Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-1999, 10:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If i tilt the wheels inward on the front of my banshee will i need to buy new shocks also? If so what kind should I buy?

Old 07-23-1999, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure whether you're talking about caster & camber or toe-in when you say tilt the wheels in, but I wouldn't think you'd need to buy new shocks purely for that reason. What is the reason you want to change the front end alignment in the first place? Doing so could make a radical difference in the handling of your ride to adapt for a very specific riding style or type. If that is the case, you probably want to upgrade the suspension anyway.
Without more specific info it's hard to make any suggestions on suspension.

Cal, the Az hard packer

------------------
join the Blue Ribbon Coalition online at www.sharetrails.org

[This message has been edited by hot_shoe_cv (edited 07-23-1999).]

Old 07-25-1999, 01:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

I am talking about the camber adjustment inward with new a arms. I am going to use it for motocross purposes and want to tilt for the easier use of sliding around corners. I have had a few people tell me that adjustable a arms are what I need and some have told me new shocks would also be needed. But when you talk new shocks we are talking lots of greenbacks. So if the shocks are not needed right now I will wate until later date to add these on. Thanks for the info, anymore would be of great help. Thanks

Old 12-10-1999, 03:35 PM
Pro Rider

Hi...Sorry to break in on your discussion..

I have a banshee and just made a whole front end change....

If you buy adjustable A-arms that are the stock size....You can use your stock shocks and still have castor and camber adjustment..

If you go with extended A-arms...you will need to get longer shocks in most cases. Unless you don't want to gain any ground clearance in the process.

hope this helps
~Jim

Old 12-10-1999, 10:18 PM
Range Rover

I agree with saylt_fmf. One other thing to look at is the manufacturer of aftermarket shocks will dial in a set for your weight. the stockers arent that well built. The extended width, if you do go wider, will put alot more leverage on the front end, therefore working your shocks harder. the oil will break down faster and you will lose the action on them. they will soften quickly and you wont be able to perform as well. If your going to be competing, it would be recommended that you do go with new ones. Good luck.