Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

2000 Kodiak Reliability??????

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2001, 01:20 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep reading in this forum about how the brakes as well as the water pump on the 2000 Kodiaks are no good. Some say the rear brake pads barely last 100 miles. What's the deal with this? I bought a new 2000 towards the end of last year. Although I haven't used it much, what am I to expect in the future??? I'm really not sure how many miles I've put on it because the 2000's don't have the speedo/odo. Anyhow, however many it is, it's very few. From what I've been reading so far, sounds like I made a poor choice. Will the standard warranty cover any of this even though that 6 month period is over? Sounds like this is grounds for being defective. Why would Yamaha put out something that's been so poorly tested for durability????? If all this is true, it's the last Yamaha I'll ever buy.......

Old 09-01-2001, 12:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

I and my son have put well over 1,000 miles on both my 2000 Kodiaks and the brakes are fine. I read these horror stories about brake wear so I take the brake pads off expecting the worst... there's nothing wrong with them! We're just regular trail riders not mudders or water dogs, maybe that makes the difference. I have not had one other problem with either of them.

Go figure!

Old 09-01-2001, 11:16 PM
Range Rover

My rear brake needed replaced after the first 500mi, and I ride through 1 or 2 foot deep mud all the time. No problems with the water pump or anything else after about 1500mi. I'd buy it all over again. Quit worrying about your Kodiak's quality and enjoy it [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] . Spraying out the brake area when your done riding in mud will help preserve the brake pads, but they're cheap and easy to replace so I don't consider this to be a big issue. By the way, I ordered a Yamaha speedo kit which is identical to the one on the 2001s for about $90 and installed it myself (see my photos below).

Old 09-02-2001, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

Don't worry about your Kodiak since it is incredibly reliable. Yes, the water pump in the 2000 Kodiak is considered a defective design by those who ride in lots of muddy water but it is easily replaced with the updated version for $130. You could just replace one part of it for under $50 if you are mechanically inclined and have the tools. Yamaha did modify the design when they recognized the problem.

The rear brake pads wearing are more the result of riding in lots of mud. It takes about 20 minutes to replace the rear brake pads and they cost about $20.00. For those who ride in lots of mud, you should also buy a new rear rotor that has a harder metal than the factory one. You will notice a big improvement in brake pad life.

Neither of these issues is reason to think you made a bad decision.

Old 09-02-2001, 11:51 AM
Trailblazer

Hey guys,

Thanks for your replies and your input. I guess that makes me feel somewhat better. I like the machine so far, but those issues were just bugging me. I can say this, I wish someone would come out with some mud guards for the Kodiak. I called Highlifter, and they said no one makes anything. I have 27" Blackwaters on mine and they stick out way past the fenders in the front and rear. Everytime you get in any kind of mud you end up covered. I'd prefer to leave the mud in the woods.