Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Paul Turner Pipes. Any good?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-1999, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 98 Banshee. I am having the engine completely re-done (port and polishing, welding crank, aftermarket clutch, cool-head, 2 in 1 carb, etc.). I am thinking about having Paul Turner Mid-Range Pipes installed since I am tired of burning my legs on my FMF Fatty's.

I usually ride at sea-level along the beach and dunes in Rocky Pointe, Mexico.

Any comments from those who are experienced with Paul Turner pipes?

Thanks,

Rob R.
Phoenix, AZ
Puerto Penasco, Mexico
98 Banshee
98 Sport 400 for da lovely wife!

------------------

[This message has been edited by rob4092 (edited 07-23-1999).]

Old 07-27-1999, 11:06 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got the Paul Turner Mid Range pipes a few weeks ago. I mostly ride MX races, sand pits behind my house and a few trails. My Banshee was stock before I installed the pipes and a K&N filter.

On the track they are great. The powerband was incredible. I suddenly had a descent bottom end enough to pull out of the corner if I was in the wrong gear. The mid range was terrific. It just pulls. The top end has an increase also. The best way to describe the difference. Before the pipes, if I were to enter the corner, I would need to be in second gear. I would come out of the corner and need to shift at least two times before the next corner. If I happened to blow the corner, I would always need to down shift coming out. After the pipes, on the same track it was completely different. I would enter the corner still in second gear. But when I hit the throttle half way through the turn the motor would just pull the rest of the way through the turn. Then once I squared off the powerband would kick in. Look out. I would take off and only need to shift once before the next turn and I was going a heck of a lot faster.

Throttle response on jumps was a little scary. I used to be able to hit one jump at full throttle out of a turn while it was stock. My first attempt after the mods was far too scary. I had only time to set the jetting before the race. I had NO practice at all on these pipes. But when I hit the throttle climbing the jump, I launched myself. So much that I did not attempt the big jumps again until I had more practice.

As far as riding in the sand. I firmly believe they are far superior to stock. Maybe a little more top end would be needed, but I do not have any comparison. The control is now very easy. The power is unbelievable. I just think they really opened up this quad's power.

I do know that Paul Turner makes a high rev pipe. I am not sure of the difference but give Duncan racing a call. They are in any quad magazine. Sine you ride mostly in the dunes, I would guess, I repeat – guess, the high rev might be what you need. I love the mid range and everytime I go out (only one race and one day of riding so far) I love them even more.

The placement of the header tube is pretty good. I do not have any worries about burning my legs. The pipe is actually quite thin around the spot for your knees. Even my son can ride it without too much worry of burning. He sits in front of me with his legs hanging down. I do know that the high rev you may have to shave a little off the petcock (from the directions) but do not think it is anything like the others, toomey’s or fmf.

Since I know you from the old forums, I did get them chromed and they look sweet. Give them a call, I found them very helpful. I gave them al my mods and where I ride. The specific jetting instructions for the information was dead on. I am very satisfied. Two friends took it for a spin the other day. They also could not believe the power increase.

Slash
99 Banshee
98 Blaster