Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Second gear took a dump on my Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2001, 02:49 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

has anyone else had a problem with there second gear going out on them?

i've been posting my tranny (second gear)problem on the bluetrax website for awhile now. it failed on my while i was out on the sand dunes. it started out as very suttle problem at first then after a day of ridin with just started grinding second gear. anyhow below is a copy of what i posted on bluetrax. i try so see if they'll repost the orginal thread on the suject. thanks for any help

""hey guys, i know u two have been following my troubles my my 2 gear that busted on me. i took my Raptor in to the dealership two weeks ago for repairs on my bike. the service manager called and told me that he had a Yamaha rep. come out and look it, the rep. said " it looked like it was user error, a miss shift, theres no way this would be covered under warrenty ". anyhow the service manager went on to say he'd "step on some toes " and see what he could do and that he'd get back to me. so now i have to arm myself with other people's repair work orders that have had there 2nd gear bust on them. i allready gotten a fax from Swytak with his repair order for the tranny 2nd gear problem he had with his Raptor. so now im asking for help, i need other people's repair work orders that had this type of repair. the dealer told me im looking at $1,300 in repairs. there no way im gonna pay that kinda money with out a fight. my next step is to present the dealership with theses repair work orders from all over the country and Yamaha motors with a letter to see if i could get them to pay for the repairs. i don't think it would be good for the company to get bad press on a web site such as this with all the traffic Bluetrax, ATVconnection gets. i need to build my case against them. it seems that a first year $6,500 msrp Raptor would be built a little better as far as the tranny goes, im not knocking the bike, if it wasn't for the tranny problem, i'd still do it all over again and buy the bike or wait for the 2002 model. i know Yamaha motors have been in the business for along time now and there engineers are the only people that truly know the real answer to the tranny problem. to bad we don't have a Yamaha insider that could assist us in this matter?

i also asked the service manager if it would be possiable to upgrade the gears with the 2002 Raptors gears since i wouldn't wanna repair it with the weaker gears in the 2001 model, he said told me he'd look into it. i'll keep everyone posted on what happens. i didn't mean to open up a can of worms for all Raptor owners, but the hell if im gonna pay that repair bill. just my 2 cents.

if anyone has any repair work orders or info they could fax or email me, that would help alot, just email me offline eman40000@yahoo.com

p.s.
Screamin96, could u please repost my orginal post so that people could read the orignal thread, thanks. it was called " Second gear on my Raptor took a dump on me this weekend "

late.""

Old 08-29-2001, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

I have had this same prolem twice, mine didnt give any warning thou it just stoped while in secound. This last time sounds almost carbonfiber copy of what they told you. They also said this wasnt a comon problem, but yet there a few parts on backorder this time. A friend of mine saw a new Grizzly at the ATV pulls that broke the tranny and couldnt move after, Im not real sure if they used the same transmision when they used the 660 in the grissly or not but seems awfull coincidental!!

Old 08-29-2001, 05:07 PM
Pro Rider

I have had this same problem twice, mine didnt give any warning thou it just stoped while in secound. This last time sounds almost carbonfiber copy of what they told you. They also said this wasn't a comon problem, but yet there a few parts on backorder this time. A friend of mine saw a new Grizzly at the ATV pulls that broke the tranny and couldnt move after, I'm not real sure if they used the same transmision when they used the 660 in the grissly or not but seems awfull coincidental!!

Old 08-29-2001, 05:52 PM
Range Rover

hey 2strokeDiehard

would u please so me the favor of faxing me a copy of the repair work order to me. email me offline and i'll give u my fax number, that would help me out alot, i allready wrote a letter to the president of Yamaha Motors on this issue. did u have to pay for the repairs on your Raptor both times?

thanks

Old 08-29-2001, 06:02 PM
Range Rover

below is a copy i took from the other Yamaha user web site Bluetrax

as of today there is about 5 complaint filed and sent to the President of Yamaha Motors on the raptor

""I remember reading this awhile ago and thought this would help out your cause. Guys, us Raptor owners need your help big time. I found this site that forwards all your complaints to the President of Yamaha Motor Corporation. Here is what you need to do...

1st... click this link http://www.zwire.com/site/news.asp?b...;nav_sec=42774

2nd... Where is says I want to , click on the question one.

3rd... Type in Yamaha

4th... IT'll take you to the next page, there u will scroll down to #2 and put in either Safety or Reliability. Click continue.

5th... Fill out the questions there, NOTE: you do not need a password.

6th.... In the box, ask them if they are gonna adress the tranny problems with the 2001 Raptors, such as having a recall. or something like that. Click continue

7th... Look at the letter and see if everything looks right, if so, click continue or send, and your done.

I think that I speak for all the Raptor owners in here when I say that if you took the time to send the question in, then we really do thank you. If you guys ever need a favor such as this, then we will do the same to help all you other owners out there!""

Old 08-29-2001, 06:35 PM
Range Rover

below is the orignal post from the blutrax web site, i copied and pasted for all Raptor owners on this site. please help out if u can with repair work orders so i may build my case, i'll keep everyone updated on how this turns out, thanks. email me offline and i'll give u my fax number, or scan it and email it to me eman40000@yahoo.com

<<anyone else had a problem with there 2001 Raptor second gear? i took mine to the sand dunes over the weekend and rode all weekend, i noticed second gear acting up, on saturday, i thought nothing of it, even spanked a brand new banshee, that was fun. anyways sunday i started it up, and that's when i noticed second gear sounds awfull, sounds very messed up, it's only that gear, all other gears are working fine, the raptor only has 20 hours on the motor. anyhow im gonna be takin it in to the stealership this week

Dement1
Rookie

(8/6/01 11:59:12 am)
Reply Re: Second gear on my Raptor took a dump on me this weekend
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You say you were in sand maybe you got sand grinding the gears? Hell with only 20 hours on it I would left the dealership take a look/ Never know could be warrenty work.

TruBlu
Jr Member

(8/6/01 11:48:29 pm)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
20 hrs!!! THAT is pathetic for the tranny to cut loose that soon!
One question:
Is it a Cali raptor??? A true California VIN

If so, then you win the GRAND PRIZE!!! This would be the FIRST california raptor to blow a tranny that I have heard of!! Maybe there are others, but I have been silently monitoring the reports over the last few months and there have been NO verified CA raptor tranny problem...yet. So if this is true, it has opened a whole new can 'o worms and you have definitely ruined my night. I figured all us suckers w/ the ANEMIC raptors were at least safe from that plague.

PS Why am i a JR member?? hell, i had over 140 posts last i checked???!!!!!! i worked SO HARD to make SR member. it sucks to be demoted !!!

2001 YZ-250F (Sweeeet)
2001 Warrior
2001 Raptor blue, Graydon aluminum airbox w/ 250R filter & outerwears cover,WB E-series on FMF powerbomb header w/ 165/160 mains, Renthals (CR high), Lonestar 2+1 chrome A-arms, Works triple-rate front shocks w/ res, Fastline brake lines, GYT-R shockcovers, GYT-R front bumper, A-arm skids, GYTR full frame skid, 3+ chrome Lonestar Swingarm, Lonestar chrome axcaliber 4+ axle (nice), Alba graphics/seat, steel braided water/oil hoses, 12 tooth counter, GYTR carbon fiber light covers, Graydon black net nerfs, GYTR heel guards, powdercoated frame and NO MONEY left for gas... WASSUPPP!!!!

Edited by: TruBlu at: 8/6/01 11:50:37 pm

Screamin96
Bluetrax Founder

(8/7/01 2:50:57 am)
At 150 you become a Sr member.
Mike/§©®ëÅ^^Ïñ96
Bluetrax pimpus maximus
96 Banshee ~38.3 whp~
89 Warrior
My pic pages

mrtrdrvr
Sr Member

(8/7/01 8:31:32 am)
C'mon Screamin make Trublu a Sr. Member , he's a worthy addition to the family!

Posidus660R
Jr Member

(8/7/01 9:29:51 am)
WO I NEVER HAVE A PROBLEM LIKE THAT. OOPS SORRY ABOU CAPS. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

2001 Yamaha Raptor,Dmc Alien Exhaust System, Dyno-jet Stage2 Kit, No Airbox, 12 front sproket.

TruBlu
Jr Member

(8/7/01 12:08:22 pm)
ya! come onnnnnn.... screamin! dude, i KNOW i was a SR member, once. To celebrate that momentous occasion, i got lucky w/ my...(forget it)

anyway, listen screamin. Check your logs. I am POSITIVE that some feind STOLE some of my posts. that has to be the answer. probably some red rider or EX boarder. ya never can trust those guyz. i don't like to complain, but stolen posts have got to be the answer
check it. out.

eman40000
Rookie

(8/7/01 12:35:37 pm)
Reply | Edit Re: Second gear on my Raptor took a dump on me this weekend
true blue,

it is in fact a california raptor, bought it three months ago in Los Angeles. i'll have to get back to u on that vin number tho. i talked to the dealership where i bought it and they told me they haven't had any problems with any of them they have sold. im gonna be calling Yamaha Motors today to see what they have to say on that matter. u made a good point on how to approach them, by asking them why the sudden change on the tranny in one year, i'll keep u posted on what happens. if worse comes to worse, i'll just bite the bullet and pay for the repairs, but not with out a fight. im gonna wait a couple of days before i take it into the dealership. would u please keep me posted if u find out anything on this tranny problem, my email is eman40000@yahoo.com

thanks bro

bobo
Jr Member

(8/7/01 12:59:36 pm)
Eman, you should have no problem getting this done as warranty as long as your dealer is decent. This is also the first Cali Raptor that I have heard of with this problem, and my dealer, Mission Yamaha, has not had any with the problem. Make sure you check the vin, I know there were some Cali dealers buying grey market Raptors because they couldn't get them from the factory. Good luck!
2001 Blue Raptor, CT Racing Pipe w/ProFlow filter, GYTR chassis and swingarm skid, DID Gold chain, GYTR front grab bar, DG nerfs, Douglas beadlocks w/Razrs....more to come

eman40000
Rookie

(8/7/01 1:08:17 pm)
bobo,

yeah i can't wait to see how the conversation is gonna go at the dealership when i ask them if this is covered under warranty. i bought mine at Bert's megamall in Covina. the problem was very minor at first then all hell broke lose.

bobo
Jr Member

(8/7/01 1:14:33 pm)
I don't know how Berts will handle it. Sometimes those real big shops will just run you in circles. I have bought some parts from them that is about it.
2001 Blue Raptor, CT Racing Pipe w/ProFlow filter, GYTR chassis and swingarm skid, DID Gold chain, GYTR front grab bar, DG nerfs, Douglas beadlocks w/Razrs....more to come

TruBlu
Jr Member

(8/7/01 4:08:43 pm)
yes, please check the vin !!! i really think this is a critical issue because IF this is a true cali model, then my whole theory gets blown out the window.
it is true that dealers will swap w/ each other liberally. My dealership does routinely. it IS possible that the so cal dealership traded and somehow ended up w/ a 49 stater. please, please check it out.

in terms of repair, most dealers are quitely standing behind the product and covering the cost. it's hard for them, because yamaha has not yet admitted to a SIGNIFICANT problem. yamaha, i'm almost sure, will stand behind the dealership in terms of cost of repairs. they will just do it quietly. let us know how it goes. DON'T you dare pay one red cent for the repair. there are alot of us out here that will raise holy hell if that dealer/yamaha doesn't do you right.
later.

Kill Bot
Rookie

(8/7/01 5:26:29 pm)
Reply reply
My dealer denies anything wrong about the transmission with a Raptor so good luck.

eman40000
Rookie

(8/7/01 9:01:33 pm)
true blue,

i just found what i belive to be the VIN number stamped on the frame for my raptor. im not sure if the " O " are zero's or the letter O, but here goes

JY4AMO1Y01Y1COO1998

hope this helps

TruBlu
Jr Member

(8/7/01 10:19:12 pm)
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!
The critical digit is the 7th place from the end. The "C" digit, I believe DOES indicate a California VIN. very very very OUCH!

I'm at work, so i cannot look this up to be 100% certain, but i'm fairly sure about it.
Please, let's have somebody else confirms this VIN. I won't get home until tomorrow. This is a major bummer...

late.

Joey900RR
Rookie

(8/7/01 10:38:56 pm)
Yes, but the VIN# is very low just under the 2000th Raptor made (001998) ??? Mine is also low A002785 but I haven't had any problems except the clutch overheating. I live in NJ so mine is a 49-state Raptor. Later

Edited by: Joey900RR at: 8/7/01 10:40:46 pm

bobo
Jr Member

(8/8/01 11:13:22 am)
Yes, the C does indicate that this is a Cali Raptor. This is news that I didn't really want to hear either. Eman, when they let you know what let go please tell us.

eman40000
Rookie

(8/8/01 2:04:55 pm)
i just got off the phone with Yamaha Motors, i talked to them, asked them if anyone else reported problems with the tranny, he said he personally didn't know of any, needless to say he went on to tell me to bring it in for service, and if in fact there is a defect in the tranny it would be covered under the standard 6 month warranty.

i was thinking any dealer u drop it off at might ask for a service fee just to look at it, i talked to him about that, he said he'd call my dealer and tell them not to charge for for dropping it off, i thought that was pretty cool. he also said that if in fact the tranny show signs of user error that the dealer would have to charge me for tearing it down, that sounds fair enough. either way the bike gonna ger fixed if it's covered or not. i'll just have to wait and find out, im gonna be dropping it off tomorrow

late

Joey900RR
Rookie

(8/8/01 2:58:14 pm)
Eman,
Just don't take any sh@t from them. If you only bought it 3-months ago there is noway that they can't cover it unless you put a hammer through the case or something.
What I'm trying to say is as long as there is no serious physical damage there is no way that they can charge you to fix it. Later

Swytak
Jr Member

(8/8/01 4:09:49 pm)
TruBlu,

I hate to put your theory down but, I spoke to Allen at CT Racing some time ago and he mentioned that he replaced his tranny twice in the same Raptor and once in another. I had this conversation with him over 3 months ago!

CT is located in Cali, right? If so, well? What's the new theory?

My dealer has had several in for tranny problems, including mine! Other dealers in my area have also had Raptor tranny issues but, all of these are in NW Indiana.

eman40000
Rookie

(8/8/01 4:31:56 pm)
swytak,

how much was the repairs on your Raptor? did u go with the same factory replacment part or aftermarket? did u get to see the broken gear(s) or parts after they slip the case? just wondering.

TruBlu
Jr Member

(8/8/01 4:34:45 pm)
Yes, I spoke w/ Allen as well.
However, he indicated that those bikes were some of the very FIRST raptors available and he said he was testing them and racing them before most west coast people had even seen a raptor. THis raised my suspicion as to whether Allen had gotten his hands on 49 staters. I'm sure CT racing wouldn't have to wait around... they do field a race team after all.
Irregardless, now we do seem to have the FIRST credible report of a Cali raptor w/ the 2nd gear bug. Boo hoo...

Swytek, BTW... i still haven't decided whom to send the engine to. I'm waiting 'till after Sandfest 2001 up in the Oregon dunes. It's down to LRD ($2000 OOOUUCHHHH ) and trinity. I like LRD's reputation, but I don't like their price. They do however, modify the flywheel. Is everything OK with your machine and the Trinity stage 4 work, so far? Did you consider LRD?

out.

eman40000
Rookie

(8/8/01 4:44:47 pm)
trublu,

do u know the part names go out on the tranny and any possible aftermaket replacement parts that could be used it's place. i figured if the dealer is not gonna honer the warranty, im not going pay to replace it with oem parts.

after all is said and done about the tranny issue, i still love that raptor, u should have seen the guy's face i raced at the Cartamar, Mexico sand dunes when i spanked him with my bone stock Raptor against his brand new blue banshee, aww what a sight.

late

Edited by: eman40000 at: 8/8/01 4:45:59 pm

TruBlu
Sr Member

(8/8/01 5:00:45 pm)
No i don't, but i seriously doubt if anybody has aftermarket tranny stuff for the raptor. Stay OEM right now.
But this is what you do...

rivayamaha.com and bikebandit.com are the two large mailorder shops and have raptor MICROFICHE ON-line w/ the part numbers, names, exploded views AND COST!!!!! you can usually order ANY raptor part by a point and click on-line for much cheaper than your dealer. So when the work is done or being done, compare the REAL OEM price of the part to what your dealer is charging. It could give you some leverage, as your dealer will know he is dealing w/ somebody serious. Labor charges are something else. No matter, yamaha should be picking up the entire tab. Keep us posted!

Swytak
Jr Member

(8/8/01 5:58:33 pm)
emann,

Yes I did get to see the broken part, it was the toothed washer that actually broke. When it broke it also took out a couple of gears and dogs.

It cost me nothing, I was out of warranty by 2 weeks but, I have a very good relationship with the head mech at my dealer. The b!tch at Yamaha customer service, that everyone talks about, only wanted to "goodwill" the parts and have me pay for the labor but, the mech took it upon himself to go over her head. When going over her head he spoke to a guy named Larry. My mech explained the situation that he didn't think the tranny problem I had, was caused due to abuse but, a malfuction. Therefore, this Larry guy told him don't worry about and tell your customer (me), that he would pay for all the parts and labor. Shoot, I even got a new front sprocket out of the deal!

Pretty cool of my dealer.

I have preached to everyone I speak with, that making friends with a mech at the dealer you plan to use, has benefits. I didn't know this mech at all before I got my Raptor, I would just stop in and ask if he had seen any problems with them on occasion. Saved me about $1200.-, ouch!

If you would like, I would be more then happy to fax you a copy of the items that were replaced in my tranny.

Let me know!

Take care,
Swy

Swytak
Jr Member

(8/8/01 6:09:13 pm)
TruBlu,

The Trinity 680 kit is still rockin and is even more potent since breakin and the addition of the Graydon airbox (alot more air). Everything works great and I am extremely pleased!

I have had a Sparks stainless full exhaust on order now for about approx 4 weeks now. This should prove to let her breathe even better and I can tell you, I can't freakin wait!

Now, I'm working on the handling. I've had the Elka triple rate, remote res, comp adj and SSD for several weeks. They too, perform above my expectations. Looking at +2, +1f a-arms and +4 axle now.

I'm hoping to get this pipe soon, as I have a dyno test set-up for the 25th. If I don't get the pipe in time, I'll have to back the date out a bit. A whole swarm of individual, including myself, are looking forward to seeing the dyno graph with HP #'s and torque graph. I'll be sure to post as soon I get it tested.

eman40000
Rookie

(8/8/01 6:18:30 pm)
swytak,

that would be great to have a print of the repairs handy when i do battle with my stealership/ and Yamaha Motors. i have a feeling im gonna be having to call them a few times. the person i spoke with at yamaha motor was scott. it's great having a message board like to to do your homework before $hit hit the fan

could be please email me offline so i can give u my fax number. thanks

eman40000@yahoo.com

Swytak
Jr Member

(8/8/01 6:38:49 pm)
On it's way!

eman40000
Rookie

(8/13/01 3:11:13 pm)
finally dropped off the Raptor on friday at the dealership 8.10.01. there gonna split the tranny case open sometime this week i hope, and find out what happened to second gear. i was reading someones post that second and reverse are the same gear, i didn't have problems using reverse, but second is totally wasted. i'll try to take some pictures of the it and post it for all Raptor owners. whatever the outcome of this tranny problem is weather they repair it under warrenty or not, im gonna have it fixed but the point being is that after all is said and done i still like the bike but now im leaning towards thinking that tranny is " soft " a lil disapointing to say the least. will see how it turns out tho. my $0.02

late

Old 08-29-2001, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer

what is the address of the blutrax site? I used to have but lost it with my last computer.
Thanks!

Old 08-30-2001, 12:48 PM
Range Rover

b l u e t r a x x .com or http://pub33.ezboard.com/byamaquad

it's the same addy with no spaces

look up the Raptor Tranny issue for your self