Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

worst stuck

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2002, 01:14 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

me and my dad went up to knik river earlerier in the year when it was breaking up i was folowing my dad on his 6x6 were going to cross kims creek next thing we no ice is breaking from underuse and were floating in jims creek i took awhile to get my dads 6x6 out not so long to get my warrior out though.

Old 06-11-2002, 01:31 PM
Pro Rider

HEHE,

I guess the worst stuck for me, is when i go ride and DONT get stuck!

Almost every trip out, i am testing the "depths" of mud and muck. I have been in, and seen some of the kewlest stucks...

One in particular, was an articat 500i. He still had the stockers on it, and after following me through a small water/mud hole, he decided to go a little to the left, to get out of my deep ruts. WRONG IDEA! It dropped off about another 12" and he swamped it....

After winching his bike out, we pulled the plug and turned the motor over. Water spurted out of the hole. Figuring that there was water in the exhaust,
we ran my winch over a tree branch and pulled his bike into a tree nose first. The water drained pretty nice out of the exhaust. Let it sit about 10 min in the tree (had a smoke and drink [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ) and dropped it back to the ground. Took a couple of tries, but she fired back up and finished the days ride.

IMO: If your not out getting stuck...ya aint riding!

Jonathan

Old 06-11-2002, 03:15 PM
Pro Rider

WELL MY WORST STUKE WAS UP AT ATVNY IN THERE ROCKY MUDDY TRAILS .. I WAS LEADING THE PACK ME ON A DS650 MY POPS ON A POLARIS 500 MY GIRLFRIENDS ON HERE HONDA 400EX . MY STEP MOM ON A 250 EX AND ANOTHER CHICK ON A POLARIS SPORT . ( WE TOOK THE GIRLS OUT FOR A NICE EASY RIDE ). SO I WAS LEADING THE PACK GOING THREW EVERY THING 3 TO 4 FEET OF WATERS BIG ROCKS EVERY THING , THEN I CAME UP TO A BIG MUD HOLE THAT HAD SOME HUGE RUTS IN IT. THERE WAS A WAY AROUND IT BUT I SAID SMUCK IT .. HIT THE MUD PIT IN 2GEAR HARD MADE IT ABOUT HALF WAY THREW AND THE WAS JUST SPITTING MUD ALL OVER THE PLACE .. ALL I GOT TO SAY IS GOOD THING FOR MY DADS WINTCH BECAUSE I DIDN,T EVEN HAVE TO GET OF MY BIKE . HE JUST THREW THE WINTCH OUT STRAPED THAT BITCH TO THE FRON BUMPER AND HE PULLED ME OUT WITH NO PROBLEM .THEN I TOLD MY GIRL YOU CAN MAKE IT JUST DON,T GO IN MY RUTS .. WELL TO MAKE A LONG STORE SHORT SHE DIDN,T MAKE IT EITHER . SO YOU KNOW WHAT WE HAD TO DO THEN .. WINCH TIME ...

Old 06-11-2002, 03:46 PM
Trailblazer

Was riding out on a swamp behind our house in the middle of winter... hit some thin ice and the whole quad sunk down into about 10 ft of water. all you could see was the two back tires floating. had to wait for all the ice to melt before we could take about 500 ft of rope and float it over to shore!!

Old 06-11-2002, 03:58 PM
Trailblazer

got stuck in the spring creek trails out here in tx, in a huge mud pit they call devils hole (and for good reason, youl see huge *** decked out 4x4 trucks being abandoned their, with mud kings/super swampers and all kindsa crap) got stuck in a hole bout up to my seet, that mud is slippery, took bout 10 minutes of rocking on it for me to get some traction, hadto stand up on tha grab bar got traction for bout 2 seconds,just enuff for me to be able to pull it out...was a pain in the *** [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2002, 11:49 PM
Weekend Warrior

ratman,
yeah i have a wolverine. im not sure where we were. the trail stats at the wilder pit in palmer. i think it was part of the matsu rive, bnot certain though, yeah we go 4wheeling at king river all the time. i love that place. but where i rolled my machine in that hole, it was crazy cause the water wasnt deep but the mud in bed was that clay gooey stuff. but you ootta watch out there cause there are alot of drop offs like that. will summerging my mahcin like that ruin it though? also where are some good trails, besides the king river trail?

Old 06-12-2002, 11:16 AM
Range Rover

Wolverine01~

You asked about the damage that could be done to your machine by that glacier water:
To answer your question directly, YES.That stuff will wreck havoc on your machine. That glacier silt will work its way into your breaks and everything else it can get into. It is the same thing as sand-blasting your equipment. There are many guys that go out there with their machines. You can be sure that their overall maintenance efforts will be drastically increased because of it. I have worked on machines that were taken down there on a weekly basis. It is amazing how much wear and tear that glacier silt puts on a macine's components. Personally I don't go out there at all with my machine. Its your machine, your choice.

Regarding other trails to try:
1. Have you ever tried Wishbone Lake? That is a great trail with lots of subsiderary trails that could take a lomng time to thouroughly expore.
2. Have you tried the Jonesville trail system above Sutton?
It goes way back into the headwaters of Granite Creek.
3. Have you tried the Permineti Trail near Chickaloon?
4. How about Boulder Trail at mile 99 of the Glenn Highway?
5. How about the Pinocle Trail out near Eureka?
This trail is great and a lot of fun. But it is not frequently used because it is not for the faint of heart. If you under estimate this trail you will destroy your machine.
6. How about the Monument Hill trail system in Eureke? Don't try this one during breakup. You will get down the hill going in, but you wont get back up the hill coming out.

If you would like more information on where these trails are just let me know. I will be happy to help out. There are also publications out there that actually list known ATV trails here in Alaska. It rates the difficulty and general layout of the trails. It's a pretty good reference.

Old 06-12-2002, 01:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

on any of those trails witch ones do u think i could get my warrior threw im getting really sick of kink and whats up in petersvill ? were thinkin of taking a trip up there ?

Old 06-12-2002, 02:43 PM
Range Rover

meakajuststout~

Sorry, I really can't help you there. I've never ridden a sport quad before. I have no idea what they are capable of. All I can base an opinion on is the performance of a utility, 4wd ATV.

I was up at King River this past weekend; we were camping near tree line, when two sport quads came through. Honestly I was surprised they could make it that far. We showed them some areas of the trail so that they could get around some tricky spots and they kept right on going. You could make it up that trail for sure.

As for Peterville:
I would guess you would have a good time riding the road out to the end. If you have never been there, the dirt road itself can be quite an adventure.
As for the trails out there, I purposely didn't mention them. It is easy to get hopelessly stuck and/or lost on some of those trails. Since the trail system goes for hundreds of miles back in there, a person could feasibly get stuck miles from nothing and have to hike it out if they didn't have the right equipment. Considering that it is bear country, in a big way, adds a further measure of danger to such a situation.
Since we all have differing degrees of competence in the great outdoors, I don't want to be responsible for sending someone into a bad situation.

All the trails I mentioned earlier have enough traffic on them that a person could get help within a day at most if they got stuck without the right equipment.

Please don't take any of this wrong.
All I know is that on a utility ATV I carry everything from extra gas, a tool set, an emergency shelter, heavy duty bear protection, a winch, extra ropes, a ****** block, and everything in between to ensure I can make it comfortably in case the machine breaks down or I get stuck.
Since I don't ride a sport quad I don't know what they can carry to help their riders ensure the same thing.
I want to be both helpful in recommending trails, and at the same time responsible.

Old 06-12-2002, 03:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the info we put all of our gear in the bed of my dads 6x6 i wanna goto pertersvill to ride logging roads i know a couple pepole that did that they said it was really fun .

Quick Reply: worst stuck