Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Why do I have gas in my airbox?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 03:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I took off the airbox lid today to drill some holes and put in the 1" filters and when I took it off I had a strong gasoline odor. Upon further investigation I find a little puddle of fuel in the airbox. How did that get there? The quad ran fine the last time I rode it. Has anyone else had this problem?

Old 08-03-2001, 04:32 AM
Range Rover

Depending on the quantity of fuel in the airbox.... Check your crankcase oil level, make sure that your fuel petcock was in the "off" position, and check to see if your carb float is functioning properly. I experienced a simular problem with my son's dirtbike. He had ridden it and then let it set for an extended period of time before I attempted to start it up for him... I cleaned the carb, and when I started it up, the carb "foamed a fuel/oil mixture" back into the airbox... bad thing - it is a 4-stroke. Turns out that he left the fuel on, the float had stuck-causing the fuel to overflow into the case and had misread the crankcase oil level - which he had overfilled! If you have done any maintenance on the quad recently, I would start checking there first... sometimes an over oiled filter that was cleaned with gas will "leak" a mixture of gas/oil into the airbox.

Old 08-03-2001, 10:23 AM
Trailblazer

I have seen this happen on a honda ex. The reason it happened was this guy just got the quad and was trying to load it into the back of a truck and rode up the ramps when they slid out and naturally the quad slid out and stood up on end pouring gas into the air box. I also heard it will do the same thing if you lift the front end up to work on the quad and you didn't shut the petcock off.

Old 08-03-2001, 10:33 AM
Pro Rider

about a month ago, i was conducting maintenance on my Raptor. i had just cleaned the airbox and replaced Pro Flo filter with a fresh spare(in the past i've noticed a small puddle of filter oil in the box...no matter how much i rang out the filter). i then proceeded to stand the quad on it's rear tires so i could tighten and inspect the skid plates. after, i placed the guad on all fours and washed it. cleaning under the air box i noticed the clear container had filled with filter oil. i opened the airbox to find a puddle had gathered with a strong gas oder.

Apparently the gas in the floats back washed when i stood the quad up. passing through the filter robbing it of vital filter oil. My air box is aired out pretty good...in the past the gas was evaporating from the puddle leaving just the oil behind. i didn't notice this at first because it washes out the bottom of the filter( which you cannot see when installed ). This may or may not be the problem your experiencing...either way it's something to watch out for.

AK

Old 08-03-2001, 04:10 PM
RIP Dear Friend

ridnwarrior,
My Kawasaki KDX220 did this since it was new. Small puddle of fuel in bottom of airbox. I even wiped it out once and then when I took the lid off it was right back in there. It was always about the same amount in there so I stoped worrying about. It always ran ok and I didn't really think anything about it. I have purchased new KDX200 and when I did first air fliter clean there was nothing down in the bottom of this machine. I wish I could help out on this subject. With me it didn't seem to matter weather it was there as far as the machine running well or not. Chet

Old 08-03-2001, 08:42 PM
Pro Rider

this is a thought, couldnt it just be back flowing into your airbox from the carb, doesnt seem ot be anything bad to me, seen gas in alot of airboxes