Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

MX racers, I need some clarification, please.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 10:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm looking to purchase some extended a-arms for my Raptor and am unsure what the benefit is to getting +1 forward is, would you mind explaining? Any pros and cons?

Also, if any of you race a Raptor, how wide should I go? +2 or +3?

Thanks for any and all input!

Old 08-07-2001, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

i am riding with +3 lonestars. i wish i went with +2. The +3 work great with the stock rims. problem is i am running with 8" douglas rims with ITP MX holeshots. the new rims sit futher out then stock. My opinion is the +2 are the perfect fit with after market rims.

AK

Old 08-07-2001, 05:10 PM
Pro Rider

Would you please explain to me how the + forward works, pros and cons. I'm just not familiar with this + forward portion of the a-arm.

Thanks.

Anyone else know anything about a-arms, please help me out here.

Old 08-07-2001, 05:40 PM
Pro Rider

If you run hare scrambles opposed to MX, then a +1 width a-arm with +1 on the rims is a better setup. Going too wide will be a problem. Most hare scrambles still use part of a mx track and the wider stance would be nice; however, you will have about 1 mile of mx track and probably 7-8 miles of woods/fields/watercrossings. Better to give up a little on the mx track to gain on the bigger part of the course.

The +1 forward makes the bike longer since the wheels are further forward. The main pro is that it is more stable - it doesn't wheelie as easily and climbs better. One con is that the turning radius is reduced - however, you can overcome this by powersliding with your wider a-arms and axle. If you lengthen the swingarm then you really should go forward on the a-arm to keep the front to rear balance in check.

Obviously, you don't have to keep everything in balance and you can still ride your quad but there is a reason the 250r is what it is. One of the many reasons it is/was the best production quad is due to its front to rear, side to side, and top to bottom weight distribution. The only thing that really throws it off is a big fat rider sitting on top of it.hehe!

I highly recommend calling a couple of companies and talking to the engineers. They should give you the comfort level you are seeking opposed to the opinions posted on a forum. I generally talk to several engineers to make sure their stories/advice match.

Old 08-08-2001, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider

The +1 will make your bike longer, and more stable. They add more weight onto the front of your bike, which is good, since most MX landings are slanted downhill. If I were in your position, I would get +2+1's... They are a great combination.