope that helps but i swear to you that what i just said was out of experance

Old 06-23-2004, 02:53 PM
Trailblazer
Default Has anyone tried a Cobra exhaust?

cobras dont give you any more power from what i heard. save the extra dollars and get an HMF

Quick Reply: Has anyone tried a Cobra exhaust?