Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Grizzly: good buy or not?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-1999, 10:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's the deal: I am looking for an ATV that will be fun to ride, but also able to pull smaller logs, boats, push dirt, and other general utility stuff. Question is, would the Grizzly work here? I was also looking at the Honda 450s, but am concerned that it doesn't have the capacity of the grizzly. Also, I looked at the Polaris 500 sportsman, but it seems to have a high maintenance schedule, also users have reported lots (it seems to me) of problems. My price is about the same: 5895 for the grizz, 5750 for the sportsman, and 5595 for the honda.

What do y'all think?

Thanks!

Old 10-14-1999, 10:58 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Surely, b-jens, you're not asking us Forum participants to vote on YOUR quad!

Any of your three candidates you mention appears capable for the tasks and service you want; you obviously performed research on them from your comments.

Which do YOU like best?

In my view, your post will attract responses from readers justifying THEIR choices; only you can justify your own.

Good luck; I don't believe you can make a bad decision from the options you list, except: not buying any ATV at all!

Tree Farmer

Old 10-14-1999, 11:57 AM
Range Rover

I own a 99 Grizzly and a 2000 Foreman 450ES and I would take the Foreman over the Grizzly any day. I was going to sell my Grizzly and get another Foreman (my wife currently rides the Honda and I ride the Grizzly) but now I have decided to hold out until the new Honda Rubicon comes out in May. As for why I like the Foreman over the Grizzly. I like having gears, the Grizzly feels like it loses a lot of it's power through the belt drive and you have to rev it up quite a bit to get it going. I've gone through two sets of pads and shoes on the Grizzly and it has less than 500 miles on it. The back brakes don't stay sealed. I'm on my third throttle cable on the Grizzly. The cable is so close to the exhaust that it heats the plastic/rubber liner inside of the cable where it becomes deformed and the cable begins to stick.

Overall the Foreman is more versatile. It is quick and nimble but has plenty of low end torque. The Foreman doesn't feel big and heavy like the Grizzly and it always does better in the mud. Any time I get stuck on my Grizzly, I get on the Honda and try it and I usually make it without a Glitch. (Both the Foreman and Grizzly are lifted and have 27" Vampires.)Honda reliablity is second to none! My 97 300 4x4 has been to hell and back and still runs great and has never left me stranded.

These are all just my personal preferences, I know there are a lot of people that love their Grizzly's, but mine has left me stranded too many times. As for the Polaris, I don't have any riding experience on one, but we have a saying where I ride: The Polaris will always be the first to make it through a mudhole, but will also be the first to break down on the other side. No offense Polaris guys, you're the ones that usually have to pull me out!

Good Luck on your decision,
Chris

Old 10-14-1999, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer

Inappropriate post deleted.

[This message has been edited by atvbbs (edited 10-15-1999).]

Old 10-14-1999, 09:55 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 99 Grizz. I think that Yamahonda is pushing it when he says that a foreman will do better than the Grizz in the mud . Never seen it yet. Mine is 600 miles and I had to put one set of rear shoe, pads are still perfect . I suppose , It depends on driving. I do love my Grizzly , yes it does run hot it is hard on gas but there is certainly not lack of power. Charlie

Old 10-14-1999, 09:57 PM
Pro Rider

Check out the Arctic Cat 500 and the Arctic Cat 500 Automatic. They Have more rack capacity than any other atv. It has more torque than anyother Utility atv. It runs cooler than a Grizzly (i.e. Water cooled).

What do you do most with your atv, work or play?
What type of terain do you ride in?

Arctic Cat 500, For when you need a real quad

Old 10-15-1999, 04:55 PM
Trailblazer

Boner, the Cat may have some pluses, but....it has got to be the most butt ugly machine on the market! Don't say it aint! TF

Old 10-15-1999, 11:42 PM
Range Rover

Yes, the Grizz is a fine choice.
My 98 with 1500 problem free miles,
has been and is nothing short of 5-Star.
and that is hauling my 310+#'s around.
Up until 800 miles it did have a fuel
consumption problem, and would hesitate some
after 47 M.P.H.(on speedometer).
Currently though her Gas milage is as good as
any 500's, as for her power? that was never
in Question but she's running much Stronger.

A good buy
I would say so

Have a Great Day
Y2K.

Old 10-16-1999, 01:16 AM
Pro Rider

The very idea of being stuck in 4wd all the time with the Honda 450ES turns me off. I enjoy slipping and sliding in 2wd on my Grizzly, which the Honda could never do.

Old 10-16-1999, 02:48 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, it is very ugly, But nothing is perfect.

If you want to make it look better put the Arctic Cat 400's front bumper on it.

Arctic Cat 500, If you want a pretty quad, get a "Power Wheels"

Quick Reply: Grizzly: good buy or not?