Yamaha Discussions about Yamaha ATVs.

Bike for the wife?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2001, 08:46 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide what bike to get my wife. She has sat on several and she likes the warrior and the new 250 ex. I think they are both great bikes, the 250 is like $1000 less. I think she would do really good with the no clutch thing also. I know this is a yamaha forum, but if you could put that aside and try to give me an honest answer I would appreciate it. I have tried to talk her into a banshee, but she doesn't want anything that big and it is too much for her to start with anyway. She has rode my raptor, but she says it is to big. The warrior looks about the same size as the raptor, but I am not sure.

Any help is appreciated.
Paul

Old 09-28-2001, 09:10 PM
Trailblazer

Sounds like she would be comfortable with anything in Warrior-Lakota-Rancher range. Does she need or want 4 wheel drive? Something else to consider, the 4 wheel drive will help get her places you power thru on a Raptor, while she just cruises thru at her own pace. Make her decide or she will never be happy. Go out test drive a dozen machines if you have too.

Old 09-28-2001, 09:20 PM
Trailblazer

Maybe a 400ex would be a Perfect quad for her?

Old 09-29-2001, 11:59 AM
Pro Rider

She doesn't want a 4x4. She wants something that is sporty and feels comfortable to her. She says maybe I will want to jump or something in the future. We do sport riding, mostly trails with an occasional trip to the dunes. I want to get her something that can do most anything, but is not overwhelming to her.

She sat on a 400 and says it feels too big for her. I don't know why she says it feels to big, but that is how it feels to her. I have thought about a 300ex, but have not seen one in person. When we get ready to buy, I will take her down to the dealers and we will test ride everything she is interested in. I am leaning toward the warrior, but she seems to want the 250 ex. It is her decision, as she did not interfere when I bought the raptor and she just got a raise and now makes more money than I do. I guess she is my sugar momma now!!!!!!!!LOL

Any other help or suggestions is appreciated

Thanks
Paul

Old 09-29-2001, 12:18 PM
Pro Rider

I think the 250EX won't be enough for her for the dunes. She probably likes the Warrior because the seat height is really low, and if feels more stable. The Raptor is a little bigger than the Warrior, but it actually feels really tall when you sit on it, so she probably doesn't like that.

The Warrior can get around the dunes pretty good, although she won't be winning any races! My Warrior was decent for hill-climbing, but it didn't work very well in the big bowls. Not enough umph or speed or something, and I couldn't stick to the walls very good. Made for some pretty hairy rides. Sold it, got the 400, and now I can go anywhere anyone else goes with no problems, and I stick tight to the walls in the bowls, now!

I would say the Warrior and the 400Ex would be the top two - but ultimately it's whatever she likes best! You can always upgrade later! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-29-2001, 12:33 PM
Pro Rider

400ex w/o a doubt. Get a nice used one!!!!

Old 09-29-2001, 05:05 PM
Range Rover

I would probably vote for the 300ex, unless it's too small for her, then I would go for the 400ex. My wife loves the 300ex. If you are planning on getting into some slow, technical trails, then the 250ex, or something else with an automatic clutch makes a big difference in ease of control.

Good luck,
Lorrin

Old 09-29-2001, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Bro,
Went through the same problem.
Ended up buying the lakota, does the same as all the bikes except has reverse.
After buying the lakota(less than four grand out the door) I tested it out. Asfar as trail riding goes,it flies threw the turns better than I would have to say most.
It has no top end but still faster than the 250ex.
And on this forum I met a graet bunch of lakota riders, learned how inexspensive the flaws were to correct and man, I'm going to keep it for my self.
I don't know about you I'm not rich, the most bang for the buck 2001 "LAKOTA"
Sorry didn't mean to ruin your thread, but the in-sacure honda riders are coming home and thier going to start bitching.

Old 09-29-2001, 07:41 PM
Pro Rider

See, why do you have to say stuff like that? We're all just trying to help...

Old 09-29-2001, 09:12 PM
Range Rover

I think the 300ex or Lakota Sport would be your best bet. Both have reverse and electris start. The Lakota weighs more but they are around the same size.
When I when looking for a quad for my wife we went and looked at a bunch of them. She didn't want to use a clutch but she didn't want a auto(Polaris) but she kind of wanted a utility and it had to have reverse. We mainly trail ride and hit as much mud as possible. I did not think she could lift a 400ex out of a mudhole or backwards up a hill.

She rode the 250EX, Lakota, 220 Bayou, Trailblazer, and TrailBoss. She loved the 250EX but it was way too light in the front end for her, she about wrecked it test driving it. She liked the Lakota but said it felt bulky. She ended up geting the 220 Bayou because of the size and she liked the utility quads.

Take her and let her ride all the different quads and let her decide which one is better for herself.

2000 Polaris 325 Trailboss
~DG alloy bumper (for a 400 scrambler)
~Diamond plate aluminum skid plates
~K&N jet kit with filter.
~RCR green spring & air box modification
~MSR Dominator Handle bars
~Polaris black shock covers
~removed the rack
~removed front & rear mud flaps
~ A TANK!

2001 Kawasaki 220 Bayou(wife’s)
~O’Neal handle bars with Scott grips