Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Should I get the Wolverine

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2001, 08:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm seriously considering the wolverine as my next ride. I beleive it has everything I'm looking for. I enjoy trail riding,racing,& seeing how much it can take in the thick Mississippi mud. But I do have afew questions before my purchase so if any of you could help I would greatly appreciate it.

How would the wolf do against a big bear 4x4?
Alot of trail riding, alot of mudding & of course drag racing.

One more question:
I used to own a Rubicon, I loved the comfortable ride & its power in the mud. In a way it did lack fun factor though. If I do buy the wolerine will I start missing the Rubicon & its features I listed above?

Thanks alot, WILL

Old 08-04-2001, 11:04 PM
Pro Rider

You will not be happy with a wolverine after owning a rubicon if anything the rubicon has more of fun factor then the wolverine looks like you need a sport atv.

Old 08-05-2001, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

The Wolverine is a good quad and a lot of fun. When you take the racks off it looks just like a sport quad. It has a great low first gear and great top end speed. Since it has the sport suspension it has a nice comfortable ride, as for the mud, I havnet found any yet.

Old 08-05-2001, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider

I'll agree that the Rubicon is probably as much fun as a Wolverine, but I don't know how you can say that it is more fun.
After all these months of trying, what have we found, 1 or 2 hills that you could climb that I couldn't? Don't forget though, that in the winter we also found hills that I could climb that you couldn't.

Can you say that your Rubicon is better in the mud? No. (How many times did I get winched out the last time we went for a ride?) Uphill drags? No. Jumping? No.

How do you figure it's more fun?

You know all too well that sometimes a bit of extra power is a big advantage, and other times lighter weight is a bigger advantage.

I will agree though that perhaps RUBICON4X4 needs a sport quad if he wasn't having fun on a Rubicon. Either that or someone to show him what they're capable of.

Old 08-05-2001, 01:06 AM
Pro Rider

RUBICON:MORE POWER TO SLIDE THE REAR?YES
CLIMB SAND HILLS MUCH BETTER?YES
UPHILL DRAGS BY FAR STOCK WHEELS AND BY FAR IF DO NOT START FROM
BOTTOM
RACING?RUBICON SMOKES A WOLVERINE
BETTER RIDE AND HANDLING?YES

DOES THIS NOT SOUND LIKE FUN?YES
AND YES THERE IS SOME ADVANTAGES TO THE WOLVERINE AND LIGHT WEIGHT IS ONE THEM.ANY OTHER ADVANTAGES HMMM..IWILL TAKE A FEW DAYS TO SEE IF COULD COME UP WITH ANY.

Old 08-05-2001, 03:01 AM
Range Rover

To experienced riders the Rubicon would be plenty fun. Since I'm not that skilled I beleive that I need a smaller bike (like the wolverine) that I would enjoy more. I definatly plan on modding it for performance & that includes bigger tires just to give alittle bit more ground clearance.

The reason I'm not looking into a sport quad is because of my wife. But after I get this bike paid off I'll probably in the market for a raptor. WILL

Old 08-05-2001, 05:02 PM
Pro Rider

<< RUBICON:MORE POWER TO SLIDE THE REAR?YES
CLIMB SAND HILLS MUCH BETTER?YES
UPHILL DRAGS BY FAR STOCK WHEELS AND BY FAR IF DO NOT START FROM
BOTTOM
RACING?RUBICON SMOKES A WOLVERINE
BETTER RIDE AND HANDLING?YES

DOES THIS NOT SOUND LIKE FUN?YES
AND YES THERE IS SOME ADVANTAGES TO THE WOLVERINE AND LIGHT WEIGHT IS ONE THEM.ANY OTHER ADVANTAGES HMMM..IWILL TAKE A FEW DAYS TO SEE IF COULD COME UP WITH ANY.
>>

I haven't noticed you sliding the rear very much. If that was a priority I'd think you'd go with selectable 2/4wd.

Climb sand hills better? As I said, we've found one or two hills that you could make that I couldn't. At other times we've found hills that neither of us could make, but where I could highmark you.

Uphill drags? As I remember we were always DEAD EVEN. Every time we tried.

Racing? Yes, you could beat me, though not smoke me; and remember, I did have the 25&quot; tires on at the time which (as you like to point out) have both huge advantages, and huge didadvantages.

Ride and Handling? How you can say that the Rubicon has better ride and handling? The adjustable preload, longer travel and lighter weight of the Wolverine make it ride and handle very well, and you know as well as I that with the 23&quot; tires it handle's twice as good again. If there are no huge sand hills in the area where this guy lives he could leave the 23&quot;s on and the fun factor would be as good as it gets on anything short of a full on sport-quad.

You forgot to mention snow covered hills, particuly the one behind The Falcon, which I could blast up over and over again, while the Rubicon and the 450ES backed down, over and over again.

As for the advantages. Lighter weight is easily the biggest. Directly related to that is how easy it is to get unstuck.
The number of aftermarket and hop-up parts available for it.
Initial price of purchase is another huge advantage.
Looks. (call me biased)
There is alot less stuff to break when it goes for a tumble.
When something is wrong with it the average owner can fix it rather then bringing it back to the dealer. What would you do with your Rubicon when something goes wrong?

My favorite advantage, though, is that people with quads that cost $3000 more, that have a 150cc advantage, that are much more technically advanced, state-of-the-art, latest-and-greatest, by far the best Honda has ever made, have to nit-pick to try and find ways that their quad is better than Yamaha's 7 year old, stone-age simple, air-cooled, two-valve, over-looked and under-rated sport-utility quad.
It would be a real shame if you couldn't find a few areas where the Rubicon had a clear advantage. Personally, I think it's shocking that Honda's flag ship can't walk all over the Wolverine. Imagine what will happen when Yamaha builds something to compete with the Rubicon. Oh, wait... The Grizz 660...
Try again Honda.

Old 08-05-2001, 05:41 PM
Range Rover

IF I do get the wolverine will the other big quads like the Big Bear 4x4 &amp; the Grizz, will they be pulling me out of the mud all day long? Remember I do plan on a set of 25&quot; tires.

Old 08-05-2001, 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

No they won't be. You'll be fine, especially with those tires.

Old 08-05-2001, 09:05 PM
Pro Rider

Don't worry about needing to get pulled out of the mud. I have a set of Dunlops off a Grizzly and the quad is VERY good in the mud. And also easy to get out when you you do get stuck.
I used to have a winch on it, but you really don't need one, at least not often enough to make it worth the hassel and weight.

One thing about the Wolverine though. It may be a giant killer, but you have to get used to it before it will be impressive. If you're mudding you have to know when to go easy on the throttle and when to hammer down. You have to use body language to coax it along.

For hill-climbing in particular you have to get the shifts down right. On an automatic you can just keep it pinned, but with a Wolverine it's always a question of what gear, when should I shift, or even SHOULD I shift. It's much more technical, which can be a part of the fun, or a source of iritation, depending on the day you're having, and how you look at it.

Quick Reply: Should I get the Wolverine