Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Blaster rear brake

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2001, 05:55 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to tighten the rear brakes on the 2000 Blaster. I can push the brake pedal all the way down and it doesn't have any affect on the brake. I loosened the lock nut and took the bolt (tensioner screw?) almost all the way out. This caused the brake pad or plate (I can't tell which it is) to constantly rub on the disk causing squeeking. Also making this change didn't help the rear brake, I could still push the pedal all the way down and not stop. So new brake pads will most likely fix this problem?

Old 08-11-2001, 07:33 PM
Pro Rider

Have you taken a look at your cable to make sure it is not stretched out. I had the same problem and replaced the cable and it works wonderful now.

Old 08-11-2001, 08:08 PM
Pro Rider

The blaster has a ratcheting brake adjuster. If you tap the pedal 30-40 times it may work. Sometimes the adjuster gets stuck. If it doesn't work, take off the caliper and clean it out real good, inspect the pads and replace if necessary. Then when you but it back together completly fill the caliper with water-proof grease. This keeps the guts of the brake from rusting and getting stuck.

Old 08-12-2001, 02:11 AM
Pro Rider

the adjust may be broke. Take off the side of the rear caliper and turn the big white thing 3-5 clicks. your brakes should start to tighten up keep doing that untill they are how you want them.

Old 08-12-2001, 08:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

hey whats up i had the same problem and i think that either your cable is stretch which i doubt but its possible or you need to take the caliper off and clean all the crud/dirt out of it and then compleatley grease or lube the whole thing then when you put it back on make sure it works good before you put the tires back on and then make sure there is no dirt between the caliper and the break disk then it they should work great

Robert-

Old 08-13-2001, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

The rear automatic adjuster is not working. They are junk. First clean everything really good. Then pack everything you can with wight lithium grease. If you look you will see that the inner side of the break mechanism has a stud sticking out of it while the other has the plastic adjuster. Keep turning the stud out and putting the cover back on until the breaks start tightening up. You may have to try it a few times to get it right. The adjuster is supposed to push this stud out more and more as the pad wears, but it never works. The most important thing to keeping the breaks working good is lots of grease. I drilled a hole in the top of my outer break case and put a grease fitting in. I just give it a pump of so every ride and I never have water in them or any problems.

Old 08-30-2001, 03:11 PM
Pro Rider

Just open the caliper and turn the auto adjuster in some. Put it back together and see how it is. You may have to do this a few times to get it tight enough. The autoadjuster is a very bad design and doesn't work all the time. Also drill a hole and install a grease fitting on the top of the caliper near the small cooling fins. This way after riding you can just pump in some more white grease and all the water comes right out.

Old 08-30-2001, 04:03 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like a great idea.... I assume it's pretty easy to do. So again thanx.. Be safe
Mike