Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Best skid plate protection?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the best type and brand of skid plate protection?

Are the yamaha gytr skid plates good?

Any others that are good?

Thanks
Paul

Old 09-25-2001, 08:57 PM
Pro Rider

i like my full length gytr skid. i like how it looks and how it wraps up around the sides a little.

Old 09-25-2001, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

I have the gytr and am very happy with them. Very well constructed but expensive. I would probably go with prm next time.

Old 09-25-2001, 09:42 PM
Pro Rider

i paid $75.00 for my full length gytr skid. i thought that was real reasonable. i am eyeballing the prm for the swingarm skid though. junk plastic stocker is crap! the front mounting holes have pulled through the bolts so just the rear bolts is holding it up! junk!!!! someone should come up with a list of little yamaha not so great designs. could start with bad airfilter setup, steering stem nut looesening, junk skid protection, cheap blue plastic, and so on and so on.

Old 09-25-2001, 10:52 PM
Range Rover

I currently have DG Skids on my Raptor (A-Arm, Chassis, Swingarm). They are OK, but they're not great. I don't like the way the chassis skid plate is designed, It doesn't come around and protect the radiator hose like some other skid plates do.

If I had to buy Skid Plates again, It would probably get them from PRM. I like the design of their skid plates, and I've heard good things about them (skidplates). Also, I've bought some things from PRM in the past, and they have always been real friendly (and fairly cheap).

I've heard the GYT-R Skids are good, except for the Swingarm skidplate. I've heard some complains that the Swingarm skid isn't tough enough, and bends too easy. I can't state this for a fact since I don't own one, but that's what I've heard.

Old 09-25-2001, 10:57 PM
Pro Rider

I have the full GYTR skids and am happy with all but the swing arm skid. There be rocks on trails that I ride and the swing arm skid takes a pretty good beating with it's 4.5" ground clearance. I end up having to bend the plate away from the rear sprocket (& chain) every couple times out. One good sized rock at 30 mph will bend it right into the sprocket.

My suggestion is to look at something a little stronger. You don't get the value for your money with GYTR. The PRM plate looks much more sturdy and I'll probably be upgrading in the future.

Old 09-26-2001, 02:26 AM
Pro Rider

Well i did my research on the skid thing and hears my 2 cents

the gyt-r looks the best but its flimsy and the holes in it can pick up sticks and direct them to your filter. the other brands don't even get in the ball park
so i got the PRM engine skid in the .190 thickness gyt-r is .160
the prm wings are bigger and protect better. had to do some cutting to get the prm
to fit with my gyt-r front bumper..

01 blu 660r

Old 09-26-2001, 06:57 AM
Pro Rider

I got PRM skids and bumpers on the Warrior and they are awesome. I did have to mill the swingarm skid to do around the stock chain guide, but everything else bolted up. I plan on giong with the complete Raptor package pretty soon.

Old 09-26-2001, 01:44 PM
Pro Rider

here's my plan on the best "coverage"

the gyt-r front bumper has the best light protection
the gyt-r a-arm guards have the best coverage due to the lip in front
prm engine skid is thicker has bigger wings no holes. more coverage over all
pro-tech swingarm skid one word "stainless"
prm baja grab bar becuase the stock flag mount is junk.

01 BLU 660R

Old 09-26-2001, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

I have the Pro-tec stainless on the swingarm after a one month disaster with the DG aluminum one breaking apart. The Pro-tec is rock solid but a little heavier. If you want an aluminum one, do some research on the RAD Manufacturing one. It is thick aluminum and it is totally molded so there aren't any welds. I have only read about them in some articles. I would love to hear from someone who actually has one.

Quick Reply: Best skid plate protection?