Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

New Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2001, 04:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought a new 2001 raptor today and love it. Its the best handleing quad i have
ever rode on and is fast as hell. I was wondering if there are any tips on tuning for high elevation...good mods for it....good things to get for it...being a newbie at this...im not sure on what to get. Also...if anyone has any tips or tricks for riding please let me know... Im pretty good at riding i can do alot of tricks on my honda 200 type II but this is a whole new experice i will have to learn. Thanx

Old 09-03-2001, 02:45 AM
Pro Rider

If you purchased it from the dealer ship they should have jetted it for you. btu he is s suggestion some people use

jet it good for around 6,000 feet
drill a few hole in the air box cover and plug w/ a easy to remove subastance.
at about 10,000 feet you can un plug the holes and it will have more power up high. then plug back up down low.

Also, be sure to have many spark plugs and main jets ready to use.

-My warrior ran great at all elevations around almont with a 130 main jet in it- (no holes) it is a 34mm mikuni carb. i dunno what the raptor is.

For riding up in th mountians, gearing it lower will help a lot. Also get a white brother pro Meg pipe. trust me. it does good up there.

Old 09-03-2001, 03:16 AM
Weekend Warrior

thanx man..and what is jetting? how long does it take? and what will it do? give me more power? sorry im new at racing quads

Old 09-03-2001, 09:35 AM
Pro Rider

uumm best handling?ur kidding right?it sucks in handling until my raptor got lower and wider it sucked

Old 09-03-2001, 12:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mtx1raptor is right.I got a chance to ride a stock 400EX and a stock Raptor and I would prefer the Raptor. just lettin ya know!

Old 09-03-2001, 01:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

compared to the honda 200 type II that i had before i got my raptor...ya this raptor does handle very good compared to it...im new so i havent ridden any other bikes but this one i enjoy

Old 09-03-2001, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider

Welcome newby! hehe... The best mods for the Raptor would be the following: Add a pipe, new air filter system like a pro-flow, 12 tooth sprocket if you want better low speed trail riding power(takes a few MPH off the top though), nerf bars are a must, LSR +4 axle for stability and strength, tether/kill switch and invert the rear shock linkage for a lower seat height without giving up ground clearance. Thats what I would suggest...

Later on, a set of Holeshots or Razrs would improve the ride also.

Old 09-05-2001, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

Hey Brian, I haven't seen you over in the Polaris forum lately, been spending too much time with the Yamaha guys, ehh ??
Did you ever get the mid range sorted out on the Scrambler?
Tell Zorro I got the REAL two cylinder Quad not some chainsaw on steroids... LOL It may not jump really well, but it'll drag that banshee around without cracking a sweat ...

Old 09-05-2001, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

Hi Capt, I tried just about everything possible so I made the big decision: At the end of this week the Scrambler is getting picked up and delivered to HPDs' doorstep. It's already on a skid ready to go. They will do everything and send it back to me in perfect working order. (I hope) Sure, it is costing me over a grand in transport but it's better than it sitting in the garage another 6 months! I do miss riding the ol' tank...

Don't worry, I still go to the Polaris forum on a regular basis but don't post as much as I used to. I guess I dont have as many questions as I used to... hehe...

Old 09-05-2001, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Jetting is tuning your carburator to have the proper Air/Gas Ratio. This is a very important part especially when you add parts that increase air or gas flow, ie Air-filter, holes in your airbox, exhaust, etc. Bad Jetting can burn up your engine or foul your plugs, don't do it yourself. It doesn't take that long after the first couple missed tries(lol!!)maybe 45 minutes.

Quick Reply: New Raptor