Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 Kodiak Owners

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-1999, 02:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had mine up to top speed yet. After my next ride I will top it out and measure it with a Eagle GPS system hopefully that will be good enough for everyone. I've read some of the threads on top speeds. My feeling is that the Kodiak pulls really strong up to about 30-35mph then the horsepowr curve tapers off and will probably die off somewhere around 48-54mph. I really feel this is the best 4x4 in the 400-450cc class.
Why: 1.On-command 4x4 Polaris also has this
2.Quit belt drive and well sealed Polaris is loud and net very water proof from personal experience.
3.Double Wishbone suspension Polaris
Doesn't have this, Honda does
4.High compression engine for turning
big tires in the mud and anything else. Nobody else has a High Compression utility/rec 4x4 engine.
5.There are no exposed electrical connections and a well protected battery. Take note on this Polaris.
I have a Polaris and have been very happy with it, but Yamaha has paid attention to details that some others haven't. You get a
lot for your dollar with this machine. Is it the best in any one category no but probably the best compromise between them all we'll have to wait and see a few shotouts from someone other than DW.

Muddy Doug E
2000 Kodiak, 98 425 Magnum, 94 Kawasaki Bayou

Old 08-18-1999, 02:04 PM
Trailblazer

2000 kodiak sounds pretty sweet. but i am curious on how much power it has. i am thinking about getting another quad. but don't know how much power diff between grizz and kodiak. u got the part right about its the best 400cc 4x4 made. i have read all about them and seen them at dealers. but for $200 more do u think i should get another grizzly?

Old 08-18-1999, 02:25 PM
Trailblazer

First question are you getting another Grizzly are trading one in to get the Kodiak.

If you already have a Grizz and are going to keep it no question at all get the Kodiak then you will have the best of both worlds.
Grizz the biggest baddest 4x4 on the market!
Kodiak wil most likely keep up with that Grizz everywhere but on long straights and turning 27" tires.
If you need 27" tires I question if the Kodiak will turn them with authority it will in low range but I think until you hit the higher rpms in high range the Kodiak will act a little sluggish in the low end with 27" tires. I know alot of this has to do with the weight of the tires. The Dunlops that are stock are pretty light 15 lbs for the front and 18 lbs on the back each tire. You could easily double this for large 27" tires. The Grizz doesn't really care what tires you put on it will move them really good. I think you will see more consistant power output from the Kodiak due to the liquid cooling, runs at a more constant temp where as the Grizz air cooled outside temp plays to large a part in power output. Hence all the different top speeds for the Grizz posted. It really comes down to handling and power. If you need and want the "most" power its the Grizz if you would like a smaller lighter better handling package it's the Kodiak. I could've bought the 99 Grizz for the same price as the 2000 Kodiak, Yamaha has a deal with any 2000 4x4 purchase you can get the Warn 2000 winch for $69. This helped solidify my decision to buy the Kodiak. Tommorrow(sp) the new 4wheel ATV Action comes out they will have a test of the new Kodiak I don't know what the will tell you that I already haven't posted!
Hope this helps Good luck let me know what you get.

Muddy Doug E