Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just purchased the new 2000 Kodiak,
I have yet to figure out how ATV connection
Magazine got water in the belt housing.

I know it was a "pre-production model" did
they make a change when is sucked down some
water?

Does anyone know what the vent from the bottom of the motor/belt housing to the under
side of the rear racks by the brake light
is for?

Haven't ridden it yet so will keep everyone
informed I can tell you this: I have a polaris and the v-belt on the yamaha kick ##$
over the polaris.

Doug E
2000 kodiak, 1998 425 magum, 1994 220

Old 08-05-1999, 08:25 PM
Trailblazer

It wasn't ATV Connection that was able to get it to suck water, it was 4 wheel atv action. I don't know if you noticed, but when Dirt Wheels tested it, they had absolutely no problems with it sucking in water. My guess is the the hose your were reffing to is some sort of breather hose/maybe an intake vent? Thats my guess.
Later, shawn

Old 08-06-1999, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

I'd really be interested to hear the top speed when you get it broke in. I'm trying to decide on the Kodiak or the Xplorer.

I've ridden both and am having a hard time deciding. The Xplorer feels like it would out perform the Kodiak, just because of the 2-stroke advantage, or disadvantage how ever you look at it. But the Kodiak will probably be more reliable, less maintenance and out perform in the long run.

Let me know how it does in the mud and if you ride with any Xplorers, how it matched up.

Is your Magnum 2 or 4 wd. If it's a 4wd which gets throught the most ??#$?!!. Is the Polaris "true 4wd" a major advantage over the limited slip diff.

[This message has been edited by jhurd (edited 08-06-1999).]

Old 08-06-1999, 05:31 PM
Trailblazer

My polaris is only 2wd used to race three-wheeler and figured what do I need a 4wd for. Oh how fast we learn. I don't ride
with many people can't find many "yet" around
Portland Oregon.

I will let everyone know how it does. No speedo so I will use GPS for top speed.
The Kodiak is much much better built. The belt drive is ten fold better then Polaris just listen two them both and decide which one you like better. Water proofing is way better on the Yamaha. They pretty much hid
any connecters in places very unlikely to get
hit with any if at all substantial water unless you play submarine captain like I have
a time or two. Not worth it too much clean up and draining. The explorer will be faster/snappier then the Kodiak the Kodiak did impress me as compared to the magnum. Keep in mind the explorer won't like turning big tires in the gumbo mud. The kodiak will turn big meats with no problem at all. Right now the Kodiak and other 4wd from Yamaha come
with a Warn winch for $69 dollars. Really good deal.

Muddy_Doug_E
2000 Kodiak, 425 2wd magnum, 220 Bayou

Old 08-08-1999, 10:31 AM
Trailblazer

I really like my 2000 Kodiak so far. No problems at all with agility,speed or power. I think Yamaha made an excellent all around 4x4 that is on the sporty side. I live in NW PA. and due to the drought havent had a chance to do some real muddin yet but I m sure it will do fine. It was a toss up of either the great Grizz or the Kodiac and I dident feel I needed all the size and power of the Griz as 99% of the time I trail ride and do very little utility work and the Kodiak fit the bill. I'm sure the Grizz would too!Had a polaris 250 before (good machine) but got tired of the maint. on it. I ride with explorer 400's and the Kodiak is a tad bit slower at top end but I'm sure it will still be running years from now. We are going riding today and thats why I am on the computer, I am waiting for my buddies to do there pre trip inspection,chain adjutments,hit all the grease fittings and drain the water out of their polaris's.I seem to have so much more time on my hands (or on the seat) since I bought a Yamaha.

Old 08-09-1999, 01:54 PM
Trailblazer

Just finished my first ride this weekend and
let my dad ride my 425 Polaris Magnum, (still
no problems with the Magnum).

The on-command 4wd system really is fun, use it when you need and turn it off and play when you don't need it. Really fun to have well done Yamaha.

The steering on this 4x4 is just amazingly
light in 2wd and you can just barely notice
it in 4wd way to go Yamaha.
With a fairly new engine 8hrs I decided to drag race it up to about 35 or about 200 yards (Yamaha book says short 10-15 second bursts of full throttle are okay) against the Polaris. The Kodiak would win everytime even
with my dad ridding the Kodiak (we used to ride a bunch when I was a kid and dad can ride) 2wd and 4wd we even switched riders and the Kodiak would still win but a little bit closer race. Keep in mind the Kodiak motor is still new and there was about a 10 min cool down for the new motor between each 200yd race. In a 200yd race the kodiak would have 1.5 quad lead with me on it 1 quad lead with dad on 50lbs heavier. This motor is designed for running hard the best torque is in the
higher rpm's I bet the torque curve looks something like a hockey stick it hits pretty
good in the higher rpms.
The engine braking just shocked me all to hell take notes on this one Polaris on hills
that the Polaris couldn't make it up (only 2wd) the Kodiak would almost come to a complete stop yes a complete stop in low range on the way down with that engine braking. Polaris, Arctic cat, Kawasaki this is how it's supposed to work.
I feel for really whipping and sliding through the trails one of two things need to
change on the kodiak:
A 3" wider front end or flatter profile tires on the back with stiffer sidewall. Those Dunlops don't like to slide but with body english the will oblige.
The suspension was really stiff to start but did loosen up slightly as the second day of
ridding went on (ridding a litter harder through the whoops and bumps)
The brakes I can't tell if they need to be broken in or bled or what but Polaris has the
much better brakes it only take a little bit
of pressure on the Polaris to lock them up but was really hard to do on the Kodiak. the front brakes are extremely well hidden inside the front tires nice touch. There is no parking brake but this is something I will change myself the Kodiak has Park but when
you are stuck on a hill stepping on the rear brake to put it in park is not the best solution at all. Brakes are the real weak link on this machine but of course there is a weak link because I didn't design it myself o-well scale from 1-10 10 being high it gets an eight because of tires and brakes.

Doug E. Stefan
2000 Kodiak, 425 Magnum, 220 Bayou

Old 08-09-1999, 06:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

35 mph in 200 yards (600 feet)? It can't take that long to get up to 35? Does it? That's 2 football fields.

[This message has been edited by jhurd (edited 08-09-1999).]

Old 08-10-1999, 01:22 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry was thinking about football tonight
Dallas vx Cleveland and it was really about
200 ft not 200 yards sorry. No both motors
are fairly responsive for 4 strokers. The
magnum has a chain that helps and the Kodiak
has that brand new motor.

Keep in mind we were at 4700-5300ft in altitude.

Muddy Doug E
2000 Kodiak, 425 Magnum, 220 Bayou

Old 08-16-1999, 09:35 PM
Trailblazer

Another ride this weekend and have some more observations. The Stock tires have to go. Just not quite good enough in the really deep mud. The vent compartment for the CVT breather fills up with mud caused by a small gap in the cover and the front plastic I have purchased a few of the pop rivet screws to fix the problem. I also spent time in water over the wheels and can say for shure the belt will not slip I have very high confidence in this. I also hit mudholes at speed that would've sent me over the handlebars had I not been holding on and ready for the surge, (Probably how I got mud in the vent housing). The winch was also a big asset used it to pull me out of an innocent looking mud hole twice some of the ruts left by 4x4s are pretty darn deep ate the right side of my Kodiak, pictures to prove it! No electrical problems from the deep water excursions Nor any water in air box. I believe with a locker on the front that I would've been able to get through any of the mudholes I tried but with the LS front once the right side fell in the ruts and the left side went high with limited traction I was pretty much stuck. The suspension is top notch I hit a rock during early morning scouting (i.e limited light) that jarred my elbow so badly that it swelled up real nice, Not from the handlebar movement but from the upward motion of the four wheeler I was standing at the time with a spotlight in the other hand. Needless to say the Kodiak went through with no problems the suspension ate most of it up at both ends very impressive. I stopped and looked at this rock and then checked the suspension expecting something broke or bent nothing at all alignment still perfect nothing bent or broken! One tuff ATV!

Old 08-17-1999, 11:54 AM
Trailblazer

Has anyone had a chance to find out what the speed is on the new Kodiac. I have been waiting to find out before I buy one. It seems like the bike is going to be a good machine, I like the water cooled engine because it's hot here in Southeast Texas. Thanks Kyle Kimball

Quick Reply: 2000 Kodiak Owners