Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How are these boots?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered the Fox pawtector gloves and RS jersey and plan on getting the 360 degree pants next week. I noticed there boots (Forma Comps, 2001) and liked them a lot. Do any of you have them and how are they for ATV riding? They look to have a lot of leather and seem very flexible because of it, are they?

I also need a good helmet for around $150, what are your recommendations?

Old 07-25-2001, 12:23 AM
Trailblazer

I always wera alpinestars boots, about the most comfortable ones for me. I have 2 years on my tech 5's and no problems.
I just picked up a Oneal sl-710 helmet off of www.motorcycleusa.com for 150 bucks last week. Its lightweight and has a nice liner in it. Most of my friends wear HJC or Oneal helmets. Also if your looking for some good gear. Check the mx shops. I picked up a good set of used Oneal 2000 hardwear for 80 bucks. The guy wore it twice and wrecked bad and can't ride again. Most mx guys I know get rid of there old stuff when the year changes and some of it is not used much. They have there main set and a couple pairs of backup pants and jerseys.

Old 07-25-2001, 12:46 PM
Pro Rider

I went back over to Motorcycle USA last night and found a Thor SVX on sale for $114. It has the Coolmax liner and its one of their better helmets, have you heard anything about these? Its a great price if its a comfortable helmet. Its Snell and DOT approved, I think it was a Kevlar/Fiberglass blend.

I'm going to stick with the Fox jersey since I all ready have the gloves and jersey, want to get the 360 degree pants to match 'em now.

Old 07-25-2001, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer

The coolmax liner is what mine has. They are really nice. Also a removable liner is nice to have. Most helmets have it. When your helmet gets funky smelling you can take the liner out and throw it in the washing machine.I have not heard much about thor helmets but it sounds like a good helmet. Check there return policy in case you get the wrong size or don't like it. A good rule of thumb is take the helmet in your hands with one hand on the front face piece and the other on the back. Now squeeze it toghether. If it flexes, think about what it will do when you crash hard. Some flex I heard is ok, but too much and you might as well were a coffee can on your head. Some of these places on the net are no returns. I'd really check out some alpinestars boots if you want a good brand. The hardest part about wearing boots is getting them broke in and adjusting to them. Then you'll wonder how you ever rode without them. To break them in, I always wera a new pair when I am out side doing something in the garage. The more you wear them, the faster they'll mold to your feet.

Old 07-25-2001, 01:21 PM
Pro Rider

Good point about the return policy. I checked out the website and they state that there are no restocking fees on refund or exchange items but the buyer does have to pay shipping (and I'm ok with that because it would be my fault if it didnt fit). The helmet is $199 everywhere else right now but it looks like Fox and Thor 2001 items are on sale right now over there. That helmet is an $85 savings right now, hope its still on sale next week! Wish those boots would go on sale too.

I'll check into the Alpinestars too. Oh, one other question. Are the Bieffe helmets any good, they are pretty cheap and the middle ones seem to be made out of the same materials? I like the graphics on the SX Tech line. How do you pronounce Bieffe by the way? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 07-25-2001, 05:32 PM
Trailblazer

I do not have any first hand experience with Bieffe, I have heard that they fit alitttle tighter than most. Not sure how to pronounce it either. I am looking for a new snowmobile helmet and they make some nice ones. I might end up with one this fall. I usually find a brand I like and stick with them. Like only shift gloves fit my hands the best, others I have tried bunch up in the grip area and give me bad arm pump. Alpinestars boots are more expensive than most, but your paying for quality that will hold up to abuse. Depending on what size you wear good deals on boots can be found on Ebay. I've seen new sets of discontinued tech 5's and 7's go for cheap! On the sales, I think they run a couple brands a week on sale. I purchased mine over the new with a credit card and it was at my door in 2 days. I am a little leary of purchases over the net, I always try and read the fine print.Also mxsouth is another reputable internet company, they cater to bikes more than atvs, but there ok.

Old 07-25-2001, 05:38 PM
Pro Rider

madweazl,

Fox Racing catalog source code 8028 has 2000 Yamaha 360 limited pants for $90. I ordered a set approx. 4 months ago and they hold up really well. If you want them you have to get them quick because they sell out of the popular sizes. These pants were originally $160. One of the dirt bike magazines did a "riding boot shootout" with about 15 different brands/types, and as I recall the 2001 Formas ranked near the top. Of course the Alpinestars Tech 8's won. They are pricey, but I figure they're cheap insurance, depending on the kind of riding you're planning on.

Old 07-25-2001, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

Gotta get the yellow/black ones now (on sale for $99 over there so not to bad), this is the color sceme I'm running and want to match them up. Do you remember what mag did the shootout by chance, I might get the back order if it was good reading.

Old 07-26-2001, 04:27 PM
Pro Rider

The boot review is in the July 2001 edition of "Dirt Rider". They started with 24 models and cut it to the 15 they would recommend. The Forma rated 8th because they didn't care for the ratchet adjustment on the straps. Alpinestars took the top three spots (Tech 8, Tech 6, Vector). It's a well done test. The picture they usedfor the Forma's is of the yellow/black combo, they look sweet!