Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

00 Kodiak

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-1999, 11:42 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We finally got 2 Kodiak Me and a friend, What a machine I a impressed with it so far it's a real nice bike. We were going to get the Grizzly but I am glad we got the Kodiak. I was a mechanic for several years I have worked on all types of equipment so I am particular about what I am buying and have been on the look out for almost 2 years. The people around think I am a little off, as soon as I got the machine here I started taking things apart checking out bolts and things for tightness. It all seemed pretty good except how the dealer had set things up, found several items that needed attention, the dealer did not pay to much attention to how he set things up. He was to quick, all is good and it runs well I am pleased with the bike and think I made a wise choice. This is a good peice of equipment and well built!--------------------Kyle Kimball Nederland Texas

------------------

[This message has been edited by etkimball (edited 11-06-1999).]

Old 11-11-1999, 08:06 AM
Trailblazer

I also purchased a '00 kodiak for my wife its an excellent bike,two weeks after I bought it the dealer called us in a panic telling us not to drive it because the dealer installed winch was shorting out possibly causing a fire,the dealer told me what to do,it was simply put two tye-wraps on the two cables coming from the battery to the winch the dealer had loosly passed the wires to close to the left front shock this would cause the wires to rub and short out simple fix but this dealer was also in a rush to put bike together.I wish my '00 grizzly worked as good as the new kodiak,also I seen in the usa that you dont get a speedometer onthe kodiak all the ones I have seen have one,also the kodiak I have is that yamaha blue makes a nice looking bike but we cant get the beige colour here in canada.

Old 11-11-1999, 09:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

You get a speedometer on the 00 Kodiak in Canada? Amazing! I bought one about a month ago and really love the machine. The only negative thing I can say about it is that it did not come with a speedometer. I really don't miss the speedometer that much, however I do miss the trip meter and odometer. Since I know there is one made that fits now, I wonder if it is available in the states as an add on. I would buy one in a minute. Anybody done this? Also, I wonder why ATV Connection has not done a "first look" for the Kodiak. From the few posts I have seen and the people that I have talked to, everone seems to love them. I know I do. I had a 93 Kodiak before this one and it was a good machine but nothing compared to the advanced machine the 00 is.

Old 11-11-1999, 11:06 PM
Pro Rider

Wise choice the Grizzly is garbage, I know, since I own a 1999 Grizzly, its been nothing but electrical problem headaches. Good luck with the Kodiak!

Old 11-11-1999, 11:58 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yamaha lists a Speedometer kit as well as tachometer/hourmeter in their accessory catalog. Call a Yamaha dealer, I am sure they will be able to get one for you.

Old 11-12-1999, 12:28 AM
Trailblazer

Kyle Kimball here, I called Yamaha about the speedometer and odometer. They also are going to offer a tach-hour meter. The speedometer part number is as follows SGH-W-0081-00-KT $99.95, and the hour meter is ENG-METER-4C-01 $45.00, If you call and place an order they will be shipped out as soon as they are received at Yamaha to the dealers. They also stated that the reason that Canada has the speedometer is that they are ahead of the US on getting parts in. If ya'll need other information e-mail me or write here. etkimball@msn.com
P.S. I also asked why the Kodiac would run with the Grizzly up to mid range speeds and he said that they built the Kodiac just as fast, but it did not offer as much torque as the Grizzly for doing the real heavy jobs. The Kodiac would do all the same jobs just not as easy if you are having to use all the torque the machine has. The water cooling offers an extended time of heavy use and gives extra torque when the machine is under a full load because it's cooler.

------------------

Old 11-12-1999, 12:39 AM
Range Rover

Will these new parts fit a 99 Wolverine, or are they just for the Kodiak?

------------------
Boomer '99 Wolverine

Old 11-12-1999, 04:33 PM
Trailblazer

Its not much of a speedometer and it only has a tripmeter on it,actually I find it looks cheap compared to the rest of the bike but I guess its better then nothing.Its sits in the middle of the indicator lights.

Old 11-12-1999, 09:24 PM
Trailblazer

They told me that it is for the Kodiak, but it might go on other 4x4s. I have not seen any pictures on the speedometer, I hope it is not to large so its fits right between the handle bars and not in the way of the temp guages. I have several friends that looked at the bike, looks like some might buying a Kodiak also.

------------------

Old 11-12-1999, 10:25 PM
Trailblazer

I went and measured the speedometer its about two and a half inches square,it does not block your lights its recessed into the mini dash your ignition key is probably going to stick out more then the speedometer I dont know if this helps,I'm not that good at describing things,but its definatly not blocking any indicator lights.

Quick Reply: 00 Kodiak