Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

GPS Speed on a 660 Griz

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2001 | 02:54 AM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

Anyone put the GPS to a 660 yet? I don't have one and I'd like to know what it will actually do. I don't believe the speedometer for a minute until tested, and I don't want to go around saying the machine will go 65 if it really won't.

Old 08-06-2001 | 06:49 PM
Trailblazer

I know I have seen a post with the GPS speed posted. It was from a guy who ran into a guy with a Kawi. He and the Kawi took multiple runs in both directions and his grizz did 68 I think with the kawi doing 67. They also drag raced and both quads were dead even. I am sure temp and elevation will effect speed so saying your machine will do 65 will give you a good margin of error.

Old 08-06-2001 | 08:35 PM
Trailblazer

The guy I think you are talking about had his Grizz at it's fastest run of 69.4 mph. The 650 ran it's best of 65.2 or point something...

Tony

Old 08-07-2001 | 12:45 AM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

I remember that one. Has anyone else tested it?

Old 08-11-2001 | 03:46 AM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

I figured this one out myself. Went and paid about $160 for a Magellan 315 tonight and did a couple runs. At 65mph on the speedometer, the GPS read dead even 60.0mph. So I guess the Grizzly will only do 60, at least mine that is. That was pretty much a dissapointment. I figured it would probably at least get 62. I had to really wind it out on a long *** stretch to ever get it over 59. I tested my cousin's F-150 too now that it has larger tires. Its going 75 when the speedo reads 70. I figure the GPS to be pretty accurate though. Now that its served its purpose, I'm going to take the sumbitch back to Wal-Mart and get my cash back. I don't see myself having any use for it other than what I did tonight. That $160 would be better spent on something for this new quad I think.

I still wonder about the difference between the guy that got 69.4 out of his Etrex and the 60 I got out of my Magellan. Strange things are afoot at the Circle K.

Old 08-11-2001 | 10:23 AM
Pro Rider

Thanks Andy, Very good point. People who run along another vehicle or quad with a speedo have no idea how accurate their reading is. GPS reading or nothing.

Old 08-11-2001 | 06:46 PM
Pro Rider

Andy-
Good thinking there with the ol' swap trick from Wally world. Yeah, that would be a couple wheels anyway wouldn't it? -well, if you go that route anyway. As for the GPS, I'd trust it far more than any speedo regardless of quad or truck. You knew that already, I'm just "backing ya up" I guess. I've GPS'd three of our vehicles, of the three strangely enough, the suburban is the most accurate-being only 1-2mph off. My '97 Honda Civic coupe thing reads about 4-5mph fast with stock tires/wheels (can't see putting money in a "fuel efficient" car that is just supposed to get me by till I get my truck!) Mom's '93 Olds reads about 3-4mph slow. The interesting part is I've got a couple radar readouts from some friendly cops, both speeding and not, just testing the GPS really-ended up being dead on, or within 1mph! If the GPS will keep within 1mph of the cops radar, I figure that is far and away better than any speedo of any type of vehicle-whether quad or "daily driver". I guess the problem now is I can't use the "max speed" feature anymore to get me OUT of tickets! heh heh heh.

Anyway, sorry to hear the Griz isn't QUITE as fast as you were hoping. Maybe with a little more time after it gets broke in more, things kinda settle out a bit, it may improve? Course, you could also use that $160 for a jet kit, k&n and such, see if that helps any.

Best of Luck,

Mike

Old 08-11-2001 | 09:49 PM
Pro Rider

Andy:
How many miles have you got on the Griz? I read in another post how the Griz gets stronger after break-in (maybe it was your post?) Anyways, just wondering if that is a factor and if your top end may improve later.

Old 08-11-2001 | 10:51 PM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

Almost 300 miles. I'd say the max for any improvements would be 500 miles. After that, there really isn't much break in left. Just waiting for things to break themselves!

Old 08-12-2001 | 01:58 AM
|
Extreme Pro Rider

Bulletproof- I did take that GPS back today. Got back that $160 and just damn near dropped it and some more on a Ruger Single Six on the way home. I caught myself though, and came home empty handed. I would figure the GPS to be accurate. I didnt think the Griz was near as fast as it was trying to say it was. Its quick though, and sometimes that can be misleading to some people. My cousin thought it was a lot faster, but I told him it just seems that way cause our AC's only go around 50.

I guess top speed downhill would be around 63, seeing that I did get the thing up to 69 (speedo) one time. 65 (speedo) is about all I can get out of it on flat pavement. Thats still moving. I'll say it will do 60 from now on. Thats as optimistic as I will go, because you really have to wind it out long to get it to read 65. Most of the time, it gets to 63 and then just moves back and forth from 63-64.

The AC only did 47. It was running bad, but I cleaned it up and fixed that. I can probably get 50 out of it all out now with a fresh plug. Its a miserable looking thing now, after I took all the stuff off. No lift, no Claws, just plain 500 with the bumpers. It looks like a toad with the 495 Titans on. Those damn things steer horrible. I had forgotten how bad, but one pavement run reminded me quick. Its funny how how 45 minutes can turn a bike from average to bad *** and vice versa. I kind of feel sorry for it right now even. It rides a ton better though. Actually, its kind of close to the grizzly, except over washboard roads. The griz soaks that up like you wouldn't believe.

Quick Reply: GPS Speed on a 660 Griz