Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

How long for these broken ribs to heal?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2001, 12:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went rolling around with my Warrior on Sunday. Man, that hurt. The quad suffered a blown rear tire and I suffered a couple of broken ribs. We have a company here where I ride that makes peat moss. The huge piles of peat moss is beautiful hillclimbing area. I love doing the piles of moss. This time on the downside I caught a soft spot and the Warrior tossed me. I thought I was in the clear until a half second later the quad landed on top on top of me. That's the part that sucks. The quad made out ok. Only the blown rear tire from the sideways tumble down the hill. The headlight protector bar is bent a little too. I'm still to sore to bend it back. How long will these ribs hurt. Just breathing is a job right now.

Old 09-13-2001, 01:05 AM
Pro Rider

A couple of years ago I injured my ribs (not on a quad). The Dr. didn't even want to take an x-ray, because he said there was nothing he could do either way. He said "if it stops hurting in a week or two, they're bruised; if it stops hurting in six weeks, they're broken."
Six weeks later, the pain was pretty much gone.
It does get easier to breath before that though.

Old 09-13-2001, 01:19 AM
Pro Rider

I rammed my chest into my TAG's about a month and a half ago. I bent the bars, luckily I had a chest protector (I DIDN't CRASH!!! and I finished the race!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ). I think I did break a rib because when I worked in the local emergency room a few years back, the doctors would say something similar. (bruised or broken, nothing they can do anyway) I still have sharp lump sticking out below my clavicle. I am pretty sure I broke a rib or something in there cuz it hurt to breath for over a month. And pretty much could not use my left arm for about a week.

Old 09-13-2001, 01:52 AM
Pro Rider

I do a lot of weight lifting, and unfortunately broke 3 ribs, cracked 2 others. I was not able to lift again for over 3 months if I remember right, it was just terrible pain to even attempt it. Don't be surprised if you're still aching in 6 weeks or more. I've broke nearly every bone in my body, including two vertebrae in my back, and I can honestly say that the ribs are the worst to injure. Even simple breathing causes pain with severly broken ribs.

Load up on the vitamins though, take lots of calcium, zink, magnessium, potassium and phosphorus. C, D and E are good as well, and milk of course. This sounds funny, but after lifting like I do, and breaking so many bones, I've found that a good diet, and tons of vitamins and minerals will help you heal up in no time. Unfortunately I broke my ribs before I realized this, so they took longer to heal. Take it easy for a week or two, load up on the vit/minerals and the bones will fuse back together pretty quickly. The pain won't be near as bad either, and I'm sure you'll be out riding again in weeks, rather than the 3 months it took me to get back to lifting hard again.

Best of Luck, glad you weren't hurt any worse than that,

Mike

Old 09-13-2001, 02:24 AM
Trailblazer

I fall of my Raptor all the time. After a day of hard riding and soreness. I find Beer relieves my pain.