Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How many gears can you wheelie in (Banshee)?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2001, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, just wondering how many gears you have wheelied in on your Shee's?

I can do them in 5th, but I have yet to get the front end up more than 2" in 6th.

Also, can any of you ride a wheelie and shift too? Do you use the clutch or not? I've been trying to do it using the clutch, but I can't. I have to do them on pavement cause I'm running stock tires. I think that I could probably do it, but my rear grab bar is bent up quite a bit so it makes me nervous cause if I go over backwards, it's really going over [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] . I cannot do them at all on the grass with these tires. I would feel better about doing it then.

Well, just wondering.

-Josh

Old 08-17-2001, 12:50 PM
Pro Rider

In second gear, on grass, it should come right up for you. But your right....new tires will help for sure.

I usually start to wheelie in second. It comes up fast..so shifting can be a chore. Keep practicing. I can use the clutch and shift through about 4th gear. I seem to drop it in 5th. A banshee is moving pretty fast by then.

When the bike comes up in second (or first if you choose)...let it come a bit high. Right at the point where it seems like it is going to flip on you. Pull the clutch and hit 3rd (or second). When you pull the clutch , the bike will drop enough for you to comfortably hit the next gear...then it's all up from there. I try not to stay hard on the gas...But rather short blips to ride a nice drawn out wheelie. It's easier if you stand...But also a bit more scary until you are used to it. I am still more comfortable riding long wheelies sitting.

Old 08-17-2001, 02:09 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks for the Reply.

I have tried 2nd gear wheelies on the grass, and for the life of me I can't get it up there (unless I have a bump to go off of or something). I have not been able to hit 3rd gear on my parents lawn, so that's out of the question [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] .

YES, you are right, the Banshee comes up so fast in first and second gear. The first night I had it I did a wheelie in the road and I almost crapped my pants. Since it comes up so fast, it's hard to think about anything else but not flipping over backwards. I'll deffinatly feel more comfortable on grass, or even dirt.

Another strange thing is that when I ride wheelies on the Polaris, I have to stand. Sitting doesn't feel right. I stand up and I can ride a wheelie forever (well, pretty far at least). On the Banshee, I feel uncomfortable standing up, and I feel better sitting on the seat. Pretty weird.

Also, have you ever been able to get the front end off the ground in 6th gear? Like I said, I can do it in all gears except for 6th (Please note that I cannot shift in between gears, but rather I can pull the front end up in each). I've never tried revving it up and dumping the clutch going into 6th, but I have a funny feeling that it won't help much.

Thanks again for the reply.

-Josh

Old 08-17-2001, 03:32 PM
Pro Rider

I'll have to admit...I cannot get a wheelie in 6th gear. There are some back roads near my house. (actually I live on a back road) I can hit 6th gear and lift the wheeles coming over a hill in road. But it is not high enough to call a real wheelie..just light in the front end.
I'm not sure I would want to wheelie on a quad at 60 or 70 mph [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-17-2001, 03:58 PM
Pro Rider

i have road a banshee wide open down a field and up a slight incline and then a flat and i am able to pull the front end up to the balence point and ride it for about 150 feet and then the front end comes down. I have road my raptor at 72mph riding a sraight up and down wheely for about 75 feet and the grab bar hit the ground and almost flung me over the bars. I know i was going that fast cause i was racing my friends formula 500s or something like that and he was pined and i was riding the wheely and when the front end was down i could pull away by 2 or 3 mph. it was fun till i almost went over backwards. and o ya the snow was frozen so i could stay on the top.

Old 08-17-2001, 04:16 PM
Pro Rider

Not to cause a stir....But I would like to see a video of a 70+ mph wheely on a raptor...or banshee(especially on snow). My zx7r did it in first gear...But it's not a quad.

Old 08-17-2001, 04:36 PM
Pro Rider

It is possible to ride a wheelie at 70 mph on blacktop or other hardpack surface. I'm sure that my banshee and I have already done so, although never actually measured the speed. I can pull it up and shift through all the gears on just about any reasonably smooth terrain. My banshee is not stock though. It is a Trinity Racing big bore, ported, carbed, etc., etc. My neighbor once paced me on a paved road, with the speedometer on his 2000 Yamaha R1 indicating 87 mph. Note: that was with Paul Turner pipes and a one tooth larger front sprocket (before Trinity mods). I also have a streetbike, a CBR 929 RR which is quite capable of pulling some high speed wheelies. Neither one do wheelies in the snow! lol. Have fun ridin'!

Old 08-17-2001, 05:23 PM
Pro Rider

the wheely on the banshee was in the summer and not in the snow the wheely with the raptor was on top of the frozen snow with brand new tires when going up an incline to a flat at 70mph at the speed its not hard at all to stand a four wheeler up at all. if you dont bleave me you dont beleave me then it doesnt mater to me because i was the one doing it and my buddy and his brother seen it the one was on the sled. its not like i stood it up by just riding on flat ground there is no way i could get it up then man.

Old 08-17-2001, 10:28 PM
Pro Rider

Interesting stories. I would think that the wind pushing on the broad bottom of the quad at 72 MPH would either slow you down REAL fast or just flip you over but I'm no 72 MPH wheelie expert.

Old 08-17-2001, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

If he still has fenders I do believe a 70mph is possible (and I'm no bullshitter). Once when I dragraced with some buddys (Raptor and 500 scram...I knew I'd win before starting!), it was on a gravel road. Right after a very slight incline (6th pinned) I did the "wheely move" -pulling on the bars and sitting back a little-, and the front lifted very easily, because of the wind. I promptly let off the gas...I'm no wheely expert!

Answer to Piranha...1st 2nd and 3rd are very easy since I can do it...never tried above!

Quick Reply: How many gears can you wheelie in (Banshee)?