Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Posting Tip

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2001, 11:07 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

Most of you do a good job of giving a meaningful message title (topic) when you post a new thread but some of you NEED HELP. Consider the lame titles below. My time is valuable and when I can't figure out what the subject is I just skip the post. So if you want people to read your post then put a little thought into the title. It really makes a difference!

HELP!!!
WHAT SHOULD I DO?? (Don't marry her!)
I NEED YOUR HELP!! (I can tell!)
I FINALLY DID IT!! (I don't really care if you are no longer a virgin!)
QUESTIONS??? (We all have questions, give us a hint.)
PLEASE HELP!
PLEASE READ!! And post yur opinions... (You can't spell)
WARRIOR (Warrior what?)
WHAT WOULD YOU BUY? (I don't know, maybe a Big Mac.)
URGENT!!!! (I don't know where the tolet paper is!)
REPLY QUICK! ( ditto )
NEED ANSWER NOW! ( ditto )
SWAPPING PARTS
PLEASE READ!
i got a LITTLE extra money.... help! (Please send to the address below)
I finally broke it (I wouldn't tell anyone)
Is this a good deal?
How much...?
It finally happened! (See I FINALLY DID IT!! above)
Went for a ride today... (How nice for you!)
I am Sooo MAD!!! (And I should care because??)
fdg (I have no clue!)
Any deals out there?!?!?! (Safeway has double coupons on Wed.)

Old 08-07-2001, 11:37 PM
Pro Rider

The worst thing is when some body makes a post such as <new two stroke, is it for real> and then the next day some body makes a post titled <new two stroke, could it be?> What the heck? I often think the same things as you mentioned above though when I read some of the post topics.

Old 08-07-2001, 11:39 PM
Pro Rider

I hear ya, dude! This kind of stuff brings serious reservations about some people's...nah, I won't say it. Listen up, everybody! This is a real good piece of advice.

Old 08-08-2001, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

no, the best topic titles are when the title is just "??????????????" like that. we all know EXACTLY what they mean right? haha

Old 08-08-2001, 12:46 AM
Pro Rider

Remember when you guys first joined the forums. You might have been in a panic too. Just remember that. We are all here to help, right? Just because the guy doesn't have perfect typing skills or know how to phrase a question accurately doesn't mean his question isn't as important as the first questions you ever posted. Ya, I've answered certain questions over and over but put yourself in that guys shoes. His quad runs like crap and he needs help! I say take the time to read the posts and answer as good as you can. I make sure I read all the posts and answer when I can make a difference. That's my opinion.

Old 08-08-2001, 12:52 AM
Pro Rider

<< Remember when you guys first joined the forums. You might have been in a panic too. Just remember that. We are all here to help, right? Just because the guy doesn't have perfect typing skills or know how to phrase a question accurately doesn't mean his question isn't as important as the first questions you ever posted. Ya, I've answered certain questions over and over but put yourself in that guys shoes. His quad runs like crap and he needs help! I say take the time to read the posts and answer as good as you can. I make sure I read all the posts and answer when I can make a difference. That's my opinion. >>

yea, I agree with that, but the problem is I try to find posts that will appeal to me, and/or I might know something about... trying to choose which posts to read in a limited amount of time can sometimes be difficult [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] lol

Old 08-08-2001, 01:49 AM
Pro Rider

Ha ha! Good Post RoadKill! Liked your little &quot;side notes&quot; there. One thing you forgot to mention however, was that little button at the top of the forum, about 3 buttons over-you know, the one entitle &quot;SEARCH&quot;! I think most of the guys don't really know what that button does, or never even tried using it. Too many of these topics are VERY similar in nature-say &quot;race fuel&quot;, &quot;high octane???&quot;, &quot;what fuel should I use&quot;, &quot;airplane gas???&quot;, etc. Another good one is &quot;What's the best tire???&quot;, &quot;what tire do you recommend&quot;, &quot;need new rubber&quot;, &quot;HELP, Tires Got HOLE-what to do!&quot;

In some cases, yes, the search doesn't give enough info, but for most, you'd be amazed at what you can find. Hell, even clicking that button at the bottom, entitled &quot;next 20&quot; would reveal in many cases the same damn question asked the day earlier, like 2000Mojave mentioned about &quot;possible new 2 stroke&quot; bit.

Anyway, Best of Luck guys, and Happy Trails!

Mike

Old 08-08-2001, 02:07 AM
Trailblazer

Hi Cowboy,

You hit my second gripe right on the head, people don't take advantage of the search feature. In most cases the question has been answered more than once in the last 12 months if they would just look. I have found it very useful, especially when I remember reading something and need to find it again. I used to print out the postings that I wanted to keep for future reference, and I have them stacked all over my desk, but I found it was much easier to just use the search feature than dig through everything. Saves a couple of trees too.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and I hope we educated a few people.

Old 08-08-2001, 03:25 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, that search button has saved me several times from posting new questions-a few minutes there and all questions were answered-and then some! Man, over a years time, it's amazing how many times the same topic will come up.

Highlands Ranch Colorado? No idea where that's at, but do you elk hunt much??? I'm going on my 5th year elk hunting now-absolutely LOVE it-there's nothing like it in the world. And, I still haven't shot one yet! Amazing how much you can enjoy hunting, even without actually harvesting. Got drawn for my first cow tag this year though, so the stakes are upped a bit, I'm REALLY itching for season to roll around. Been really doing my homework this year too, so hopefully it will turn out-even through some aerobic activity into my regular weight training to get the legs and lungs ready for hiking miles into nowhere. Even been practicing with a few different cow calls, thinking about giving that a shot this year, see how it does.

Sorry to get &quot;off topic&quot; here, but cougar opened Aug 1st, bear for my area starts Sep. 4th, and I'm really itching for season to come around!

If you do hunt, Best of Luck! If not, sorry for the post! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Mike

Old 08-08-2001, 09:51 AM
Range Rover

Roadkilljoe... while you do make a point about some of the titles being more likely to be skipped over, I disagree with some of the titles you listed... namely because one of them was mine. I agree that some people could put more thought into their titles, but there is nothing I hate more than seeing a title taking up half the screen. The titles don't have to explain the entire post. They just have to attract people who may be interested in the subject. For example, the post title you called &quot;lame&quot;, which read &quot;I'm soooo mad&quot;, was mine. While I didn't say what exactly I was mad about in the title, people obviously wanted to find out, because that particular post of mine had 819 views, and 43 responses. Sometimes even one word titles which may seem lame to some, may say enough for others. For example, a title which simply says &quot;wolverine&quot; will get my attention because that's what I ride.
Everyone is guilty at some point of doing things on this board which will annoy others. Yourself included Roadkilljoe. For example, you had 4 posts within a 2 day period which were all titled &quot;Warning: recreation unlimited&quot;. To me, that is annoying. Other titles of yours that you may have added to your list of &quot;lame&quot; are these....&quot;can't get my boot under the shift lever&quot; (uhhh... wear smaller boots or raise your shift lever) and &quot;what size are the valve stem holes&quot; (well... you could always measure them). Seriously Roadkilljoe, I'm not trying to flame you, because I do agree with some of what you said. The point I'm trying to make is that when you get this many people together from everywhere, some are going to have habbits that others find annoying and we just have to be tolerant. And just because you may not find certain titles interesting, doesn't mean that other people aren't interested. One final thing I would like to mention, is that it was mentioned about not enough people using the search engine. While I do think the search engine can be helpfull, it would be an awfully boring board if everyone got their answers by looking them up on the search engine, and didn't make new posts.
Just my 2 cents

Quick Reply: Posting Tip