Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Big Wheel/Lift Kits

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-1999, 01:01 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am new to the ATV community and have a question. I own a 99 Grizz, live in Alaska and do some serious off roading (Thick Tundra, Muskag, and Rock climbing) for hunting purposes. I have heard that a big wheel kit will improve traction and will be able to pull me out of some hairy situations, that I often get myself into. Also What are the pro's and con's of a lift kit, besides increased ground clearance? I have heard that it can cause undue wear on your bearings. Do I need a lift kit to fully benifit from a big wheel kit?
By the way my Grizz has never been stuck yet. Awsome Machine!

Thanks All!
Ranger

Old 09-07-1999, 06:20 PM
Trailblazer

i have a 99 grizzly with 26-12-12 and a highlifter lift kit its awsome except thers not alot of clearance for the 26-12-12 in the front wheel well when turning in full radius it hits floor board highlifter said to get spacers or thiner front tire or cut floor board well since i have 600 in tires and 200 in lift kit i dont want to spend 150 for spacers so im cutting floor board back 1.5 inches to acomadate for turning radius

Mike bencivengo

------------------
99 Grizzly , Vamped & Liffed

Ride safe today,because to ride again tomorrow is Righteous!!!!

Old 09-07-1999, 06:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

A complete lift kit may not be required.

I only installed 26x12x12 tires and it inreased my clearance by a true 3"! I recommend measuring your current clearance on a smooth, level surface (garage floor works great) with your stock options, then put on the tires/rims you want and re-measure in the same spot.

From what I understand, larger tires can cause more wear on your bearings - just like on an automobile. In that case, lift kits and larger tires can cause quicker wear on your suspension, u-joints, cv-joints, etc. Don't forget, you don't have power steering so larger/wider tires will be harder to steer and you will increase your turning radius.

But, larger tires and more clearance can be very fun! Outdoing your friends in that mud bog, rock climbing without getting high-centered, or tromping on the tundra without sinking 2' is great!

Whereabouts in AK? Sounds like Anchorage or Fairbanks area.

------------------
William Hayes '96 Yamaha Big Bear SE Juneau, Alaska

Old 09-07-1999, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info!

I heard that vampires are better than black waters...is there that much of a difference?
Yep, I'm from Fairbanks, do most of my hunting south of Delta Junction near Black Rapids, also North of the Yukon on the Dalton Hwy.
Is there any full bodied skid plates that you would recommend for a 99 Griz. The stock plates don't look like they are that sturdy and don't cover the entire under carrage like the new 2000 models. Also what type of brush guards do you recommend. The "MOOSE" Brush guards look the most sturdy, but looking at the pic it doesnt look like there is an opening for a winch system. I am looking for something to protect my entire front including my lights when I go crashing through the brush.

Shoot Straight!
Ranger

Old 09-07-1999, 10:36 PM
Trailblazer

yes the vamps are that much better in the gooy stuff and snow they turn a little harder but not much and if ya think its easy to break a headlight its not they are pretty tough.

Mike Bencivengo

------------------
99 Grizzly , Vamped & Liffed

Ride safe today,because to ride again tomorrow is Righteous!!!!

Old 09-09-1999, 06:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Haven't had experience with Vamps - only heard that they usually measure bigger and clean themselves easier.

ATV armor? My '96 Big Bear came with a full skid plate. I added hand guards made for a motorcycle (it took a LITTLE modifying). So, I don't know of anyone who sells full skid plates - but I'm sure they're out there. For front end, I'd have to go with the Ox-Lite Brute (or, something like that). They're recommended by several riders. Also, don't forget cv joint/A-arm guards. I believe Ox-Lite makes those, too.

Around here, we usually bash up and re-straighten our stock bumpers. Also, gotta friend who makes his own A-arm/cv joint guards.

I find that in this world, it takes a lot of experience from mistakes made before you truly find what you want/need.

------------------
William Hayes

'96 Yamaha Big Bear SE

Old 09-14-1999, 07:07 PM
Pro Rider

I have a lift and vampires and they are awesome in mud. Also you asked about a skid plate.Go to a DOT sign shop and ask if you can have some aluminum signs. I got some free and after cuttin them to fit they have worked great.(remember to cut a hole for the oil drain)

[This message has been edited by BIGBEAR4x4 (edited 09-14-1999).]

Old 09-15-1999, 12:19 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks everyone for all the good information! I really appreciate it.

Shoot Straight,
Ranger

Old 07-12-2005, 12:36 PM
Pro Rider
Default Big Wheel/Lift Kits

OP,,,,there are a couple differant folks that sell ALL armor for the grizz on ebay,,,,,,,,front,rear,center bashplates,front and rear CVC guards,either in diamond plate or brushed aluminum