Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

What is faster in a drag race 12 or 13 tooth Raptor

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2001, 11:48 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So what is faster in a drag race i know there is a ton of things to take in to hand,but what do you think? I would say 12 tooth all the way. Skydog

Old 09-24-2001, 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

If it was a short drag the 12T would win. But, in a 5th gear pinned drag the 13T would have more top end and win.

Old 09-25-2001, 12:14 AM
Pro Rider

I disagree. The stock gearing wins in either race. Went to a local sand drag and my stock gearing out performed the 1 tooth down in a 200 ft. sand drag.

Note. Everything depends on the launch.

Old 09-25-2001, 12:21 AM
Pro Rider

Chasman you are abslolutely correct it depends on a lot of things like launch,rider ability to shift, and rider weight. But I think what I said before would be true in identical conditions.

Old 09-25-2001, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider

I am with Chasman on this one. The stock Raptor has plenty of power to keep the tires spinning (on dirt or sand) with the stock gearing without bogging the engine. Therefore, you get faster wheel rotation with the 13 tooth front.

Old 09-25-2001, 09:22 AM
Trailblazer

You guys think i should put my 13 back on!? I am in to racing alot of people across open areas! Thankyou Skydog P.S.Anyone have any proven facts that the Raptor is fast with the 13 i dont care about topspeed.

Old 09-25-2001, 09:37 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Given identical machines and equal riders, I would say the 13 tooth Raptor.

I tried a 14 tooth on my Raptor and acceleration was better...this was confirmed with a baseline atv to race with on dirt. Apparantly, the the reason for this occurance lies in the engines excellent torque curve. Mine finally started slowing down when I added 22"
rears with the 14 tooth up front.

When the '02's are available with the lower 1-2-3 ratios, don't be surprised to see them a couple of atv lengths behind the '01's[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 09-25-2001, 10:11 AM
Trailblazer

I think schollz had it right - 12T wins short runs, but a 13T would be the hot ticket on a longer distance. There is plenty of power on tap stock and the lower gearing seems to be more valuable in lower speed situations. However, wheelspin isn't what counts - traction does. All things being equal, the shorter gearing will let the engine get up to speed faster and should make it easier to keep the tires hooked up. I don't know about you guys, but getting a good launch on stock gearing with decent traction was a pain (wheelie-o-rama). The shorter gearing makes it easier to keep things moving forward, not upward. There is a penalty in top speed, but I don't wrap mine out enough to know how much. I would guess ~5 MPH. I would have to do more homework to see how a 14T would be better on even bigger tires. I totally agree that the engine can pull it, but the taller gearing would really have to hit a sweet spot on the power curve for it to be faster off the line.

Old 09-25-2001, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider

Skydog,

The only real way to know is to test it yourself. Don't be surprised if the 12 tooth works better for you one day and then as your skill increases then the 13 tooth works better. chasman drags a lot and has probably perfected his launch with the 13 tooth. Not sure if chasman has played around with a 14 tooth front but Garyc660R did and found it even better for him.

The only argument here is whether a stock Raptor engine has the power to pull 13/40 gearing. It doesn't matter if the race is 10 feet or a 1000 feet. Taller gearing will always be faster as long as the engine has the power to pull it. The question is whether a stock Raptor has the power to more effectively pull 13/40 gearing versus 12/40 gearing. Since my Raptor doesn't bog at all when pulling 13/40 gearing, then the 13/40 gearing results in faster drag times for me. I haven't tried a 14 in front since drag racing isn't really my game. I mostly ride tight mx tracks and trails.

cruz3 hit the nail on the head but countered his own argument at the same time - too much traction on a launch with a 13 tooth that it is hard to keep the front end down. Talk about power hitting the ground and getting traction. A more skilled rider would take advantage of this by putting more weight forward to keep the front end down and keeping this "traction" going. In time, cruz3 will learn to do this and it will result in faster acceleration (given my argument that the 660r has the power to pull this gearing).

Old 09-26-2001, 10:06 AM
Trailblazer

I should be a little clearer on my answer as I didn't tend to counter myself. NotuRaptor is right that taller gearing is always faster for a given engine RPM and part of my response was based on user ineptitude. My problem, and I don't think I am alone, is getting enough weight forward while revving the engine up a little bit while working the clutch for the launch to prevent a wheelie. The shorter gearing has helped me let the clutch out earlier and use the throttle to control wheelspin/wheelie. I weigh around 220, so my putting my weight is usually enough to keep the nose down. As I ride a lot of trails and tracks, the shorter gearing has made it much easier to keep the engine revving without using the clutch.

Quick Reply: What is faster in a drag race 12 or 13 tooth Raptor