Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Nerf Bars???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2001, 06:58 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Could you all please help me in the selection of nerf bars for my Raptor? Graydon Proline or AC Racing seems to be the choices. Fit and finish, cost, and performance are some of the factors I'm looking at. Nerf owners PLEASE HELP!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 07-25-2001, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, first I bought the AC nerfs because that is what my local store happened to have. The welds are sloppy and the front part wouldn't reach the frame on one side where it is suposed to connect to the motor mounts. So I returned them and ordered the Graydons. Much better fit and finish. The front slides on to a spline that bolts to the frame...easy! The rear part mounts to the pegs (vice grip it on, drill 2 holes, bolt it up)easy!. And the design looks better too.

Old 07-26-2001, 03:10 PM
Range Rover

I know its gonna be hard to do, but could you please try to describe your bars to me? Who did you get them from, and how much? Thanks for answering my question!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-26-2001, 03:16 PM
Pro Rider

I do not have a raptor..but I can say that the graydons fit and work flawlessly on my banshee. They have taken a few broad sides with trees with no damage at all.
As mentioned...the install is easy and the looks are great.
The only downfall was the installation of the nets...What a pain in the butt that was. But once on, they are not coming off.

A word of advice...The U bolts that mount the bar to your frame will scratch your paint and frame pretty good after a while. Wrap some electrical or similar tape on the frame before you put the bolts on. Unless you don't mind rust.

Old 07-26-2001, 03:30 PM
Pro Rider

The Raptor nerfs do not use u-bolts so that is not an issue. go to Graydon Proline and check them out. Lots of net colors too. And don't buy the new style where the net is wraped around the bar and pop rivited. some companies are going that route because people are lazy and don't want to fish the net through all the little mounting slots. Ask for Ray or Darrel when purchasing.

here is a pic..."Raptor nerfs"

Scott
Hermosa Beach, CA

Old 07-26-2001, 03:50 PM
Pro Rider

Blueleader:
If that picture is really a picture of raptor nerfs...then they absolutely do use U bolts. That little bar goes across the top of the frame...The U bolts come up through the bar around the frame with a bolt on each side.

P.S...they are the same nerfs that are on my banshee...exactly.
I have not looked at a raptor close enough to know better though...maybe they mount differently..But I doubt it.

Old 07-26-2001, 03:59 PM
Pro Rider

That may be the case with your banshee but on my raptor the spline mounts to the frame utilizing the existing skid plate bolts. no u-bolts.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-26-2001, 04:30 PM
Pro Rider

Blue Leader,

Were your AC nerfs the standard set or the Propegs? Thanks.

Old 07-26-2001, 05:03 PM
Pro Rider

Yeah..like I said...never looked at a raptor that close. I'm sure your right...I was using a banshee as the comparison.

Old 07-26-2001, 05:36 PM
Pro Rider

I've got Graydons. The pipe they use are thick and take a beaten. Installation was a piece of cake. A friend of mine went with AC for his Raptor. He returned them because he didn't like the fact that the propeg version eliminates the rear heel guard on the raptor, plus installation was hell.
This bothered me because i was planning on purchasing the AC nerfs to replace my Graydons. I don't like the way the pipe munts in front of the peg with the Graydons. This kills the Angle you need to get your foot below the shifter. I've mis shifted many a time because of this and to this day i occasionaly get frustrated on the track.
I'm thinking about replacing my shifter for a better angle. The nerfs have earned their place on my quad. Quality product.( oh yeah, rub those babies with metal polish...and Schwing!!)
AK

Quick Reply: Nerf Bars???