Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

wolverine:rear axle seal wear on axle

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-1999, 12:30 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone everhad to have the rear-end gone through due to the outer rear axle seal wearing a groove into the axle. I had to have the axle machined and a sleeve put onto get the tolerances back to normal. And i've also noticed another problem when riding in weedy ,grassy areas with lots of small seeds. The seeds work down around the air intake area which also houses a breather tube for the carberator. this tube allows the seeds to go directly into the float bowl and plug the main jet. I have 95 and It's been a great quad. A friend of mine told me about the sleeves thee use them at the steel mill where he works. He is part of the maintance department and they use them on gear box shafts.

[This message has been edited by wolfy (edited 11-04-1999).]

[This message has been edited by wolfy (edited 11-05-1999).]

Old 11-05-1999, 08:58 AM
Range Rover

I would say that your machinist took you for a bit of a ride. Those sleeves you're referring to can be put on over the worn part of the shaft without machining. The seal will just fit right on over top of the new sleeve. The inside of the seal is flexable enough to allow for it. Trust me, I am a machinist, and I do it for a living. The only way machining the shaft would have been necessary would be if you were having the worn area built up with metal spray. If your rear axles were worn, you might want to take a look at the front, because it probably is too. Just keep in mind that now that you have the speedy sleeve on the back, the next time it wears you can just replace the sleeve. If your front is worn and you want to use sleeves on it too, it can be done without being turned down first....and if your machinist tries to tell you it has to be machined again.... find a new machinist.

Old 11-05-1999, 02:19 PM
Trailblazer

tell me more about this sleeve.is it stainless?i've used them on auto harmonic balancers-didnt know they were avail for other stuff.i just had mine apart,changed the bearing & seal,but didnt like the looks of the axle,thought about trying to find an auotmotive sleeve that would fit.

Old 11-07-1999, 10:23 PM
Range Rover

The sleve we're talking about is called a "Speedy Sleeve". You can get them at most any place that sells bearings & seals. You need to take a measurment from your axle and just tell them at the store that you want a speedy sleve to fit it. I beleive it is made of stainless.