Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Posting Tip

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2001, 11:51 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

derekjes,

The reason for my post was not because I was annoyed but to try to educate people who post to the only forum that I read. I did not read your "I'm soooo mad" post because frankly I don't care to waste my time to open your post to find out what's bugging you. If you had given some clue that grabbed my interest then I would have read it. You mentioned that 819 people viewed your posting, but 776 of them may have exited just as fast as they opened it because your post was as lame as your title. Since I didn't read it I don't know.

Again, my only intent was to offer a helpful suggestion. It's worth exactly what you paid for it. I don't care if people continue to post messages with useless titles, it doesn't bother me at all, I just won't read them. But I've seen posts where the person can't figure out why no one is responding and sometimes the problem could be the title.

Why does having a title take up half the screen bother you? Maybe we should just number them and not use titles at all. As you said, "titles... just have to attract people who may be interested in the SUBJECT". Exactly! But "I'm soooo mad" doesn't tell anyone anything about the subject. You said that you would read a post with the title "wolverine", but how many wouldn't? If the title said "Wolverine - what tires are best?" people who don't even have an interest in Wolverines might respond because they know something useful about tires.

You mentioned my post "Warning: recreation unlimited" that I posted to four forums. Were you confused by the title? At least you didn't have to open it just to find out you weren't interested. Maybe I should have titled it "I'm soooo mad". I posted it to four forums for those people like me who only read one forum. I'm pretty sure that the information contained in it was more useful than your "I'm soooo mad" post, but then again I would have had to read yours to know.

You also mentioned my post "can't get my boot under the shift lever". At least you knew what the subject was and didn't have to waste your time reading it. The subject of this thread was how to write an intelligent title, not a discussion of lame posts. For your information, there are no instructions in either the Raptor Owner's manual or the Shop manual for what to do once you have raised the shift lever as high as it will go with the adjustment mechanism. BTW, I got the info I needed to fix the problem from that post.

It's pretty hard to measure the valve stem hole without removing the valve stem and the tire. Since you didn't respond with the answer I assume you don't know either, but if you want to pull your valve stem and give me the measurement I would appreciate it. It's amazing what a resource this forum is and it was quite possible that someone could have had the answer.

So get a life and lighten up! Write informative titles or not, the choice is yours.

Old 08-09-2001, 11:50 AM
Range Rover

WOW!!!! You sound a little agitated. Sounds like someone likes to dish it out, but can't take it! I understand that your post was to simply give some suggestions on how to make a more informative title, and that's fine. I totally agree that it may be helpfull for some titles to contain a little more information. What bothered me was the smart a$$ comments you made in an attempt to ridicule the people who make those posts. You thought you were being funny when you were making those comments, but it wasn't funny anymore when someone did it to you, was it? My point still stands, and that is that a title that may seem "lame" to you, may be interesting to someone else. Since 819 people were interested enough to click on my lame "i'm so mad" title, It was probably because they were interested to find out what I was mad about... i don't think, as you say, 776 of them clicked and backed out immediatly. Especially considering the fact that 43 of them responded. However, if they did think the post itself was "lame", the fact remains that the title interested them enough to click on it to find out. I couldn't help but notice that only 2 people responded to your "can't get my boot under my shifter" post, and absolutly no one responded to your "what size are the valve stem holes" title. By the way... in that particular post, you said you were going to remove your old valve stems to turn them around... how about measuring the hole when you do that? Anyway, my intention isn't to start an argument with you over who's post is lamer than who's. I just wanted to get my point across that, as i said before, a title that may not interest some, may interest others. And if you wanted to "educate" people on your idea of how a title should read, you could do it a little nicer. I wasn't trying to be insulting by ridiculing your posts, I was just trying to show you that any title can be made to look stupid if you ad a smart a$$ comment next to it, and no one likes being ridiculed. You obviously didn't.

Old 08-09-2001, 12:05 PM
Pro Rider

<< Write informative titles or not, the choice is yours >>

Old 08-09-2001, 01:23 PM
Trailblazer

derekjes,

You have an amazing ability to continue to miss the point. I am not offended that no one read my post &quot;what size are the valve stem holes&quot;. No one read it because no one had the answer to the question. I could have titled it something catchy like “I’m Soooo Mad”, but all that would have done was **** off a bunch of people who did read it and had no interest in either the subject or the answer to the question. It’s not a game to see how many people you can sucker into reading your post. THAT’S THE POINT, GET IT?

I used humor in my original post to make a point and to make it more entertaining. Had you not opened your mouth no one would have associated my comments with YOU.

BTW, I am not in the least offended by your comments. My posts stand on their own and the most that any intelligent person can say is that they are not interested in the subject. AGAIN, THAT IS THE POINT TO WRITING AN INFORMATIVE TITLE.

Old 08-09-2001, 02:32 PM
Range Rover

for someone with little time to read the forums there is plenty of time to discuss this topic which just might fit in your list. I look at these forums as two things information needed and a good laugh at times. If you want to educate, don't ridicule.

Old 08-10-2001, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

Guys!! Just a thought...why don't you get this hashed out with the private message board?

Old 08-10-2001, 08:48 AM
Range Rover

First of all... as far as I know, we are finished. But I have to ask, what would be the sense of using the private message board for a debate? That's one of the things this board is for.... for asking, discussing or debating. Personally, I enjoy reading debates between people here. And considering the fact that the arguments and debates tend to be the posts with some of the highest views and responses, it seems other people like reading the debates as well. I don't share the thoughts of those who believe that posting on this board is a bad thing, which should only be used as a last resort after the search engine fails, and for whatever reason you can't use the private board. If everyone tried to avoid posting here, the board would become very boring, very fast.

Old 08-10-2001, 04:10 PM
Trailblazer

Hi derekjes,

Good reply! I agree 100% with your comment &quot;That's one of the things this board is for.... for asking, discussing or debating&quot;. Like you, I also enjoy reading and participating in the debates between people here.

I also believe that we have each said all that we need to say on the subject.

Thanks for the discussion or debate. While we didn't agree on everything the forum provided a place for us to air our views.

Old 08-10-2001, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

This is soooo funny! I've seen less of a debate on something important like which tires to spend big money on or what piston to run.

Old 08-11-2001, 12:41 AM
Pro Rider

Derekjes-
First off, NOT trying to stir anything up again, just want to clarify my point-I don't think I worded it the way I meant it originally. To your statement: &quot;I don't share the thoughts of those who believe that posting on this board is a bad thing, which should only be used as a last resort after the search engine fails&quot; -I didn't mean it should only be used as a last resort, simply that for the more common questions, ie- &quot;race gas, airplane fuel, etc.&quot;, if one would just use the search button, they'd have literally hundreds of topics on exactly what they want to know, wouldn't have to ask the same identical question for the several thousandth time, and the rest of the board readers wouldn't get irritated by seeing the same post. You're correct in your statement about which posts get the most views, but did you also notice that the most frequently asked questions also get the LEAST amount of views? I think more people would be willing to offer help to something different for a change, rather than the same ole, same old, -does that make sense?

Case in point-you've been on this board for quite some time now, do you remember that HUGE heated debate between Tree Farmer and Motorhead I think it was, maybe a year or so ago now? Those guys really got into it pretty good, if you're looking for a good debate, but also at the same time, there were a ton of &quot;which fuel to use&quot; questions, pretty quickly, it seemed every other post was about which gas to use. People offered tons of advice at first, but the more questions were asked about race fuel, far less people give an input. I think the guys who give the most accurate, most beneficial information get tired of replying to the same post, time and time again, and therefore will eventually stop replying to the same question, just for something new for a change. As a result, whoever needed the best info possible, is probably not getting the most accurate info, as the &quot;top dogs&quot; on the subject are all tuckered out from replying too many times in the past, ya know. Don't know if that clarifies better or not, just didn't want you to think I meant &quot;search first, post only as a last resort&quot;, that is definately not what I meant. Clear as mud, right! heh heh heh [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Basically I just find it helpful for the more frequent questions, such as jetting, which pipe to run, tires, stuff like that.

Anyway, hope that clarifies at least a little, and I agree with the rest of your last post totally.

Best of Luck guys, and Happy Trails!!!

Mike

Quick Reply: Posting Tip