Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Warrior/Wolverine?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-1999, 07:27 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have lots of questions and a few opinions on my pending quad purchase. I have narrowed it down to the Wolverine, Warrior, and the Honda 400EX. I know they aren't all really in the same class. First let me explain my needs. I plan to ride on trails, mud, a little snow, some rocks, an occasional stream and in the woods in southeastern PA, maybe an occasional trip up to the Poconos. I owned an ATC years ago and I am getting back into it. I was first drawn to the Wolverine, which is without a doubt a great quad. I drove my friends new one and was impressed however, within 10 minutes I felt pretty comfortable and safe on it, it seems like I might get a little bored with that. Another thing I noticed, trying to turn at low speed in tight quarters is difficult, the quad doesn't seem to want to turn, I guess that is a four wheel drive thing. I don't want anything heavier than 500 pounds, a want to be able to have fun and do some jumps and feel the rush of extreme acceleration once in a while. So, it sounds like I am already leaning to the sport quads but, I am really concerned about the low ground clearance, should I be? What about if I want to cruise around around in a foot of snow, am I gonna be kicking myself for buying a low ground clearance 2 wheel drive quad? Also, chain drive, is that much of a hastle? I was thinking, I could throw on some bigger meaner tires and gain more traction and a little more grounf clearance and still be faster than a Wolverine, anybody out there punishing their sports bike in deep mud and snow? How about an occasional mountain climbing trip, will the sports be a pain in the butt? Ok, as if I havn't alreadt asked enough questions, I have been discussing whether to get the wolverine or a sport quad, say the sport bike is the way to go. What do you think is a better bet, the warrior or the 400ex. The 400ex is certainly faster, a little more money, and doesn't have reverse. The warrior is a bit cheaper easier to find. Both Honda and Yamaha have good reputations. Is the 400ex the way to go? A lot of people like them, am I gonna be picking up my quad a lot of rough trails or can the 400ex handle some rough stuff. I appreciate any answers to my many questions, thanks!

Old 10-09-1999, 03:02 AM
Trailblazer

looks like you a scrambler 4x4 would suite you fine... 4x4, and what a blast...

Old 10-09-1999, 01:23 PM
Weekend Warrior

A 2 wheel drive quad is definatly faster than a wolverine but the thing I always wondered is can you use all that speed. I have riden in PA and I feel a wolverine is well suited for the terrain there, maybe im a wimp but it seems rare to ever find trails that I can run my wolverine wide open.If I was gonna take the 2 wheel drive route I would go with a 400ex only because I feel the warrior is outdated. And you can always modify the wolverine down the road for more speed too.

Old 10-14-1999, 04:14 PM
Weekend Warrior

Forget the two wheel drive ATV's unless you live in open terrain or just run sand pits and such. I love my Wolverine and it climbs in and out of most any situation. Get a whinch also, they really let you go places you might otherwise bypass. While it may not have Earth shaking speed of a two stroke, it will still cover ground quite quickly. Besides, 4X4's just don't stop when things get really interesting, They bulldoze onward.

Now go get up to your eyeballs in mud.

Old 10-14-1999, 10:46 PM
Pro Rider

Have you looked at the new Y2K Kodiak? There you have speed, 2x4 OR 4x4, disk brakes, and many rag reviews says the new water cooled motor and suspension is actually better than the wolverine all around.

check it out.

Heapster
400cc wicked warrior

Old 10-17-1999, 09:08 PM
Range Rover

I have a wolverine and it jumps great has desent speed great for a 4x4 they can go through tons of stuff which the other 2 wheel drive quads cant, and also another thing that i love about it is i can ride major wheelies on it. thats not good for the clutch but it will surly do it. It has full skids and supertrapp pipe which isnt the best in power increase but it sounds great. riding polaris's is not nearly as much fun as the yamaha wolverine. you will be happy with it. the steering is good for a 4x4 brakes are great. plus many companys make aftermarket parts if its not fast enough or the suspinsion isnt good enough for you. buy it

Old 10-21-1999, 01:41 PM
Pro Rider

My brother has a 1999 Kawasaki Mojave and he runs it through deep mud and snow and his Mojave does fine. I am not saying it doesn't get stuck occasionally but he will always put his Mojave to the test. And another there is no such thing as a perfect quad every quad has a downfall

[This message has been edited by 1BadWarrior (edited 10-21-1999).]