Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Cooling a hot Big Bear

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-1999, 02:53 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone swapped in an electric cooling fan into a Big Bear 4X4? Mine runs very hot during heavy trail riding. Or are there other ways to make a hot Bear run cooler? Thanks. TF

Old 08-26-1999, 03:42 PM
rgv
Trailblazer

I have two air cooled machines (91 Big Bear and a 96 Xplorer) I use for work.

They would both run hot when loaded up and climbing long hills, especially if it was slow rough going.

I switched both machines to Castrol 5W50 synthetic, and they run noticeably cooler. You cannot make the hot oil indicator lights come on in any condition.

Its worth a try for $20 of oil.

Raul

Old 08-27-1999, 09:36 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks, I switched to the synthetic oil. But I would still like to place an electric fan over or in front the oil cooler. Has anyone done this modification? I want to cool this machine down as much as I possibly can. TF

Old 08-30-1999, 11:21 AM
Trailblazer

So you can run regular synthetic in your ATV? I changed the oil on my wolverine and they had me buying YamaLube because they said regular oil would not lubricate properly....what's the real deal?

Old 08-30-1999, 05:22 PM
Trailblazer

Yes you can use synthetics, and yes they will cool down the operating temperature on air cooled machines. I made this switch over a year ago, and it has helped. And beware of Yamaha sales reps selling snake oil. You don't need to by Yamalube. TF

Old 08-31-1999, 12:02 PM
Weekend Warrior

My Big Bear also runs hot when worked hard on the trail. I have Vampires, ATV Locker, lift kit, larger snorkel, but the engine is stock. When riding in deep sticky mud, or when the trail gets technical and I have to keep it in 1st for extended periods.

I have tried to install a larger oils-cooler but can't find room for it. Also, read the article on the ATV Connection, about the add-a-rad kit. This is an oilcooler with a fan, that can be added to your quad.

I too want to add a fan to my quad but can't find a fan to use. Does ANYONE know how much a Kodiak or Grizzly fan costs???

Larry R. '98 Big Bear 4x4

Old 08-31-1999, 12:39 PM
rgv
Trailblazer

When you guys are saying you're running hot, is the over-temp light actaully coming on?? or is it just feeling hotter than you'd like??

what temp does the light come on at anyway??

Raul

Old 08-31-1999, 02:48 PM
Trailblazer

It just feels hotter than it should, and the engine seems to be lacking in usable power under these hot conditions. When my machine gets this hot I also get gas coming out the carb vent tube as well, and the engine runs rough. I have yet to have the oil light come on under this kind of situation though? What puzzles me is this is the same engine I have in my warrior and it has no oil cooler, and I never have these problems with the warrior. TF

Old 08-31-1999, 06:33 PM
rgv
Trailblazer

the Warrior probably doesn't get hot because

1) its a much lighter machine

2) different type of riding, I have the most heat problems when riding slow, uphills, loaded up machine, etc. The type of riding you probably don't do on your Warrior.

If you're looking for a cheap waterproof fan, My Polaris Xplorer has a small fan (6" diameter. It stands up to water and mud no problem, and hangs from a sheet metal bracket that could easily be bent to fit. Try a Polaris dealer, I know from experience that Polaris parts are about 60% the price a Yamaha part will be.

good luck.

Raul